Tuesday, February 21, 2023

INTERVIEW with HANNAH KANE


I want to thank Hannah Kane for taking the time for this interview!



BIO:

After a life changing tragedy, I challenged myself to do something I had always wanted to do -write a romance series.

So I am thrilled that I now have two series released.

I remember learning to read at age four and never stopped. Writing came later but that also became a lifelong passion.

I believe the gift of story came from my mother and was so deeply instilled that I logically became a children’s librarian and professional storyteller.

I now spend my days working part time in a crisis center, enjoying family and friends in the comfort of the lakeside neighborhood where I grew up, and of course, happily writing romance.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was a born storyteller and that worked out great for my career as a children’s librarian but I never really considered writing until a few years ago when I began to do it as a grief therapy after my husband died. 

I wish I would have been inspired (or confident enough) to write much earlier.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

My mother read to me all the time but not the books my friends’ moms were sharing. I loved the original Winnie the Pooh and other by A.A. Milne, the original Mary Poppins series by Pamela Travers and she even read my several of the original L. Frank Baum Wizard of Oz series (there are 14 books). I also devoured all the Nancy Drew series. 

As a young teenager I spent almost a year very ill so my mother continued to read to me even then. She chose Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights which probably cemented my love of romance.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My characters are a composite of people I know from life, books, movies and television. The women often have characteristics I had (or had more of).


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I am very influenced by place and can honestly say that stories come to me when I am in a place that moves me or carries strong memories—and that happens often. 

My work is also informed by the deep, unconditional and abiding love I have for the beautiful boy I met when I was twelve and then married. He has been gone almost seven years now but I carry the light of that love with me always.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a basic outline only but fill in as I begin to live with the story and characters. I also write character profiles and find that helps.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I keep a file of character photos and I use it a lot!


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I live near a large park on a lake in a neighborhood I’ve lived in all my life. Walks through that area always bring me peace. 

My favorite way to experience a book is on audible while doing needlework—next to the fireplace or out on the porch.


Who are your favorite current authors to read? (not romance)

Lianne Moriority, Celeste Ng, Sue Monk Kidd, Brene Brown


What are your favorite books by others? (romance)

Stevie McFarlane and Alyssa Bailey were my inspiration to begin writing. I also enjoy Louise Bay and April Wilson.

More recently I have found I like romance and erotica a little darker so I seek out Natasha Knight, and Renee Rose. J.T. Geissinger is a current top favorite.

(I also think I’m in love with audible actor Troy Duran and will listen to anything he reads!)


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

As I mentioned earlier, place is extremely important to me. I have lived in the same neighborhood (3 different houses) for most of my life so my sense of belonging there is powerful and the deep feelings I have for my place influence my writing. 

I like my characters to have strong feelings about where they are. Because I am most comfortable writing what I know, the settings for my stories are all Wisconsin (so far). 


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I am relatively new and so my POV is usually single. 

The last book I wrote (The Billionaire’s Little Girl) did switch back and forth from her to heroine POVs and while I like that form, it’s a little challenging for me.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I am forever grateful to be aging at a time when the internet will keep me connected to the world and allow me to be a lifelong learner. When I am writing about something I do not know up close and personal, I always research the topic. 

I don’t need to write a scholarly treatise on anything but I would hate to dishonor anyone by writing something that was outdated or just not true.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Hannah Kane is my only pen name. There’s really not a story behind that. I chose it quickly and on a whim but I like it (even though there are several authors with that name).


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write contemporary romance/erotica with alpha males and interesting women. 

The new series is DD/lg. I’m not sure why I’ve always liked stories with strong, protective men but maybe because I was an oldest child and felt responsible for many things and sometimes felt ignored and stressed. I wanted someone to rely on and while my husband filled that role, he is gone now.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

After I retired I organized an effort to create a homeless shelter for adults in the city where I live. I was the impetus and my tenacity probably caused it to finally become a reality but an entire community of compassionate people stepped up to work and donate. I know something about shelters so one of my books (Home At Last) has a heronine who manages a homeless shelter.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

They sure don’t bother me and a few have had suggestions that are very helpful.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Sometimes I write myself into a corner and it takes me a few days to fight my way out. That is frustrating.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

I live alone so the quiet and distraction free sanctuary my little house provides is perfect. I like it very quiet.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing? 

I take breaks to eat snacks which almost always involve cheese (this IS Wisconsin).


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Brene Brown. Her extraordinarily beautiful wisdom has impacted my life in many ways.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?

My best writing hours are between 9am and 2pm. Whatever I write at night gets deleted in the morning.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

My playlist is mostly the music from the 60s when I was falling love. But even those oldies have to be quiet when I’m writing.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Cats. All. The. Time. To be fair–it’s their job.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

As in my life generally I overthink things and get bogged down. I miss my husband for a million reasons but one million and one would be his voice asking me “Do you think you might be overthinking that?” Now I have no guard rail.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I really don’t think I would ever do that.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Hannah Kane!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/10/author-at-glance-hannah-kane.html 


Make sure to give Hannah Kane a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Hannah:


Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:


1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your husband. I'm glad you found joy with writing. Your neighborhood sounds like a great creative place to write. Best wishes for continued success.

    ReplyDelete