Sunday, February 5, 2023

INTERVIEW with CALLIE PEY


I want to thank Callie Pey for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Callie Pey writes steamy epic fantasy romance. She lives in Austin, TX with her partner and their German Shepherd, Luna, and two cats, Pandora and Eevee. She loves to hike, listen to music and take pictures while looking for the best in life and nature.

Currently she has four books out in her Dryad Chronicles series available in KU and eBook formats. Book 5, which is the final book in the series will be coming out in 2023. She has two Novellas that spin off from this series. Cursed was released on Nov 18th and To Make a Monster comes out in Feb 2023.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I used to write when I was in high school and gave it up for a while. About four years ago, I decided I wanted to dive into creating a fantasy story that I could love and find readers like me to share my world with.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I enjoyed reading R.A. Salavatore, K.A. Applegate, Charlaine Harris, and just about anything science fiction I could get me hands on growing up.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No 😊


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Nature, magic and witchcraft, music, D&D


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I am a plantser for sure. My best system is that I have the outline or the story arch and then the characters add flavor and twists as I write.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No, it’s all in my head.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I read tons as well (I read 149 books last year!), I also enjoy hiking, historic locations and ghost hunting!


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

My favorite authors right now are Kat Kinney, Sydney Winward and Kat Bethel. They are on my auto buy list.


What are your favorite books by others?

Bloodmoon, Texas Shifter Series by Kat Kinney

Bloodborn by Sydney Winward

PenPal by J.T. Gessinger


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

It’s my world and I’ve been building it for years. It’s become a home away from home to me but not some place others can visit in the real world.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple


What do you find to be your best research tool?

People, Google, Music


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, this is my pen name and no, I only have the one.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Fantasy Romance because I have always loved the fantastical and the worlds beyond our own. I love telling and reading stories about love, partnership and beating the odds as a team.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m a realtor by profession, and artist by degree. 

I’ve run four half marathons and done one 13 mile tough mudder. 

I’ve been married to my partner for ten years. 

I was a bartender through college and ran a wedding photography business for quite a number of years. 

¾ of my parents were military and I worked in the show world for a few years leading to an obsession with punctuality and process creation even while being creative.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write what you love and read in the genre that you write. 

Keep your goals and your stories in mind first and let the rest come. 

It’s a noisy world, and don’t become defeated by feedback and criticism, take what you can grow from and then let the rest go.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I’m a Leo so I love reading the feedback and if it’s negative, I usually read it, sulk, and then determine what of it I can grow from and what perhaps just didn’t line up with the reader and my story. 

Not every book is for every person and that’s okay. They just may not have been my reader.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Getting out of my own way and just putting the words down. I can have times where I overthink, and it paralyzes me.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music and a comfy straight chair


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Cherry vanilla coca cola


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Perhaps Amelia Hutchins and/or Sarah J Maas because they are the big names in my field.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

It depends on where I am in the process, but usually I try to write in the mornings and then do marketing once I become distracted by my work. Evening I will pick up writing again.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I am very eclectic when I listen to music to write. Here’s my epic series playlist:  Spotify


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Oh yes! Eevee is obsessive and loves to cuddle while I write, or climb over my desk to sit in windows and on my laptop. They all love to be with me and I get distracted easily by repetitive noises. 


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Negative thoughts about my story or abilities.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Debated it quite a few times, but then my characters found their own way to avoid those plans.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Just did my first one after finishing the end of my first epic series. I had a shot, but I was quite sick. 

I wasn’t prepared for how happy and sad I was about this major milestone.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Callie Pey!


Make sure to give Callie Pey as shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Callie:

No comments:

Post a Comment