Wednesday, July 27, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - FIRE AND ICE Series by Tara Conrad

 

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Fire and Ice Series


Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Tara Conrad's Fire and Ice Series!


***Synopsis***

Books 1-3 are the story of Alex and Natalie. 

It’s a story about personal growth and the beauty of forgiveness and love.   


How are the books in the series related? 

In short, Submitting to Him is Natalie’s introduction to the BDSM lifestyle and to Alex, a sexy and experienced Dominant. They start a relationship, but there are several things working against them.   

The book shows how a true-to-life Dom/sub relationship might work. Alex and Natalie are fallible characters who make mistakes, inadvertently hurt each other, and have to fix their wrongs. 

As we move into Fighting with Him, we see more of Alex’s involvement in fighting human trafficking. 

It’s because of this involvement that the couple’s lives are put on the line. This book takes the couple (and the reader) down some very dark paths. 

Finally, we have Living for Him. Just when we think the couple has overcome all the odds and are getting their happily ever after, something unthinkable happens. 

Three people’s lives are forever changed. I will give a spoiler, of sorts, the trilogy ends with a happily ever after. It also leads into the next two books, with a spin-off character, in the series.


What is the sub-genre and trope? 

The books definitely have a BDSM theme, but not in a sensational way. 

I wanted these books to show BDSM relationships and how they are lived in ‘regular’ people’s lives. I would also say they are mildly dark. There is also a lot of steamy scenes! 


Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began? 

Submitting to Him started as my thesis book for my MFA degree. 

I knew from day one that I wanted to write a story about Alex and Natalie, a Dom/sub couple. 

However, the book I have today is very different from the story I started with.

 

Are you more character or plot driven? 

Hmm… This is a great question. 

I have a difficult time writing if I feel like I don’t know my character. I’m big on doing in-depth character sketches so I can learn who my character is—or wants to be. 

At the same time, I make a loose outline with how I’d like the plot to go. But it never fails, the character’s voices get loud. They take hold of their story and make sure I tell it for them. 

I honestly love the writing process and how it unfolds.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? 

I feel like I know my main and secondary characters really well, at least in this series. 

So far, I haven’t had any issues keeping them separate. Each of their stories are so different. 


Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace? 

No, I don’t. I do have a notebook with tons of notes in it. My husband is so important in the process of plotting out the books. 

When you read them and they hit the big plot twists, you can thank him. LOL

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go? 

Viktor. 

He was never intended to be more than a place holder—not even a secondary character. But his character had other ideas and as the story went on, Viktor played bigger and bigger roles. 

By Living for Him, he became a main character.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know? 

Yes. When I did Alex’s character sketches, I had my husband answer the questions. 

His character is largely based on my husband.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know? 

Yes, again. Natalie has a lot of me in her—especially her insecurities.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

There are some scenes in Fighting with Him (I don’t want to say too much and give them away) that were very dark and emotionally draining. After I finished writing that book, I had to take a month off. I felt as though I’d just gone through what the characters did, and I needed to recover. 

That happened again with the whole second half of Living for Him. I found myself crying through the whole thing. It’s very raw and emotional. It was scary to allow myself to go to those places and feel the emotions of the characters.

 

What is your favorite book in the series?

Living for Him, without a doubt. 

Like I said in the previous question, it is a very emotional book. I had to dig down deep and allow myself to take the journey with my characters. I felt like it was a growing opportunity for me as a writer and I love the way the book turned out.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why? 

This is so hard. I love Alex and Natalie because they are based on my husband and myself. 

But as I got more into the story, I fell in love with Viktor. He’s a very special character. I’m honored he spoke up and is allowing me to tell his story.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics? 

Alex and Natalie. 

One of my most important goals going into their story was to give readers an accurate representation of the BDSM lifestyle. To do this, Alex and Natalie had to be ‘real people.’ 

Yes, there’s a whole lot of fiction thrown in, but at the heart of the couple, they are two imperfect people who are in love. They are Dom/sub, but they aren’t perfect there either. 

In the real world, both Doms and subs make mistakes too—we’re all only human. So, I took my first-hand knowledge of the lifestyle as well as knowledge I’ve learned from others and created their story.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA? 

Lots of walking and talking with my husband. I think my neighbors must think we’re crazy at this point. LOL 

We used our evening walks to dig deeper into their heads, to create the world they live in, and to allow them to develop their story. 

For each of the three books, the end is not how I’d planned it to start, but the more intimately I got to know my characters, the more the story evolved into their perfect HEA.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why? 

There’s a scene in Fighting with Him where Alex is in really bad shape. He’s operating from a place of trauma and shock. He’s closed himself off to everything and everyone around him—like totally shut down. 

He’s done something he thinks is irredeemable. He believes Natalie is going to hate him for what he’s done. He’s broken. But then he goes to her, and she doesn’t care about what he’s done. She just wants him—imperfections and all. 

It’s a poignant moment where her physical touch and love is the balm Alex needed to go on.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others? 

They were each difficult in their own right. 

Submitting to Him was hard because it was initially for school so I was worried about doing everything right and getting a good grade so I could graduate. LOL  

Fighting with Him was dark and triggering in many ways. It took a lot out of me emotionally. 

And Living for Him was all emotion. There were so many tears. 

Each book brought me down a different and amazing path.

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

I LOVE writing in multiple POV’s. I can’t picture myself writing a book any other way.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series? 

This is a trick question. 

Submitting to Him took the longest because I had to stay on my school schedule. After I graduated, May 2021, I got a publishing contract right away. 

By December 2021, all three books were out. But it was a bad deal (LONG STORY) and I was able to get my rights back earlier this year. 

So I did a whole reversion, re-edit, and re-covers for the whole series and re-released them in May and June of this year.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and series? 

The series is Fire and Ice, which is also the name of the club in the book. I liked the contrast between fire and ice and how it fits into so much of the BDSM lifestyle. 

The titles of the books came from the story themselves. Each title represents the struggle of Alex and Natalie in each book.

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along? 

Absolutely!

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story? 

I knew it was going to be a series and I knew that the secondary characters were going to get their own books. 

But… I initially planned for Svetlana and Brandon (Alex and Natalie’s best friends) books to be next. However, they got really quiet. Their relationship became complicated, and I wasn’t sure by what. 

Viktor was never intended to get books, but his character became such a big part of Alex and Natalie’s lives and the way Living for Him left things with him, his story became top priority. 

Then there’s Anthony and Leo, another couple from the club. I knew I wanted to do their story, but wasn’t sure what it was either, but it’s been revealed to me. 

Star, a secondary character that I didn’t intend to have a story has also spoken to me- I can’t wait to tell her story.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters? 

This is going to be a disappointing answer, but I have no idea. 

My husband and I have talked about this before, but we keep coming up blank. If I ever figure it out, I’ll let you know. 😊

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease? 

The next books in the Fire and Ice World are Viktor’s story. He’s getting a two-book story. 

The first book—and this is the first time I’m letting the title out is His Melody. At the start of the book, Viktor’s in a bad place. He’s heartbroken and spiraling out of control. Unfortunately, things have to get worse before they can get better. And his better comes with a whole new set of complications! Book one is a slow-burn, age gap romance. 

Book 2, which I can’t say the name yet, will really feature the couple and the HUGE obstacles they are going to face.

Oh gosh, I’m busting and wish I could spill it all!!! I can say that Viktor is not looking for love. He’s living on the edge and nearly gets himself killed. Then a woman comes out of nowhere. He sees her as the forbidden fruit. 

Alex and Natalie come back into the picture. This potential relationship is going to cause all kinds of problems!! It’s going to be sooooo good.




BIO:

Tara Conrad is a collared submissive and married to her Dominant, George. They are high school sweethearts who are still madly in love. 

Tara has always loved reading and was encouraged by her husband to start writing. Tara writes a little bit of sweet romance and a whole lotta steamy romance. It’s been an incredible journey so far and it’s just starting. 

She hopes to share many more stories with readers.


Connect with Tara:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:




SUBMITTING TO HIM

Get your copy today!
Available on Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

An act of betrayal, a call to 911, and a note from the brother she lost give Natalie the courage to embark on a journey of self-exploration.

Unknowingly set up by their friends, Alex and Natalie spend the evening together at New York City’s Fire and Ice BDSM club.

Neither one is looking for love, but their chemistry is too strong to ignore.

They agree to a Dom/sub contract with an expiration date—the insurance policy both believe will keep their hearts safe.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, or so they say.

Forces outside their control seek to pull them apart, but they find their way back to one another.

The couple’s connection is stronger than ever until tragedy strikes Natalie’s family.

Mistakes are made. Words that can’t be taken back are uttered.

Sometimes it takes the love of friends to pick up the pieces.

Can two broken souls find their way back to one another?


FIGHTING WITH HIM

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

What is it they say about the best laid plans?

Family and friends. Weddings and happiness.

Alex and Natalie’s future is bright.

But things aren’t always as they seem.

Evil masked as innocence ensures no one is prepared.

A day that holds so much happiness morphs into the darkest of nights.

Now, they find themselves in a fight for their lives.

One will be forced to make unthinkable choices—to do unspeakable things.

Their happily ever after is within their grasp.

Can the love of a woman rescue a man from the darkness threatening to pull him under?



LIVING FOR HIM

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

Can two people ever truly have a happily ever after, or is danger always lurking in the shadows?

Often evil hides in plain sight until the moment it’s ready to destroy.

In its wake, it leaves emptiness and pain.

Viktor’s determined to right every wrong, but even the greatest superheroes have their weaknesses.

They say it’s always darkest before the dawn, and Natalie’s path is shrouded in darkness.

Hearts fall in love, but sometimes that love hurts. Choices will be made that leave one person broken.

You’ll laugh, and you’ll cry as you ask the question—Is happily ever after something just spoken at the end of a fairy tale? Find out in the emotional conclusion of Alex and Natalie’s love story, 
Living for Him.



HIS MELODY

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

They keep telling me time heals all wounds. But is that really the truth or something people say to ease their conscience?

I think we adjust, change course learn to live with the suffocating grief.

I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up. A man like me doesn’t get a happily ever after.

I knew better. That mistake won’t happen again.

I’m starting over with nothing left to lose.

I just hope when the dust settles, they can forgive me.
~Viktor



HER NIGHTINGALE

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

My life has not been what anyone would call ‘normal.’

Loss, pain, and fear are familiar emotions.

Until one man shows me what it’s like to be loved unconditionally.

He’s given me a voice as I take back everything that was stolen from me.

Our love is forbidden, but our hearts are entwined with one another.

I’m His Melody and he’s My Nightingale



SHATTERED DREAMS

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

Running seems to be the theme of my life. I ran the day my sister was abducted. I ran from the pressure of living up to her memory. I ran from being told I was wanted. I ran from everything. I continued running straight into the arms of a sexy and confident Dominant who saw my broken pieces and offered me a place to heal and grow in my submission.

I was given a glimpse of a future I never dreamed possible, and I thought my days of running were behind me. But just as quickly as they came, my hopes and dreams shattered at my feet. While everyone around me celebrated, I suffered in silence. I was left with a single heartbeat frozen in time. Once again, I heard a familiar voice telling me to run.

Without an explanation, I left everything behind to try to outrun the suffocating pain. But I’m so tired of running. Will I have the strength to face him, and what will happen when he finds out what I’ve been hiding?

If you’re already a Fire and Ice fan, Brandon and Lana’s story is one you’ve been begging for. If you’re a newcomer, grab a copy of Shattered Dreams and start reading the sizzling series you won’t be able to put down.



FRACTURED LIVES

Release Date: June 27, 2023

Pre-Order today!

BLURB:

Brandon and Lana have been seeing each other for two years, but their relationship is about to take an unexpected turn. Brandon's past is revealed, and Lana will discover a side to him that he's never revealed to anyone. Svetlana finds herself growing and maturing in ways she never imagined. When the two finally come together as a Dom/sub couple, sparks fly in this sizzling-hot story of passion, desire, and trust. Join Brandon and Lana on their journey as they navigate the uncharted waters of their new dynamic, exploring the depths of their desires.



MENDED HEARTS

Release Date: August 29, 2023

Pre-Order today!

BLURB:

Lana is back in Russia without an explanation to anyone. Find out why she left Brandon and if they are able to find their way back to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment