Wednesday, February 1, 2023

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - THE ROCK STAR'S WIFE Series by Melina Druga



THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
The Rock Star's Wife Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Melina Druga's The Rock Star's Wife Series!


***Synopsis***

The Rock Star’s Wife series is a contemporary fiction series about sex, family, and rock & roll.  It has elements of chick lit, romance and erotica and is best compared to The Vagina Monologues for its frank talk of sex and its consequences.

The series follows Cassandra from her teen years into her 40s as she navigates relationships (both romantic and platonic) — all with music playing a prominent roll.

Each book in the series can be read as a standalone.  It is the characters that tie the series together.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

The series is chick lit/women’s lit with strong elements of erotica and some elements of romance.  The nature of story led me to the genre(s).


Are you more character or plot driven?

Character driven.  The entire series is main character Cassandra’s diary, told in first person, present tense.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I have a Word document where I keep track of each character’s bio.  I really only need that to keep track of dates.  They are distinct people to me, and I don’t need the help otherwise.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Yes.  In Sexual Awakening, Jason was originally intended to be Cassandra’s favorite high school boyfriend, not Todd.  

In Mr. Right is a Myth, Corey was never intended to play such an important role in Cassandra’s life.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

Cassandra is the character that most closely resembles me.  We have many of the same likes and dislikes, and I also was able to live vicariously through her in a variety of situations.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

The hardest scene to write was the final scene of Mr. Right is a Myth.  The series is called The Rock Star’s Wife, so there must be a parting of ways at the end of the book.  However, that didn’t make the scene any easier to write.


What is your favorite book in the series? 

Rock Star Romance.  It’s the book where Cassandra finally becomes The Rock Star’s Wife and finally finds what she’s been seeking – a man who loves her for her and who can love her forever.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Cassandra.  Like I said, she’s a combo of fact, fantasy and downright fiction.  But I’ll never tell which parts are which.


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Of course, Cassandra and Nat, the rock star.  They have a loving, often hot and heavy, relationship.  They do endure some challenges, but they’re partners and strength for each other.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA?

Cassandra spends two books searching for Mr. Right, whom she is convinced doesn’t exist.  When she finally finds him, she can’t believe it.  I had to juxtapose her past with her present.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

Wow.  That’s a tough one.  I don’t think there’s one particular scene that I feel is better than the rest.  Same for the books.  They simply continue Cassandra’s adventures.


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

I don’t know if it was more difficult, but for The Pandemic Diaries I needed to dredge up old feelings surrounding the start of the pandemic.  I also needed to couple that with the characters’ financial fears because the pandemic so negatively affected the music industry.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

The only books that have any POV other than Cassandra’s are the Christmas stories.  

No, I don’t think I’ll write another book or series using any other The Rock Star’s Wife characters’ POVs.  The single POV books are stronger, in my opinion.  

I have written some short stories featuring other characters, but I’m not sure I’ll ever publish those.


How long did it take you to write this book/series?

I began writing in early 2020.  Not all the books are in their final drafts but they all are written.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

The series title was pretty easy.  It is about Cassandra and she is a rock star’s wife.  

The book titles were a bit more difficult.  My husband and I brainstormed potential titles for each then narrowed it down to the one that fit best.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

I probably would with everyone but Greg and Katrina and maybe Cassandra’s parents.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

The series started as a collection of short stories written for fun.  Eventually, I had 110,000 words written just in short stories.  They took place in various stages of Cassandra’s life.  

I decided to break the stories into segments and fill in the gaps in time.  Each segment became a book.  The holiday stories were written later.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

No idea.  I follow the music industry. I haven’t watched a movie in years.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

The Rock Star’s Wife series publishes now through 2026.  If readers love the series, I may continue it into Cassandra’s middle age.   

Or I may consider a related series called The Rock Star’s Daughter or something similar.  I’ve also considered writing some alternative stories where she stays with Todd or Corey, or writing more short stories from different character perspectives.  

But, if readers don’t connect with the series, The Christmas Gift will be my final book.

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Melina Druga!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/01/author-at-glance-melina-druga.html



BIO:

Rumor has it that Melina Druga came out of her mother’s womb with a pen in her hand.  While we can neither confirm or deny this, you could say she was destined to become a writer. 

Melina was so young when she began writing that she can’t remember exactly when the urge began.  She does remember, however, her first novel – an historical fiction story about two sisters living in an Ohio canal town in the 1840s – that she wrote at age 10.

Music keeps Melina sane, and it has gotten to the point that she cannot write without it.  It keeps her awake, alert, motivated and productive.  Music has even inspired her fiction.  And not just The Rock Star’s Wife series.  The My Chemical Romance song “Mama” was the inspiration for her historical fiction novel Angel of Mercy.

Melina lives in the Midwest with her husband, daughter, black cat, books and CD collection. 

Melina is the author of the upcoming Rock Star’s Wife series, a contemporary fiction story about sex, family, and rock & roll. She also has written six historical fiction novels and nine nonfiction books.


