Thursday, April 27, 2023

INTERVIEW with ERIN BROCKUS


I want to thank Erin Brockus for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Dive Into a Tropical Romantic Escape!

Erin Brockus writes steamy, small town romance set in exotic, balmy locales. Her books provide the perfect beachy escape from everyday life, and she features mature, relatable characters you can’t help but root for. Count on plenty of breezy adventure with a focus on the ocean, especially scuba diving.

Two of her greatest passions are diving and travel, which combine to form the inspiration for her characters and stories. Sipping a cocktail on the beach after a morning of diving is her idea of the perfect day. Erin has even been known to pull on a drysuit and explore the cold, murky waters of the Pacific Northwest. She is also an avid runner and cyclist.

Erin lives with her husband, a scuba instructor, in the middle of Washington wine country. She is currently submerged in her next island escape.

 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I wrote my first novel during 2020 after my job was temporarily halted during lockdown.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Lots! Many of my side characters are based on people I’ve met during travels, or in my everyday life.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I write beach romance with a focus on the ocean. My husband and I love to travel and scuba diving. Our travels and dives have provided many of the settings and experiences featured in my books.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I start with an outline, but characters always come to life during my first draft and change the story.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Nope. It’s all in my head!


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading is always great for that! 

Also, I like to go on walks around the neighborhood. I use this to “talk” to my characters and get them to open up to me. Weird, I know. But it works!


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Melanie Harlow and Corinne Michaels


What are your favorite books by others?

Loved Taste by Melanie Harlow! One of my favorites of all time is Watership Down by Richard Adams


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

The locations are EVERYTHING! The settings in my books (tropical islands and resorts) become characters.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual POV (female and male main characters). Both first and third person.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google, lol


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

No. Erin Brockus is my real name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write steamy small town beach romance. Two of my greatest passions are travel and scuba diving, and both of them make for fantastic settings and plots for my stories. I like a little heat in my stories (about 3 out of 5 🌶️)


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’ve been scuba diving since 1998, and have logged over 700 dives.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Brainstorming the plot, and the specific beats that move the story forward. I don’t plot everything because the story always changes as I write.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Nothing. I tend to move around when I write, both within the house and outside the house—a coffee shop, outside at the park, etc.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I work out before, which helps clear my mind and set me up for success. 

When I’m writing a first draft, I try to keep the momentum going and write nearly every day until I’m finished.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Lyrics distract me so I listen to ambient-type music while I write, using earbuds to block outside noise.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

God, no!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually with a glass of wine (or two!)


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Erin Brockus!


Make sure to give Erin Brockus a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Erin:

Email:

Linkt.ree: 

Website:

Amazon:
All my books are in print and ebook. Most are available in paperback and hardcover, and all are enrolled in Kindle Unlimited.

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


No comments:

Post a Comment