Saturday, April 1, 2023

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - New Beginnings Series by Marielle de Vassoigne


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
New Beginnings Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Marielle de Vassoigne's New Beginnings Series!


***Synopsis***

New Beginning in Vancouver is a contemporary romance about Maxime, a successful yet complex, independent businesswoman. Taking a leap of faith, she has moved to Vancouver from Montréal, to become a successful entrepreneur and owner of the Salon Blossom—Flowers and Teas. In this first story, she discovers a whole new facet of life she’d previously ignored over decades.

In the sequel, Choosing Love Over Pride, Maxime faces new joys and challenges, some announced in the epilogue of the 1st novel. This tale, full of twists and roller coaster rides for the reader, prompts many emotions, daring them to remain open-minded while rethinking relationships and their structures, to promote inclusion and acceptance.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Although both fictions are contemporary romances, New Beginning in Vancouver is more a romantic suspense and Choosing Love over Pride more psychological.

The prologue in the first book sets the plot with an ambiguous situation. I had a back story to the end from the start but discovering my characters personalities and growing fond of some of them more than others, I had to change the ending, without editing the prologue too much.

For the sequel my goal to surprise readers, as well as more connection with my characters, got me to completely change the plot, once again.

A common thread in contrasts and surprises. I tend to use metaphors and oxymorons to pace the story.


Are you more character or plot driven?

I would say a fair balance of both. I remain true to my characters’ personality, so they often prompt their reactions or the next step.

However, I start with a rough idea of the end in mind and retro-analyze it with “Whys” to remain consistent. And my ground rule is to regularly surprise the reader, so I may tweak the plot characters suggest for the sake of keeping readers on their toes.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

As a reader as much as a writer, I find it critical not to have to wonder “who’s that again?” in the middle of the narrative.

I’ve included in each book some sort of family —and friends— tree accelerate the discovery process, and easily visualize who’s who when in doubt.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Oh yes! Actually, I’ve been totally taken aback, growing attach to one of them in particular. She changed the story I had in mind, not only for herself, but her close ones as well.

My Sophia ­—she’s the one I’m talking about— she became a daughter for Maxime, and myself.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

They all are a mix of people I’ve met, and relationships I envision. A merge of experiences, lessons learned and manifestation.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

The answer is the same. Maxime, the lead character is an alter-ego, a version 3.0 of myself for some aspects —more intelligent, connected, and opened. Although some aspects of her personality don’t fit me at all.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

I’ve cried a lot writing the second part of Choosing Love Over Pride. Transforming the prince in a snake was terrible. And finding the words to express the emotions I wanted my characters to feel and share with readers.

It was even more difficult writing in English when my native language is French.

For New Beginning in Vancouver, the difficulty came from discovering the practice of writing along the way. Also in part two, the scene where Maxime’s business is victim of a cyber-bullying. Making her vulnerable when she thought she was so grounded and in control made me shed some tears.


What is your favorite book in the series? 

Ask a mother which child in her favorite. I deeply loved the discovery of writing in New Beginning in Vancouver. It was also a personal therapy in the peculiar context of the pandemic, and talking about romance which is not my forte.

I fall in love again with Choosing Love Over Pride. I was pushed out of my comfort zone, addressing some topics like depression, divorce, and unconventional relationships.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Sophia with no hesitation. That kid took me by surprise. I would love to meet her. 

I fantasize on making a TV series of my novel, and I’d love to coach and bond with the actress playing her.


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Hmm. It’s difficult to answer this without spoiling Choosing Love Over Pride. Let’s say Maxime and her husband.

Also, Gabriel and his daughter are another kind of extraordinary duo.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA?

Who said there was an HEA? It’s all about life’s rollercoasters. But seriously, I want my novels globally positive so, yes to the HEA.

And the best way to get it is exactly that, taking the time to get in their head, shaping them with details, habits, and flaws. Showing and telling what makes them human in that parallel world. Then, they take over, and as any of us, what they want is the HEA. Connecting with them, handing off the keyboard to them when needed is my way to find the perfect HEA.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

There are a few. If I must choose one, there’s a scene I’ve labelled “Max and Gabriel’s last supper”. It could be it. That’s where the snake slays the prince. And where I had to end the fairy tale.


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

The one I’m currently writing is the real challenge. A gruesome event in my personal life put a hold to my writing for a while, and it was so close to the ones in my initial plot for the ending of this trilogy.

Now, because of the topics raised in Choosing Love Over Pride, it was hard to commit to it, and experience the emotions I wanted to describe and share with readers. So, writing this one was harder.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

I’ve just decided for the new ending for this last book, and it will include more POVs than in the previous two, to wrap up the tale of Maxime and her family.


How long did it take you to write this book/series?

I had to write the first book in September 2020, while I was still in Montreal, and launch the publishing process in September 2021.

I started the sequel right then and completed the first draft of the manuscript in September 2022.

So, two years for the two published novels.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

Both titles are something Maxime says.

For the first, it was fast and obvious because of the reason why I started to write. The sequel remained “Book2” until late in the last chapter of part two, when Maxime reveals me the title.

As for naming the series, I now believe I was too fast, naming it “New Beginnings”, it’s so cliché and déjà-vu.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

I believe so. That’s how they were created. Even the snake, although it might the only one I’ve met in real life.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

I couldn’t part from any of them. They all asked to continue.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Ha! I still can’t visualize them enough to answer this. One sure thing it would have to be a diverse casting, as Maxime tells Gabriel: 

“Do you realize the two of us incarnate five continents? Being a Creole, I’m a blend of Africa, Europe, and the Caribbean which is South America. And you’re a mix of North America and Asia.” To which he replies that one of his grandfathers was born in Australia. Six continents are represented in the blends of that casting.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

The snake is embodied by different characters along the series. For the final, benevolent Miss Maxime will host it herself, at least for a moment. But what could shake enough to have such a shift in personality?

Also, I’ve been entertaining an idea for another series, related to this one. One question of this interview confirmed, I’d like to give each key character their own book.

Thank you so much, for giving an indie, organic writer a chance to share the blessings. Because that’s what my writing exploration is all about. Adding snippets of joy and blessings to count.


 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Marielle de Vassoigne!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/03/author-at-glance-marielle-de-vasseigne.html


BIO:

After spending half her life in Montréal, Marielle de Vassoigne moved to Vancouver, BC during the pandemic in January of 2021.

Just like her main character Maxime, she was born in France and grew up in Martinique, a French Caribbean Island, before moving to Canada.

An organic writer, she’s published two novels, which is an outcome from her many experiences. The stories have been influenced by her core belief—that a rich life is filled with kindness, curiosity, and exploration—as well as values of diversity and inclusion.


Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Pinterest:



NEW BEGINNING IN VANCOUVER by Marielle de Vassoigne

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WCTDP21

BLURB:

"Hmm. I have no history here, no family he can threaten me with. The only thing I have is the Blossom shop. Believe me, I'll do whatever it takes to defend it."

I stated this in a voice that is no longer flat. Yet I freeze. I only have the Blossom and . . . Gabriel.

Maxime, a grounded and resilient WOC (woman of colour), has moved to Vancouver after spending half her life in Montréal. Taking a leap of faith, she has changed careers to become a successful entrepreneur and owner of the Salon Blossom—Flowers and Teas.

Driven by her core belief—a rich life is filled with kindness, curiosity, and exploration—she makes a 360-degree life transformation. In this new stage of her life, Maxime encounters several challenges and blessings.

The Easter egg for this book will be Miss Maxime's series of playlists, as the novel is scattered with musical references.


CHOOSING LOVE OVER PRIDE by Marielle de Vassoigne

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BV4SWRQV

BLURB:


"Max, do you remember the proposal-gate?"

"How could I ever forget, sweetie? You made sure no one would. Why do you ask?"

"Was it worth it? I mean, I recall being a fierce advocate for the 'I do.' But when I think of how much Dad and you have suffered because of love I wonder. Was it worth it?"

Maxime's stepdaughter refers to her father's legendary attempt to propose in New Beginning in Vancouver, the prequel to this book. This new stage of Maxime's life navigates us through a rollercoaster of emotions while she must face new joys and challenges.

I hope you will enjoy, laugh and cry reading their story as much as I did when I wrote it. I offer you an opportunity to complete the experience of reading this novel appealing to all senses with a soundtrack, available on my author website: marielledevassoigneauthor.com.

Finally, as I identify as a BIPOC and LGBTQ+ ally, this book reflects once again my core belief: a rich life is filled with kindness, curiosity, and exploration, as well as values of diversity and inclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment