Wednesday, July 27, 2022

INTERVIEW with ROSEMARY WILLHIDE

 


I want to thank Rosemary Willhide for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Rosemary is an actress, turned fitness instructor, turned author of romantic suspense.

She's told stories and entertained people her entire life. Writing is her favorite because she doesn't have to leave the house or put on pants! Plus, the voices in her head do what she says, for the most part!

She lives in Las Vegas with her husband, Bill and their adopted senior pooch, Brownie. She still teaches cycling classes. She claims they keep her sane-ish!

If you pick up one of her books you're in for a ride full of suspense, humor and page turning drama. Also, there will be a rescue dog for some extra tail wagging fun.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always written. Professionally, I’d written some sketch comedy so I always dreamed I’d be like Rosemarie on The Dick Van Dyke show or more recently like Tina Fey.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I loved comedians who wrote their own material, but I was also drawn to Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary in grade school.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes. I’m inspired recently by those in my hometown in Pennsylvania. 

Some of the more “evil” characters are people who did me wrong in all walks of life. LOL! There’s that old saying, never make a writer angry. They’ll put you in a book and murder you. It’s quite satisfying.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Most of my books took place in Las Vegas, because I live here and then I decided to change it up for my new Hope Ridge series. My idea was to take the beautiful, cozy setting of a Hallmark movie, but things aren’t as quaint as they appear.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have an outline in my head and go from there.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Usually not a photo, but I do imagine how everyone looks.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love my housewives on the Bravo network. They’re a total guilty pleasure.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I love Delaney Foster. I tend to read books not in my genre. 

When I wrote romance, I read thrillers and now I’m reading more romance.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

I loved, No Exit by Taylor Adams.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Both. Most of my romances are a dual POV. For the new series, it’s first person single POV.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google!

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I prefer the mystery/thriller genre.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have a degree in Theatre, so I’ve had a lot of weird jobs. 

I was Betty Boop at the MGM in Vegas and a wizard at Caesar’s Palace. 

I traveled the country doing musicals. My favorite roles were Eliza Dolittle in My Fair Lady and Sister Amnesia in Nunsense.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

I would say write because you love it, not because you think you’re going to be read by millions. Do it for yourself.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Well, it’s part of it. If you aren’t getting any one and two star reviews than your books probably aren’t being read by many people.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

MARKETING! Ugh… 

I hate it. I’m terrible at it. 

Did I mention, Marketing?


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I need absolute quiet.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

It used to be black licorice but I’ve had dental surgery, so right now nothing.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I’m not very good at being social. I tend to avoid people, especially if I’ve put on a pedestal because if I meet them, I’ll blather like an idiot.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No. But they have inspired many of my canine characters.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

YES! Many times!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I’m usually by myself, so nothing. LOL!

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Rosemary Willhide!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-rosemary-willhide.html#more


Make sure to give Rosemary Willhide a shout out and FOLLOW her on her social media!


Connect with Rosemary:




Bookbub:


Instagram:

Twitter:

Tiktok:

No comments:

Post a Comment