Sunday, February 19, 2023

INTERVIEW with PAM ACKERSON


I want to thank Pam Ackerson for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Wall Street Journal bestselling, award-winning author, Pamela Ackerson is a time-traveling adventurer. 

She was born and raised in Newport, RI where history is a way of life. She lives on the Space Coast of Florida where everyone is encouraged to reach for the stars! When it's time to run away, she's a hop, skip, and jump from Disney World and fun-filled imagination and fantasy. 

With over 70 published books, she's a multi-genre author writes time travel, westerns, Native American, historical fiction, nonfiction, WW2, inspirational, self-help marketing and advertising, personal and travel journals, and children's preschool/first reader books.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve been telling stories and writing since I was a child.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes, I love history so I tend to throw historical figures in my stories. Also, there’s always a little bit of everyone in my characters.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

We love traveling and seeing museums, old homes. Many of my stories have happened because of those experiences.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

All of my research is sitting next to me. I have a general idea of what I’m writing from beginning to end. Sometimes I’ll write an outline and sometimes, I pants it.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I have had people in mind with a couple of books but I’ve never used a photo or anything like that.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Sitting back and relaxing is a rare thing for me to do. I’m always on the go. Since I work from home, sometimes we run away to Disney, St. Augustine, or the beach.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Absolutely. I think a major part of a location/setting gives a deep meaning to the characters in the books. People tend to relate to places and associate people to them.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Most of the time I go with single. Although, I do have a few stories that have multiple POVs.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Books, lots and lots of books. I have a lot of books…


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I’ve been writing and published for over 45 years. I write multiple genres. My first published work was sci-fi romance, and went on from there.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Oh dear jobs: My first job was working in a library. 

After that working through college, (majoring in psychology) I was in the restaurant world. 

I’ve been working marketing/advertising for the past 17 years with AdC book review magazine.

Quirky trait? Don’t touch my desk. Just don’t go near it.

Accomplishments: My very first published short story won first place with sci-fi digest. The real accomplishment was taking another 40 years to finally win another award.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Listen to the advice of seasoned authors. Take what you want and go from there. There are too many people out there claiming to be experts.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Not everyone is going to like my books. That’s okay. Just don’t be insulting.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

I’ve never really had trouble writing. If I don’t feel like writing I don’t. 

Time and silence is more of a battle for me, especially now that hubby is retired.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

A very comfortable chair. I know that sounds silly, but if I’m comfortable I can write interrupted for hours on end.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Werthers


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

If it’s morning, coffee. Cereal with no milk. If it’s afternoon tea.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No. I love music, I sing, play the keyboard, guitar and just feel the songs. But, when writing, music is a distraction for me. I have to have silence so I can be in the story while I’m writing it.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

My cat likes to sit on my arms when I’m typing and won’t leave me alone until she’s happy with how much I’ve petted her. The dog sits at my feet.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Interruptions. People knocking at the door, the phone which I’ve learned to turn off. Hubby… I find it extremely difficult to get back into the story when I’ve been interrupted. 

My youngest daughter used to say I’d disappear into the pages when I was writing. I’ve been so involved writing a story I didn’t hear the rocket go off.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I don’t celebrate until the book is released and then we travel or go out to dinner.

 


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Pam Ackerson!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/02/author-at-glance-pam-ackerson.html


Make sure to give Pam Ackerson a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Pam:

Email:

Website:

Blog:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Facebook:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Sign-Up:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment