Friday, August 6, 2021

INTERVIEW with MARY WEHR




I want to first thank Mary Wehr for taking the time for this interview!


I hope that you enjoy this interview as much as I have!  And she's not the only one showing her age - Clint Walker...yes!  I think his contract had a clause that he be required to not wear shirts!  😋

Be sure to give Mary a shout-out and make sure to FOLLOW her on all her social media!


BIO:

Mary Wehr is a USA Today Best Selling Author.  Her favorite romance stories always feature a sexy alpha male and a hot-tempered lady who's a bit rebellious in nature and requires a firm hand.

Old Western movies with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara are just some of her favorites.  Television shows like 'Gunsmoke' and 'Cheyenne' are also a part of her DVD collection.

Now she pens the very same kind of books she loves to read so much.

Mary also has a soft heart when it comes to animals.  Her yard is full of squirrels, chipmunks, and birds, and even a groundhog that's always looking for a handout.  Deer come through the yard at least several times a day and bring along the new fawns.

It's always exciting to see the new babies with their white spots and big ears.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I started reading romance when I was around 12 yrs old.  My first read was a Harlequin.  I enjoyed them and thought that I’d like to be an author someday.  I always knew it was just a dream, but here I am many years later with my books on Amazon.  Dreams do come true.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

While growing up I got to really like Johanna Lindsay.  She influenced me to give writing a shot.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My first book is based on someone I know who suffers with depression and anxiety.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

When I’m outside gardening, most of the time something pops into my head and I take it from there.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I usually let the characters lead the way then once I have them figured out I go with the story.  My heroines are always feisty and the hero is always stern.  One thing they both share in common is a sense of humor.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I guess I’m showing my age when I say my cheater photo would be of Clint Walker or John Wayne.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I like to be outside and watch the animals.  I love it when they come to me for peanuts.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I haven’t read anything for a while mostly because I’m editing one now and that takes up a lot of my time.  I do enjoy reading Maddie Taylor or Maggie Ryan.  I met Maggie Ryan and she is one super lady.


What are your favorite books by others?

I always liked Shayla Black and Lora Leigh and for Viking stories, Sandra Hill.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

No, not really.  I think about the show, The Honeymooners.  The episodes are always in the same place …t he kitchen.  I don’t think you have to go to a faraway land to write a good story.

Some readers do like to be taken away to some faraway place.  Me, I just like to be taken away by the hero.  It’s a choice.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I like to do both POV’s.  Most of the story is in the heroine’s POV, but I like to give readers a look inside the hero.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I read and use Google.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No pen name.  My real name is Mary Wehr.  Most of my friends know me by Sue.  Mary is the only name I write under.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I absolutely love reading historical westerns and that’s why I write them.  I don’t know why.  I guess it’s just the thought of knocking boots with a rugged cowboy.  😉

My first book was a contemporary and I had done another one after that, but I must say westerns are the best.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits....what led to you being you?

I’m so happy to be here to share some of my quirks and silly stuff.

I love to joke around and I don’t get offended easily.  Also, I’m the one that pushes the button when it tells you not to.  😂

I love animals and sitting out watching them relaxes me.  Of course I need lots of peanuts because those squirrels and chipmunks can eat.  Not to mention the birds.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

I haven’t had the pleasure of being part of a duo writer team.  I’d love to someday.  Maybe a western? 😊


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Keep working at it and don’t give up.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I look at it this way.  Not everyone is going to like my book or my style of writing.  It’s just the way it is.  Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Chapter one always gets me.  How do I start this book, you know?


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I have to sit by a window.  There are times when I need to think about what comes next and watching the wild life helps.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

A sexy book cover 😉


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I would choose Alta Hensley mostly because she has always been there for me.  I met her once and would love to spend the day with her.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

My schedule changes with the seasons.  In the summer I write late night after hubs goes to bed.  In the winter I write during the day because it’s too cold to go outside.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes, I like the music of the 80’s.  ACDC, Aerosmith…


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

My pet bird, a dove lands on top of my laptop when he wants attention.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

I need to be alone so I can think straight.  What puts me off is when someone is in the mood to talk as soon as I open my laptop.  Lol.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I celebrate with a big sigh of relief and joy.


Connect w/ Mary:

Email:

Website:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:

Twitter:



Check out my review of the following books by Mary Wehr!

LAWMAN'S RULES


Start reading now!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

No comments:

Post a Comment