Thursday, October 27, 2022

INTERVIEW with BRENDA MARGRIET


I want to thank Brenda Margriet for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Brenda Margriet writes savvy, slow burn, contemporary romances with ordinarily amazing characters. In her own ordinarily amazing life, she had a successful career in radio and television production before deciding to pilfer from her retirement plan to support her writing compulsion.

Readers have called her stories "poignant," "explicit and steamy," "interesting, intriguing and entertaining," and "unlike any romance you’ve read before" (she assumes the latter was meant in a good way).

Brenda lives in northern British Columbia with her husband, various finny and furry pets, and has three grown children.

 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have always been an avid reader, even as a young child. Nancy Drew, Lord of the Rings, Anne of Green Gables…I devoured them all and more. 

My love of writing grew naturally from that. When I was a teenager I saved for months to buy a typewriter (yes, I am that old) at which I spent hours pecking away. But I didn’t finish a book-length manuscript until I was in my forties.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Far too many to name. I would read the back of a cereal box if nothing else was available, and enjoy all genres, from sci-fi and fantasy to mystery and thrillers. And of course, romance.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not in the sense that I have mirrored a person specifically. But I certainly have used people I know as inspiration for a character’s mannerisms or speech patterns.

The only slight exception to this is my book, After Words. While still a steamy contemporary romance, this novel follows the fictional search for a World War II soldier. 

The diary that inspired the story actually exists and I use quotes from it in the book. (Available here https://books2read.com/AfterWords)


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere! I truly believe there is someone for everyone, and love to hear how people met. 

My own parents met in part because my dad’s brother-in-law was in a car accident and was cared for at the hospital where my mother was training to be a nurse. Those of the sorts of stories I love to tell!


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I used to be all about the outline. In fact, I used to have an Excel spreadsheet with all the scenes laid out, whose POV they were in, details of the locations, etc. 

But now I focus more on the characters. I concentrate on what makes them tick, why they are who they are, and then develop the plot from that. 

With both processes, though, I am open to suggestions from either my characters or my intuition. Sometimes you just have to take a right instead of a left, LOL!


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I always have a book on the go, so reading is still top of my list.audiobook 

Within the last year or so, I’ve taken up crochet, and I find it extremely relaxing to stitch away while listening to an audiobook.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I’m afraid I can’t answer this. I’d be afraid to miss someone I love! There are so many awesome authors out there.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

All but one of my books is set in my hometown of Prince George, British Columbia. 

When I first started out writing, I decided had enough to deal with learning how to plot, how to make my characters believable, and so much more. I didn’t want to add creating a whole new world, too! 

I suppose I could have changed the name, but as a reader I love to learn about new places, and I thought other readers might feel the same.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

All my books but one (the aforementioned After Words) alternate between the hero and heroine’s point of view. And all of them are written in third person. 

That format is also my favourite to read, to I naturally gravitated toward that when I began writing.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I don’t know what I would do without Google!  Being able to find the answer to a question in an instant keeps the words flowing for me. 

My second-best research tool, especially when I am writing the parts of stories that do not take place in my hometown, is Google Maps Streetview. I can follow the route my characters are taking and describe details as needed to add authenticity.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I have always written steamy contemporary romance and recently have been focused on the seasoned or later-in-life subgenre of that. 

That means I write stories with characters no younger than thirty, though most of mine range in age from 35 to 55. After all, love and lust have no age limit!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

While getting to the end of any manuscript is always a joyous day, it really isn’t the end. 

Once I finish, I usually let it sit for a week or more. Then I start my second draft. The beginning often needs lots of work now that I know how the story ends. 

Once that draft is done, I will send it to my beta readers and critique partners, and after I’ve reviewed their comments and suggestions I send it to an editor. 

Only then do I start feeling like it might actually be done. The most exciting day is release day. No matter how well the book does in sales, seeing another book baby out in the world is definitely a reason to have a celebratory glass of wine or two!

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Brenda Margriet!


Make sure to give Brenda Margriet and shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Brenda:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


2 comments: