Wednesday, July 13, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - SYNDICATE MASTERS Series by Delta James

 

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY

Syndicate Masters

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Delta James's Syndicate Masters Series!


SYNOPSIS:

The original, The Bargain, was released on August 26, 2021. The next one is Judgment, which releases on July 14, 2022, and there are three more planned after that.

The overall series is broken down into three groups: Syndicate Masters, Syndicate Masters: Northern Lights, and Syndicate Masters: Cosa Nostra. Each set has a tiger-shifter, leopard-shifter and lion-shifter. Syndicate Masters also has a sabretooth-shifter. 

Each of the sets is interconnected with mentions of characters from other sets, but each has their own story arc or theme.

 

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began

It’s a paranormal mafia story! All of the heroes are masters of their syndicate groups that come down from a goddess who left to care for their people.

 

Are you more character or plot driven? 

Definitely character driven!

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace? 

I keep a simple series Bible and write down names, relationships and which book they first appear in. I keep it simple. 

I admire authors who go to the trouble of a story/vision board. Occasionally if there is someone who inspires a character, I will keep their picture up on my secondary monitor.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Oh God, all of them! LOL! 

Con was the most obnoxious. He wanted his story told and would not take no for an answer. I finally gave in and wrote the first draft of the manuscript in four days.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know? 

I think writers take bits and pieces from all the people they know or have been involved with—good or bad!

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know? 

Same as above. I always tell people when you’re friends with a writer, everything is grist for the mill.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

No. For the most part I really like my characters. Sometimes, it takes me a bit to get a handle on who they are, but once I do, it’s pretty smooth sailing.

 

What is your favorite book in the series?

Probably The Bargain. I conceived of the original story as part of an anthology, but ended up dropping out as I didn’t feel it was on brand for me. 

Then Con wouldn’t shut up and when I told him, I wrote paranormal, he said, “Fine, I’m a panther shifter.” 

Then I wrote it to be a standalone, but Con had way too much to say. I also like the storyline and his heroine, Katy.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I guess either Jean-Michel in Marked and Mated (who is my readers’ favorite and who continues to find ways into different series and was never supposed to even have his own book! 

The other would be Robert Fitzwallace of Alpha Dog. From this series either Con from The Bargain or Anders from Complication.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics? 

Jean-Michel and Darby (not from this series, but from the Wayward Mates series) as they were never supposed to be. 

Jean-Michel was to be a minor character and I had him slated for another woman. He wouldn’t have it. He wanted Darby and when I told him she didn’t even have a backstory, he told me “You’re a writer, write her one.”

 

How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA? 

My characters lead me through their story and to their HEA. Sometimes it’s not necessarily the HEA I envisioned, but it always works out.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why? 

In The Bargain, there’s a scene where Katy returns from the dead and waits to see if Con is going to kill her for betraying him. She hears him behind her, but just continues to watch the sea. It has so much going for it. 

I also liked the scene when Katy shifts for the first time and has trouble controlling her back end and tail—a little comic relief never hurt anything.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others? 

Generally, my books flow, but if I get stuck, I go out for a drive with the dogs and clear my head and do a reset. 

So far, the one I changed the most was Judgment as I realized I had let part of Lars’ essence slip away so re-wrote the second half of the book.

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline? (if applicable) 

I only rarely do a POV outside of the hero and heroine, but I do love going deep into the hero and heroine’s inner thoughts. 

I think it gives the readers more insight into not on the characters but the action itself.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series? 

I am very lucky that I write and type very fast. So normally a book takes 7-10 days for the first draft. 

I am also fortunate to be in a place where I can write full-time so that 7-10 days is generally 8-10 hours a day… minimum.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and series? 

The Bargain is one of the few titles I’ve ever come up with. Generally, I suck at them so Renee comes up with a few choices and I pick from those. 

I came up with The Bargain as Katy strikes a  bargain with Con to save her sister’s life.

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along? 

I think so. For the most part, I like all my characters. 

One of the best compliments I ever got from a reader was that she wanted to “go to brunch” with my characters.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story? 

I didn’t even think it was going to be a full-blown novel and then when I dropped out of the anthology, I just thought it would be an idea I shelved for a while. 

Con had different ideas.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters? 

Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Con and probably Bridget Moynahan as Katy. 

I generally don’t do as detailed a description of the heroine as I do the hero. 

I want the reader to be able to picture the hero closely but imagine themselves as the heroine. That’s the same reason I write in third person.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease? 

I’m currently working on Dragon Storm which is the first in the Reign of Fire series, but the next in the overall Syndicate Masters is Ruthless Honor, which is the first in the Syndicate Masters: Cosa Nostra set.

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Delta James!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-delta-james.html


Bio:

 If you're looking for paranormal and contemporary erotic romance, you've found your new favorite author!

