Saturday, July 30, 2022

INTERVIEW with ELLE NICOLL

 

I want to thank Elle Nicoll for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Elle Nicoll is a British author, and ex long-haul flight attendant, who spent years travelling the world and dreaming up stories whilst trying to stay awake on night flights.

She writes very steamy, emotional, swoony, contemporary romance novels, all based around love.

Elle loves putting her characters through challenges that make them grow from the beginning of the story, until their HEA. They have to fight hard for it... but when they get there, it's so worth it.

All of Elle's characters are different. Whether they are a brooding CEO, the best friend who always held the heroine in his heart, a Hollywood heartthrob, or a silver fox with gentlemanly manners and a deliciously filthy tongue. They are all unique and infuriating in their own way.

Because no one is perfect.

When Elle isn't writing she is either trying to look like a parent who knows what they're actually doing, on her spinning bike (the source of where many ideas come to her), or getting excited about adding to her crystal collection (Yes, she loves them. Those and vegan candles).

It means the world to Elle that you're reading her stories, and she loves to hear from readers.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I wanted to be an author before I started school and could even write. I would always write short stories. 

Then that stopped around Age 14/15. I kept my love of reading, but didn’t start writing again until I was 36.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I read all of Judy Blume as a teenager and Point Horror books. I loved thriller and crime/mystery stories as a child/teen.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Dreams, daydreams, listening to music, working out and fresh air. They all sew seeds of ideas that then grow over time. I think we are being inspired all the time even when we don’t realise it.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a basic plotline. But sometimes the characters take it in a completely new direction, and if it feels right then I go with it.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes. I start a Pinterest board just for me to look at, and put images of places and people that I feel capture the essence of the story I want to write.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading, although I rarely read now. I can’t read when I am writing. 

I like to go to the coast, listen to music on car journeys and workout. All of these clear my head and give me a sense of peace.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

TL Swan, I love her books. I can never put them down. 

I also love Vi Keeland and Samantha Towle and Jennifer Haartman.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

All of TL Swan’s. I know I am going to be drawn into the story and get all the emotions with hers. She is a one click author for me for sure.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes. I flew to New York and LA and California a lot when I was a flight attendant, and I used to live near London. 

All of my books so far are based in these places. I’ve loved them all.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual POV.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Just letting the story develop over time and listening to my gut. And my BETA team are incredible. They see things I don’t when I’m writing the first draft.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under one name, which is a version of my own name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Steamy contemporary romance. 

I love writing about people, their emotions, the challenges life brings. 

And I love how so many sub-genres can go into romance.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m a vegan, ex long-haul flight attendant and lover of things that shimmer. 

My mum always called me ‘Dolly Daydream’ as a child as I was always daydreaming. Now I get to do it and call it work! 

I’m a positive person, an idealist, a dreamer, a lover. That’s why I love writing romance. I like real-life magic. I think it’s around us. I’m quite woo-woo. 

I write surrounded by crystals and believe in our energy and vibrations needing to be in alignment.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t be afraid to try. Lose yourself in the story and keep the joy of writing that is brought to you. 

Not everyone will like your books, and that’s okay. You do you and stay true to what feels right for you.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I don’t look! I used to, and all it did was make me sad and question whether I should be writing at all. 

But accepting that you will never be everyone’s cup of tea is important to stop you being discouraged.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Time and balance. I have a young family and I am conscience of time being spent away from them when I am really busy with writing. I try and do as much as possible during school hours and after bedtime. 

But some evenings I just want to kick back on the sofa and not work. So it’s finding what works and understanding that a successful week can vary hugely from week to week. Some are more productive than others, and that’s okay. It’s not a race.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Water, crystals, and peace and quiet!

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t have one. I get immersed and think 20 minutes has passed, when it’s 3.5 hours. 

But I do get distracted by social media and looking at cover images and Pinterest images for future books.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

LM Fox. She’s my book bestie. We began writing at the same time and talk every day. 

But she’s in the US, and I’m in the UK, so we’ve not met in person yet. I would love to spend the day together. I don’t think we would stop talking!

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I’m a mood writer, so I don’t set certain days or times to write. But I like to do it most days as I find it flows better for me that way. 

I just have water as I write. I like to take breaks away from my desk and sit in the sunshine in the garden and eat there.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No. I like silence! 

But I do love music when I’m plotting. I like country, whatever’s in the charts. 

Artists like Adele and Ed Sheeran really help with the emotional scene plotting.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No, we don’t have any, although the kids would love a dog or cat.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Getting distracted on social media. I can lose hours happily scrolling on Tiktok and adding to my own TBR.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes. Although I won’t say who. I get messages about it.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I like to leave my drafts for at least a month before I even look at them again. And I don’t write during that month. 

I market and catch up on any BETA d ARC reads I have for other authors. And I generally will be editing another work in progress during this time. 

But I need at least a month until starting a new story. My brain needs that time in-between.

 

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Elle Nicoll!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-elle-nicoll.html#more


Make sure to give Elle Nicoll a shout out and FOLLOW her on her social media!

Connect with Elle:

Email:
Readers contact via message option on website, or by DM on social media

Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


No comments:

Post a Comment