Connect with Melina:

Website:

The Rock Star's Wife Series website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

YouTube:

Spotify - The Rock Star’s Wife playlist:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


You can also find Melina at the following retailers:

Angus Robertson:

Apple Books:

Barnes and Noble:

Bookshop:

Indigo:

Kobo:

Otto Book Store:

Scribd:

Tidepool Book Shop:

Vivlio:


 



SEXUAL AWAKENING
The Rock Star's Wife - Book One

Available in Kindle Unlimited!


Teenager Cassandra Economos loves five things: Her awesome friends. Her big fat, dysfunctional, Greek family. Rock music. Her plan to move to Chicago. And Kurt Cobain. Soon, she’ll gain another love. Sex. Stifled by her family’s rules, how will Cassie explore her sexuality?

Everything I know about sex I learned from health class diagrams and from reading erotica books I secretly borrowed.

Boys never paid attention to me in middle school. Then it happens. Keith Cook starts a conversation with me. We play Seven Minutes In Heaven, and somehow he’s my boyfriend. My sister tells me he isn’t a great one because he never calls, and he keeps pressuring me do things I’m not ready to do. After Kurt dies, I realize life is short and nothing’s stopping me from having sex with Keith. Except for one thing – he betrays my trust.

That same week, Todd Miller comforts me when I ditch class to mourn Kurt. Todd’s definitely an upgrade from Keith. He listens and can hold an intelligent conversation. He cares about my opinion. And he has a body all the girls drool over.

Our first kiss is mutual. The first time he touches me is mutual. When he pops my cherry, that’s mutual, too, even if I am jail bait. We said we’d wait until I turn 17, but we just couldn’t. We want to be together so badly it hurts. I never feel pressured with Todd. That’s how it’s supposed to be, isn’t it, when a guy cares about you?

Book one in 
The Rock Star’s Wife series, a series about sex, family, and rock & roll. It contains coarse language, sexual situations and adult themes, and is intended for mature audiences.




MR. RIGHT IS A MYTH
The Rock Star's Wife - Book Two


Co-ed Cassandra Economos has a plan. Earn her degree then move into a Chicago penthouse. If she can meet a guy who accepts her, high sex drive and all, that’s an added bonus. But how many frogs must she kiss before she meets a prince?

Weeks before high school graduation, Jason Brookes broke my heart. I didn’t love him. Still don’t. What broke my heart is the accusation that I have no ambition. He said all I think about is sex. If that’s true, then how did I become class salutatorian and earn a full ride scholarship to the University of Illinois?

I’m prepared to start dating again. A guy must exist who will accept me for me, right, even if I am always in the mood?

I once had that guy, but I let him slip through my fingers. Maybe things would have turned out differently had I realized the quality of guy I had when we were going out. Todd Miller, my first real boyfriend, not only accepted me, he treated me with kindness and understanding, and he loved me.

I think about Todd constantly. No one lives up to his standard. Believe me, I’m trying to find someone who does, but increasingly I’m convinced Mr. Right is a myth created to trick dewy-eyed romantic girls. Is there a guy made for me? Is there the “one”?

Book two in 
The Rock Star’s Wife series, a series about sex, family, and rock & roll. It contains coarse language, sexual situations and adult themes, and is intended for mature audiences.


STAY TUNED FOR THE UPCOMING BOOK IN THE SERIES!

Rock Star Romance – February 2024
Rock Star Mom – August 2024
Sex & Surprises – February 2025
Family Uproar – August 2025
The Pandemic Diaries – February 2026
Rock Star Parents – August 2026 

There also are four holiday stories featuring characters from the series.



Christmas Surprise
The Rock Star's Wife - Holiday 2023

Release Date: September 12, 2023
Pre-Order your copy today!

Two couples. One bound for forever. One living in the moment. A Christmas they won’t forget.

Cassandra: My boyfriend Corey often quotes love poetry, but he’s never directly told me he loves me. But a man doesn’t give a woman love poems unless he loves her, right? I just wish I knew for sure. This weighs on my mind, putting a bit of a damper on the holidays.

Corey: I love Cassandra so much my heart aches, but I can’t force myself to tell her how I feel. We’ve always lived in the moment, knew from the beginning that our relationship will end after she graduates and moves. That’s a short five months away. How can I tell her how I feel without spoiling our understanding?

Phil: I’ve loved Jennifer since we were in high school. Making my move was the best thing I’ve done in my life. Now, I’m ready to make another move and ask her to be my wife. Too bad my overbearing family won’t keep their opinions to themselves.

Jennifer: Phil’s a keeper. He treats me better than any of my past boyfriends. It feels as if we were always meant to be. I want to spend the rest of my life with him. There’s just one complication. His traditional family’s expectations could keep me from my dream wedding.

This book features characters from 
The Rock Star’s Wife series – a series about sex, family, and rock & roll. Like the rest of the series, it is intended for mature audiences. It contains coarse language, sexual situations and adult themes. Christmas Surprise takes place between Chapters 34 and 35 of Mr. Right is a Myth.


Holiday Homecoming – September 2024
Holiday Headaches – September 2025
The Christmas Gift – September 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment