Sunday, February 5, 2023

INTERVIEW with JADE LAZLOW


I want to thank Jade Lazlow for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

The graveyard overlooking Jade Lazlow's hometown is visible from everywhere, like an ever-present reminder of mysterious forces beyond the veil. The town had been a station on the Underground Railroad, so it's steeped in history and legend. It's also not far downriver from Mothman country. It was against that backdrop that Jade discovered her love of writing and all things creepy.

She garnered inspiration from local legends told in hushed whispers, creepy comic books, and thrillers and mysteries from the town's library.

Jade typed her first novel on a broken manual typewriter that was missing a few key caps. She had to keep moving the remaining caps around to type. "A friend gave me the typewriter to help me get started, and I thought it was the most wonderful gift I'd ever received. I had to keep moving the key caps around to depress the levers to type to keep from hurting my fingers. It was a pain, but it was still faster than writing by hand. It was more than just a typewriter to me. It meant someone else thought my writing was worth reading, and that made me happy."

Urged by her perennially practical parents to “grow up” and get a “real job,” Jade worked in broadcasting as an announcer, an electronic graphics operator, a master control switcher, an audio producer, and a voiceover personality for local affiliates for local ABC and NPR affiliates, House of Commons Film Video and Multi-image Productions, and The Learning Channel (TLC). She later pursued a career in education for more than twenty-five years.

Through it all, she never lost the nagging itch to write and tell stories. Despite having a crooked path to publication, Jade was "born to be a writer," and she is delighted to finally have the time to do it. She also independently narrates and produces audiobooks. "There's nothing more exciting," she says, "than creating great stories and finding that people enjoy them." “Like most of my fellow indie writers,” she explained, “I work a day job while practicing my craft in my spare time. Writers are like struggling actors working toward fulfilling their dreams.

"I’ve been in love with mysteries and creepy stories since I was a kid watching Scooby-Doo cartoons. I grew up reading Trixie Belden, The Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew. Horror films were my obsession. Night of the Living Dead, vampire and werewolf movies, anything creepy was my jam. It was always fun to experience a great thriller, and that’s what I hope to bring to my readers."


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve known since childhood. Books were my oldest and dearest friends. 😊 

I used to write stories for my classmates that were basically soap operas featuring them as the main characters.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

There have been so many. I loved classics, pulp fiction, romance, gothics of any genre, and horror. 

The first favorite I remember is Beverly Cleary. I adored the Nancy Drew books too. As a teen, I liked Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Usually, my characters are compilations of imagined personalities and small parts of real or fictional characters. I try to give them enough reality to be credible and enough imagination to be original.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My ideas come from everywhere. I might get inspiration from a news event and then expand on it by asking “what if” questions. 

What if the car in front of me has a kidnap victim in the trunk? 

What if the woman beside me in the checkout line is in the witness protection program? 

If one of those ideas takes hold, I continue expanding on it until it’s fully formed.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

I start with a loose idea of where I’m beginning, the main happening or event, and what the end result will be. With that basic road map in place, I let my characters graze and run wild - within reason.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes. It depends on how complex the work is and how many characters are involved.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I like playing mindless games, doing crochet, napping with my dog, and listening to podcasts and audiobooks.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

That’s a tough one. I’ve been focusing on my fellow indie authors lately. It feels good to support others who are also working on their own to create great stories. I like reading their work, leaving reviews, and supporting them in other ways when I can.


What are your favorite books by others?

That’s another tough one. Lol. 

I love Karen Vaughan’s Laura and Gerry books because they’re smart, witty mysteries. 

Marta Moran Bishop’s books make me think. 

A.M. Geever’s books have unique perspectives on the zombie genre. 

Emily Kimelman has the toughest heroine I’ve found. 

Amanda Hocking taught me I can go after my dreams as a writer. 

I could keep going, but you get the idea.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Usually, I choose locations based on what they can do for the characters and the story. When possible, I’ve visited locations, but COVID kind of put the brakes on that.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I’ve done both.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I use a pen name. For now, I have just one.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I like working in mystery and horror.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Let’s go with the quirky traits. I’m a beekeeper. I love those little critters. They are absolutely fascinating.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

I’m just me. Well, and the voices in my head.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Never stop learning. Continue working on your skills, and write what you love.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Constructive critiques are sometimes helpful if they point out things I could improve on. 

I ignore negative reviews that are not constructive.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. It’s hard to step outside of your own thought process and look at your work with fresh perspectives. The best way I’ve found to do this is to put your work away for a while and go back to it later. At least a month.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

My dog or one of my cats. They’re great.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Lots and lots of coffee, chased with something cold like a soft drink on ice.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

If I had to choose a mainstream author, I’d pick J.K. Rowling. I’d love to watch her plotting process.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I work full time, and I’m also a caregiver, so time is a precious commodity. 

I do my best work early before anyone gets up or late when they’re in bed. 

I don’t usually snack, but when I do, it’s something fast and easy like granola bars, trail mix, or peanut butter on toast. I drink coffee, ice water, or soft drinks.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

Most of the time, I write in silence. If I get stuck, I may play ambient jazz or background music that fits my theme.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

Yes. One cat in particular gets between me and my keyboard and kneads for what feels like hours. She lays on my hands.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Interruptions and questions. If someone asks questions or interrupts me in a way that requires a lot of thought, I’m done.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes, and I cared about him too. I hated it and still feel bad about it.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Sleep. Lol I don’t have a regular routine. Instead, I do whatever feels good at the time. It may be dinner out, having something at home, having a long soak in the tub with bubbles, or just whatever hits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment