Friday, July 29, 2022

INTERVIEW with MEL WALKER


I am excited about interviewing my second male romance author and want to thank Mel Walker for taking time to answer all my questions!


BIO:

Mel Walker has been writing fiction most of his adult life. Specializing in Short Stories and Contemporary fiction and Romance Novels. A native New Yorker and life-long frustrated NY Mets fan. He loves to write about ordinary people placed in difficult situations, especially as it relates to their closest relationships.

Mel Walker is a rare bird, the male romance author. Specializing in heartfelt small town romance, he enjoys telling compelling romances with all the feels. A native New Yorkers and life-long frustrated NY Mets fan, he enjoys long walks, bike rides and taking in the energy of the city. 


 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

During college when I started writing short stories for my friends.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

By biggest influence was S.E. Hinton. Her book “The Outsiders” opened my eyes that writing didn’t have to be dry or cover events from a hundred years ago. It also featured people closer to my age as main characters.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not directly. My characters are fictitious but do carry traits of different people I’ve met.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere. Walking the street, watching a movie, etc. I do draw a lot of inspiration from music. They are narrative short stories told through music.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

It varies by novel. I like to start with characters and then place them in a setting that forces them to act. I usually start with a rough outline.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes. I find having the visual helps to make them real for me as I write. Usually it’s a random image I found scanning the internet or a photo site.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I enjoy reading but also putting on headphones and taking a long walk listening to music.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

The list is long. If I had to pick a handful it’ll be Kelsie Rae, Kathryn Nolan, Emery Rose, Alessandra Torre, and QB Tyler.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

One Last Favor by Stephanie Rose. Not the Marrying Kind by Kathryn Nolan. Breezy by Kelsie Rae. Forget Me Not by QB Tyler.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Most of my novels occur in towns and communities I’ve invented. Many of them take place in small towns. 

However, in my Novel “The Amazing Date”, I have the couple participate in a race competition that takes place in real cities (LA, NY, etc.) Many of the places in the race I’ve visited.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Varies by book. The vast majority of them are multiple POVs.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

After google, just brainstorming with people.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write romance – specializing in small town romance. 

I love the close knit community and people looking out for one another.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m a huge baseball fan, a Mets fan. They are doing well this year but most years this is not the case. 

The Mets are like the younger stepbrother to the Yankees. So being a Mets fan makes you tough and prepares you for heartache 😊

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Stick with it. You are going to make mistakes, everyone does. Learn from them and continue to plow forward. 

Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to fellow authors with questions. Their experience may not align specifically with yours but you can always take something from their journey.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I remember a conference presentation where the speaker pointed out that Stephen King and JK Rowling get 1 star reviews. Even to this day. 

Your book, no matter how good, is not for everyone.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding consistent time to write.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

A good set of speakers to stream music.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Does lack of sleep qualify 😊. I tend to snack on fruit (grapes, cherries). I’ve learned to stay away from chocolate (sugar high followed by the crash)

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Kelsie Rae – hands down. 

I’ve been a fan since her first book and her career journey has been a joy to watch. I’d have a million questions to ask her. 

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I try to write early morning. The world is quiet and I’m a morning person.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I love to listen to music while writing. I will create a playlist to match the novel (its mood, scenes, what the characters would listen to). It keeps my mind locked in to the book world I’m creating.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Eye strain. In the past if I’ve spent too much time in front of screens I would get headaches that stopped me cold. I now have glasses with the computer light filter and am smarter about shifting locations and writing in different environments and as much sunlight as I can find.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually with a long bike ride.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Mel Walker!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-mel-walker.html#more


Make sure to give Mel Walker a shout out and FOLLOW him on all his social media!

Connect with Mel:

Email:

Website:

Linktree:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Facebook Reader Group:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Newsletter:


No comments:

Post a Comment