Alpha heroes find real love with feisty heroines in USA Today Best Selling Author Delta James' sinfully sultry romances. Welcome to a world where true love conquers all and good triumphs over evil! Delta's stories are filled with erotic encounters of romance and discipline.

Delta is always happy to hear from her readers and responds personally. Reach out today! deltajames-author@hotmail.com

 

Connect w/ Delta:

 

Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/deltajamesauthor/


Website:

https://www.deltajames.com/


Goodreads:


Bookbub:

Amazon:

https://amzn.to/3Gw1wlV


Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DeltaJamesAuthor/


Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/348982795738444/


Signup for my newsletter:
https://www.subscribepage.com/l9m4h7



 


THE BARGAIN

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

She betrayed the head of the Irish mafia years before. Now he's the only person that can save her sister from being murdered.

Katie

For two years I worked undercover as the lover of the most ruthless man in Ireland. The night he was arrested, my betrayal became known and I ran. Now my only remaining family, my sister has been taken by rebels. If I agree to his bargain and become his can I trust he will keep his word?

I know better than most how dark and dangerous he is but I don’t have a choice.

Con

The betrayal of my mate devastated me. I haven’t been with another woman since the night the feds arrested me. She thinks she can walk back into my life without reprisal?

Whether she accepts my bargain or not... she will pay for her deceit.

The Bargain is a dark suspenseful mafia romance in the Syndicate Masters series. If you like intrigue, men determined to possess their women, and the strong intelligent women who stand up to them, then you'll love Delta James' newest Kindle melting paranormal romance.

The Bargain is a paranormal romance with steamy heat in and out of the bedroom for mature readers only.



THE PACT

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Gavan Drummond is the most powerful man in Scotland, he is neither pure nor innocent. Can I trust him to save my company?

My family has been making single malt whiskey for centuries and has a world-renowned reputation. A rival has been trying to put us out of business and acquire both our distilling methods and our land. In an effort to save me from a forced marriage, my grandfather leaves Drummond 51 percent of the business to hold in trust until I marry.

Now my grandfather is dead and I am left to deal with the distillery, the rival family wanting me dead, and Drummond - the black tiger. But I don’t know where else to turn to for help.

Gavan offers me a Pact ... submit for a year or lose my legacy. If I accept, will I be sharing the bed of a man or a beast?

The Pact is a dark mafia romance in the Syndicate Masters series. If you like intrigue, men determined to possess their women, and the strong intelligent women who stand up to them, then you’ll love Delta James’ newest Kindle melting paranormal romance.

The Pact is a paranormal romance with steamy heat in and out of the bedroom for mature readers only.




THE AGREEMENT

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Joshua Knight is the kingpin of London. He rules everything you can see and those you can’t. But can I trust him with my life?

Peyton
I’m a freelance reporter looking to make a name for myself. The men I work for only want me to report on fashion and flower shows. But I've found myself a nice juicy murder. I approach Mr. Knight alone to interview him about what he knows. Shots ring out and he whisks me away to his castle for my safety he says, but now he won’t let me go home.

My investigation has established that he is a dangerous and dominant man but the agreement he is offering me is ... tempting.

Joshua
Her first mistake was thinking she could uncover my secrets. As soon as I see her, I know she is my fated mate. I’m going to keep her but first I need to find out who is trying to kill her. She thinks those shots were meant for me but I know better, the red dot was on her back.

Her second mistake was running from me. She will not get far. Lions love hunting down their prey. I will find her and bring her back.

Whether she accepts the agreement or not, she belongs with me and I keep what is mine ... forever

The Agreement is a dark mafia romance in the Syndicate Masters series. If you like intrigue, men determined to possess their women, and the strong intelligent women who stand up to them, then you'll love Delta James' newest Kindle melting paranormal romance.

The Agreement has steamy heat in and out of the bedroom for mature readers only.



THE UNDERSTANDING

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!
BLURB:

Braden Hughes is the last of a long line of illegitimate descendants from the great kings of Wales… and the syndicate kingpin of Cardiff. I know his secret and he wants me back at any cost.

Carys
Five years ago I knew love until I saw something I shouldn’t have and ran!
He has been hunting me since I disappeared that fateful night.
But now he is not the only one hunting me...

Braden
Four years, eleven months, two weeks and six days.
That is how long she had been gone when we found her.
But someone else found her first ...

Once I have her back she will understand.
I get what I want and I want her.


The Understanding is a dark mafia romance in the Syndicate Masters series. If you like intrigue, men determined to possess their women, and the strong intelligent women who stand up to them, then you'll love Delta James' newest Kindle melting paranormal romance.

The Understanding has steamy heat in and out of the bedroom for mature readers only.

No comments:

Post a Comment