Monday, April 17, 2023

INTERVIEW with KATIE RAE


I want to thank Katie Rae for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Katie Rae was born in Florida where she currently lives with her husband of 20 years. She is a book-obsessed beach bum that loves baseball and baking shows. 

She loves writing and reading to escape the craziness of daily life. 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I wrote poems when I was younger and always had the bug to write novels. I spent years writing incomplete stories until one day I decided to just keep going, check it off my bucket list, and move on.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

Not growing up, but as an adult, I found writing strength in Melody Anne, Max Monroe, and Melody Grace. 

They taught me as a reader how I wanted my writing style to vibe as an author. I wanted to give a reader ALL THE FEELS like they do.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

No. Seriously. Not a single one. 

Since I write about athletes, some may say, “Oh that tight end reminds me of Travis Kelce.” But he was never my muse. I like to dream these guys up and give them life.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 

I love sports with a passion, and I was a military spouse for nearly 20 years. So I drew my sports and military books from my love and life.


Do you use a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

I am definitely a pantser. I have a general idea of where they work, who they are, and what I want the outcome to be, but the rest just flows and I often have to go back and change my foreshadowing depending on what I ended up writing later in the book that seemed to come out of left field.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

No. haha. I laugh because I may be the only one I know of personally that doesn’t. 

FYI, this makes finding cover images hard as no one ever fits the image in my head. I am slowly learned to find the characters first, then write.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

Reading and writing are my obvious answers. But I also love watching football and baseball. Having a game on the TV while I do a puzzle or craft is top tier relaxation.


Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

I read for Callie Rose so that is a given… I am obsessed with her books. I also read everything Eden Summers releases and have become enthralled by Autumn Key. 

None of them write in the same realm as I do so it’s a nice change of pace when I wrap myself into writing a new book.


What are your favorite books by others? 

Torian and Cole by Eden Summers is one of my favorites. It was my first time loving the villain and I covet that feeling I got reading those books.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

In my books, absolutely. I have been an Atlanta sports fan in all sports for a while. Basing some of my books in Atlanta after all the time I have spent there just felt right. It’s like being in my second home when I am there or as I am writing.


Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

Multiple POV. I like knowing what is inside the head of the male main character. Sometimes those inner thoughts are the swooniest.


What do you find to be your best research tool? 

Word Hippo. Haha. I will find myself using the same words over and over again. 

It’s not that I don’t have a huge personal vocabulary but my brain blanks out and I need Word Hippo to save me.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name? 

Sort of. Katie is my real name. It is the only name I write under.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference? 

Contemporary Romance. I am not sure why this is my preference but it comes naturally to me. One day I may change things up.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

Whew. This may be long but…. 

I have not had many jobs in my life. I spent most of my adult years being a military spouse and stay at home mom. We bounced around, moving 11 times, and with hubby always being at a deployable unit, working wasn’t in my cards. 

I used to resent that life, but one day I made the decision to embrace it. Instead of “waiting” for things to do or places to go, I loaded the kids up and went. It made me stronger as a woman and that made me a better wife and mom. I no longer resented our lifestyle, I took pride in who it turned me into. 

Our last few years, I volunteered and tried to help younger spouses embrace the good in their lives. Their independence and everything they were capable of. I am not sure of the impact I had, but I grew as a person even more and its helped me be strong enough to navigate running my own business, writing whatever I want, and fending off judgement along the way.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

It isn’t popular advice, but I think you should write what you know and love. 

Being diverse and learning more about new things can come as you develop your style, but there will be more passion, truth, and drive when you write what you KNOW.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

At first, I cried. Then I wanted to quit. But now I roll with it. Not everything is for everyone. 

I honestly am a lot better at not even checking the 1 and 2 star reviews. 3 star reviews usually have positives and then maybe a critique I can use to grow on. I read those all the time!!! 

But if someone takes the time to write a review for a 1 star, then it’s usually just mean and not very helpful. Their opinion is still valid, but it isn’t something I need to process and dwell on. 


What is the most difficult part of your writing process? 

Titles and blurbs! 

I can write stories for days, but condensing those words into a short summary and poignant title is hard. 


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

Silence! No food or music, nothing. Just my desk, a chair, my computer, and silence.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing? 

Haha. Same answer. As a mom of two young girls, silence is a guilty pleasure. Definitely an indulgence.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

Eden Summers. I just think the world of her. As a fellow author and as her reader. I would want to pick her brain, do something fun, and I am sure there would be a ton of laughs.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 

No food or drink, and no schedule. I literally write as much as possible.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

I love all kinds of music but not when I write. I do use it as inspiration as I am driving or doing things around the house. Lyrics sometimes make me think of a scene I want to write.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

YES! My dog is not small and thinks she needs to be across my arms when I am not at my desk. 

She accidently made me delete a whole chapter one time.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game? 

I am a mood writer. I write how I feel and when I am annoyed, tired, and moody… I have a harder time writing something sexy and fun.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 

Kind of! He was not a main character and only had one scene, but he was a kid and it really impacted readers. Not going to give spoilers though. Hehe.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 

I screenshot those words and send it to my author friends. 

Then I do a dance in my living room while my hubby chants, “Go Katie!” haha. Not kidding. Every time is a celebration.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Katie Rae!



Make sure to give Katie Rae a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Katie:

Email:










Linkt.ree:

No comments:

Post a Comment