Wednesday, February 15, 2023

INTERVIEW with KAREN VAUGHAN


I want to thank Karen Vaughan for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Karen Vaughan lives in Peterborough, Ontario with her husband Jim and a cat named JJ who has plenty of catitude!

Karen started her literary journey in 2005 when she was home on sick leave and was tired of staring at the four walls or twiddling her thumbs. An idea for what would become DEAD ON ARRIVAL popped into her head and the feisty 30 something character Laura wouldn't leave her alone til her story was written. Laura took a break from pestering the poor author so she could write a free standing novel DEAD COMIC STANDING. Soon Laura was on the campaign to get Karen back to what would become the Laura and Gerry series. It now has 7 books, the latest being DEAD TO WRITES.

Karen is the proud mom of one, step-mom of 4 grown kids, and 2 grandchildren. While not writing her fingers to the bone she hosts WRITERS ROUND TABLE, an online radio show the second Tuesday of each month. She is also a partner with Viv Drewa in OWL & PUSSYCAT PROMOTIONS. promoting independent authors.

Karen is also a stand up comedian who does her routine for local talent nights. She also loves reading, crafts and drawing.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

I wrote stories when I was a kid/teenager to keep busy.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Franklin W. Dixon Hardy Boys 

Enid Blydon Famous Five


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Laura Hamilton Fitz is based on a younger version of me.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?  

Life and I ask what if questions.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Characters run the show I am merely the typist.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

Yes I do. For Nigel I picture Ricky Gervais—younger Ricky Nigel is 42.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

I read and I love to crochet and paint.


Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

Michael Connelly, Janet Evanovich


What are your favorite books by others? 

Anything in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

I place both my series in Toronto—I used to live there.


Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

It depends on the story—Lauras stories are written in single and Nigels stories are in multiple.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

The internet and Google in particular.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No I write under my own name. Karen Vaughan.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference? 

I am a mystery writer. I love writing in this genre I have always loved reading a good mystery.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

I have done stand up comedy. 

I have 5 kids –4 are my hubby’s kids. 4 grands -2 boys , 2 girls and several grand dogs and a cat of my own.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

To never give up and don’t let anyone discourage you. It’s your passion keep going!


How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

I try to ignore the bad reviews as they are just someone’s opinion and I can’t afford to let them discourage me.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process? 

I hate editing and marketing.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

I listen to music and I need a beverage and a snack.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Potato chips.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

I would love to spend it with James Patterson and pick his brain to find out how he gets his many ideas.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Diet Pepsi and potato chips.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

I love 70’s and 80s rock.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

Only when she sits on the keyboard...which is often.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Editing


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet and I hope I don’t have to---


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Order take out.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Karen Vaughan!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/02/author-at-glance-karen-vaughan.html


Make sure to give Karen Vaughan a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Karen:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:


No comments:

Post a Comment