Sunday, February 26, 2023

INTERVIEW with TRACY BRODY


I want to thank Tracy Brody for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Tracy Brody has a background in banking, retired to become a domestic engineer, and aims to supplement her husband's retirement using her overactive imagination. She began writing spec movie and TV scripts, however, when two friends gave her the same feedback on a script, saying that they'd love to see it as a book she switched to writing books.

She’s published a series of single-title romances featuring the Bad Karma Special Ops team whose love lives are as dangerous as their missions. She’s a two-time Golden Heart® winner in romantic suspense and six-time finalist.

Tracy and her husband live in North Carolina. She's the proud mother of a daughter and son and now a mother-in-law. She invokes her sense of humor while volunteering at the USO. You may spot her dancing in the grocery store aisles or talking to herself as she plots books and scenes while walking in her neighborhood, the park, or at the beach on retreats with friends.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Even as a child, I had an overactive imagination and would imagine going off on adventures instead of napping. That morphed into casting myself as a female character I’d create on TV shows so I could be the love interest of the characters I was crushing on. (For decades, I thought everyone did that.)

Though I had drafted part of a book in grade school, I didn’t know I wanted to be a writer until I was in my forties. I had studied business in college because my dad said if I studied business or accounting I could get a job. 

I worked in banking for a while, helped put my husband through MBA school, then stayed home raising kids, while secreting still spinning stories about my Hollywood crushes. 😉 

Then in 2003, I came up with a story I couldn’t get out of my head and finally wrote it as a screenplay. After two friends read the screenplay and said how they wanted to see it as a book, I took that as a sign and switched to books.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I read all the time as a kid so there are many – Carolyn Keene’s Nancy Drew books, the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Mary Higgins Clark, Danielle Steele, Judith McNaught, Lavyrle Spencer, Tom Clancy.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My main characters are always fictional, but many of my secondary characters are based on people I know. 

I’m not the first to say "Be nice to me and I’ll put you in a book. If you aren’t nice, I may put you in a book too—and kill you." Though killing can let them off too easy. I’m more apt to make you an unlikable character. Maybe one who steals dentures from other residents in a nursing home or who the hero in Faking it with the Bachelor sends home for bad behavior. 😉


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes things just hit me, though half the time the scene that sparked the story gets cut.

Faking it with the Bachelor was from the ABC reality show The Bachelor. Instead of having a “Virgin Bachelor,” I wanted a hero who was a virgin to the show. 

Faking it with the Green Beret was inspired by the Garth Brooks song “Friends in Low Places” with the hero showing up in combat boots. 

The idea for my work in process, Not Faking it with the Colonel, came about out of my aggravation over all the fake social media accounts claiming to be divorced or widowed military men.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m not formulaic and don’t have an outline I follow. My characters and their situation dictate the story.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Definitely for the heroes. Which makes it tougher to find the right cover art to match up to what I picture and describe. 

For my work in process, I found the cover art before getting locked into what the hero looked like. Here’s the collage for my Bad Karma Special Ops team.

 




Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I watch TV, walk (though I’m usually plotting or dictating) and I love the beach. 

Walking, biking, boogie boarding, and sitting under my Shibumi shade reading or writing.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I am going to pass on this because I have so many author friends that I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.


What are your favorite books by others?

I am going to pass on this because I have so many author friends that I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not really. The mission aspects of my romantic suspense series take place abroad and the team is based at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. 

Faking it with the Bachelor starts in L.A, but includes travel to several states and countries. 

The next two Faking It books take place at Fort Bragg too.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write dual third person POV.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I do a lot of googling and I have a network of military members who are my go-to people for questions. I’m still trying to get a ride in a Black Hawk helicopter and to observe a Special Ops team train or invited to a group get together. 

I’ll supply the barbecue, fixings, and my “Freakin’ Awesome” brownies.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

My first series are tastefully steamy romantic suspense. My Faking It series are romantic comedies that are sweet with some heat. 😉 

All the heroes serve, or have served, in the Army.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I volunteer at the Charlotte, NC USO and have for over sixteen years. It’s a way of giving back to real life heroes.

I also have a sense of humor and I’m not afraid to use it.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

LEARN the craft. No one makes beautiful music the first time they play an instrument. It takes time and willingness to receive constructive (and sometimes harsh) feedback and apply it. 

You may have to rewrite a story multiple times—even abandon your first book or two or more. Don’t give up, but be willing to work. 

Don’t query agents, publishers, or hire an editor after you finish your first book. Get it vetted by working with critique partners, then entering contests or paying for a critique from a profession.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I do read reviews and, yes, some hurt. But I accept I can’t please everyone, and some people simply aren’t my intended reader. 

Art is subjective—and some people you can’t please. Period. I don’t write for them. I write for myself and those who do love my writing. 


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. I’m better at writing fresh than reworking a scene.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I don’t listen to music when writing since I sing (and I cannot carry a tune) but I can tune out the TV or white noise.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I don’t have pets, because of hubby’s allergies and liking the flexibility to head to the beach if an opportunity comes up. I do put animals in many of my books.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Not much. I’ve written through dealing with a family member’s health issues.

But being around negative people does take a toll on my creativity.

Oh, and loud talking people if I’m writing out in public.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Nothing special. Catch up on cleaning and life and do some reading.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Tracy Brody!


Make sure to give Tracy Brody a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Tracy:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok:

Tracy Brody newsletter:

Linkt.ree:


No comments:

Post a Comment