Friday, February 10, 2023

INTERVIEW with KATHLEEN HARRYMAN


I want to thank Kathleen Harryman for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Kathleen Harryman is an award-winning storyteller and poet living in the historically rich city of York, North Yorkshire, England.

Kathleen was first published in 2015 and has gone on to win several awards for her books. Developing a unique writing style, Kathleen Harryman grips the reader holding their attention until they become part of the story.

Kathleen Harryman is a talented multi-genre author of poetry, suspense, psychological thrillers, crime fiction, romantic suspense, historical romance, and paranormal romance.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I wanted to be an author from a very young age, long before I could read and write. My parents always read to me and my sisters, our bedtime stories were the best. 

Obviously, being so young, my writing was nothing more than a scribble on a piece of paper, loops, and plenty of them, were how my stories were created. 

I can’t recall a time when a story didn’t play around my head. This is how my stories always begin, from a walk over the fields, to novel.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

My favourite author when I was little was Enid Blyton. I couldn’t get enough of her books. Secret Seve, Famous Five, and St Clare’s. 

After I had outgrown Enid Blyton, I progressed to Agatha Christie. The first Agatha Christie book I read was The Body in the Library.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

I never consciously replicate someone I know within my writing. My characters may carry some personality traits, but they are nothing like my friends or family. It keeps relationships tidy that way.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Inspiration comes from everywhere. It can be someone I see while out walking, or an idea that floats into my mind from the day’s events. 

This is what I like about writing, there is no one source when it comes to creativity.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

There is always a basic thought pattern with a new story, long before the characters come along. 

When Darkness Falls came from one single sentence – What’s wrong with being a psychopath? And the story developed from there. 

Most of the ideas, for my novels, come when I am out walking, and the scenes play out. From there I write a brief outline, save it, and pick it up when I am ready to write it.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I’ve never used a photograph to create a character, they appear from the story. 

When I wrote Hunted (Book One, in the Vampwitch series) the picture I had of Alice Quinn was of a young woman, long black curly hair, green/gold eyes, and five-feet-nothing. I wanted her to be quirky, not serious. With a drive to protect those she loves. 

For me it isn’t always about looks, but personality, as I feel this adds more depth to the character. It’s also important that all the characters, even the non-likable ones, fit together.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love drawing and graphic art, during the day, and always read on a night.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Oh gosh, that is such a hard question, I read so many talented authors books that it would be unfair to pin it down to a few.


What are your favorite books by others?

I read a multiple of genres. The only genre I’m not so keen on is hardcore horror, I’m too much of a wuss, and love a happy ending. Given this my list of favourite books is endless.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I tend to use locations I know or love. It makes the story more authentic for me.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Both. My romantic suspense, The Other Side of the Looking Glass and WWI romance, The Promise, are both written in multiple POVs, whereas The Darkness Series, Hidden Danger, and Hunted are from a single POV.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I use a combination of, online, books, and conversations (interview) for my research.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No, I use my own name. Life is too confusing; I’d end up signing the wrong name on a book or wondering who I was that day, to use a pen name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write multiple genres, historical romance, psychological thriller, suspense, paranormal romance, mystery, light horror, romantic suspense, poetry. 

I don’t have a preference to either genre, I love them all.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

My dad was a ships plater, it was his job to cut out the plate to the correct size, shape, and I helped him renovate a small boat. I remember sitting in the bowels of the boat painting it with a thick black paint to seal the wood. When the boat was finished, we would all go out sailing down the river. The boat was called June Anne.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

I wrote The Promise with my friend, Lucy Marshall. 

Lucy is dyslectic so I did the writing, and we would meet up, bouncing ideas off each and going over what was written. It was such fun.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Never try to write like anyone else, you are you for a reason. Be strong, and powerful, you’ve got this.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It depends on the review. Some reviews that appear negative are positive as well. I use reviews (good and bad) to become a better writer.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. I write free style first to get the story down, then go back and edit, picking at the holes, questioning what I’ve written. 

When that’s done, I edit again, looking at consistencies, sentence length, readability, and so forth. 

It’s a long lengthy process, before I feel happy enough to send it out for professional editing.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet. Productive writing days are the ones when everyone else (kids, husband) aren’t around. 

The kids are forever coming in to my study to talk, or ask me where they’ve put something because they can’t find it, it throws me off my flow and I end up redoing the same sentence to many times.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I love listening to classical music. No words, just the hum of Rachmaninoff.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Agatha Christie, I love a good mystery. 

It would be interesting to ask her where she went in 1926 after the breakdown of her marriage and find out what she did for the eleven days she was missing.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

There is no real schedule to my writing, though I drink loads of water, it keeps me focused.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Classical music, words get in the way of my writing, though I do like listening to music, such as, Runrig (Scottish band) and Tracy Chapman, etc, when I’m out and about. Some of these songs trigger a connection to the story.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

My dog Reilly Roo tends to let me know when I need to take a break, and it’s time for his walks. If I didn’t have him, I would get lost in writing and I believe it does you good to take a break. Reilly Roo agrees with this theory.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Noise. The kids come home and it’s a constant chatter of “Mum…”


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes, Richard in When Darkness Falls.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

By editing.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Kathleen Harryman!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/02/author-at-glance-kathleen-harryman.html

Connect with Kathleen:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

YouTube:

MEWE:


No comments:

Post a Comment