Tuesday, August 3, 2021

INTERVIEW with DELTA JAMES



First, I want to thank Delta James so much for taking the time to answer my interview questions!


I hope that you have enjoyed this interview as much as I have!

Make sure to give Delta a shout-out and let her know you saw her interview and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


BIO:


If you're looking for paranormal and contemporary erotic romance, you've found your new favorite author!

Alpha heroes find real love with feisty heroines in USA Today Best Selling Author Delta James' sinfully sultry romances. Welcome to a world where true love conquers all and good triumphs over evil! Delta's stories are filled with erotic encounters of romance and discipline.

Delta is always happy to hear from her readers and responds personally. Reach out today! deltajames-author@hotmail.com



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?


It was something I always wanted to do and thought “No, I have to be practical.”  Then one night in Maiden, North Carolina, I decided I was going to quit letting fear dictate my decisions and decided to chase what I thought to be an impossible dream.  In less than a year, I was able to leave my day job.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I was a huge fan of Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley until I became a teenager and then it was Beatrice Small, Leon Uris and Kathleen Woodiwiss.  I continued to read all of those and then discovered Robert Ludlum and then Dan Brown.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

I am notorious for basing characters (usually villains) on people from my own life.  It allows me to give them their comeuppance!


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere—people I’ve known, experiences I’ve had, overheard conversations, something that intrigues me.  You never know when inspiration may strike so I tend to pay attention.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I am a total pantser.  I tend to write in series (unless a strong character—usually some alpha—steps forward, demanding his story be told).  That being said I plan the number of books and the titles so I can have covers made.  I then start my “bible” where I list the series, the books in the series, the main characters in each book (including descriptions) and then add things and characters as they come up.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Kind of.  I generally can see the character in my head and then go find a picture that represents them.  After a while, looking for the “hunk-du-jour” gets old.  And so I started going to “object covers” which I think in a lot of ways give a flavor of what a book will be like and you can run a theme through the entire series.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Truly relax is hanging out with friends, playing with my dogs, and trail riding.  But mostly I write as I love doing it.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I don’t have nearly as much time to read as I’d like and I never name names for fear I’d forget a friend and inadvertently hurt their feelings.


What are your favorite books by others?

Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry.  My mother taught me to read at the age of 3.  It left me with a love of reading, wild things and horses.

The Aquitaine Progression by Robert Ludlum

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes.  Generally, I set books in places I’ve been so I can give my readers a sense of what it’s like to be standing in the protagonist’s shoes.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual point of view, third person.  I want my reader to be able to put themselves into the story and to know what the main characters are thinking and what drives them to do what they do.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I hate to admit it, but Google.  My problem is, I can go down the proverbial rabbit hole looking for detailed information.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I only write under a single pen name, Delta James.  I have been considering changing it to my legal name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write Paranormal Romance with a smattering of Romantic Suspense.  My books are steamy and I think a great escape.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits....what led to you being you?

I have ridden horses for more than time than I’d care to admit to.  It’s where I do some of my best thinking.  Competing at the highest levels taught me to focus and commit myself to a goal in order to achieve it.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

I have two co-writing projects.  The first is a 3 book series, Viking Masters, with Tom Rhymer and is kind of a departure as it is a historical Viking romance—but the heroines are all Witches of the Ironwood.  Tom does a first, rough draft and then I go in and have lots of fun adding steam and a lot of attitude to the heroine.

 

The second is a new 5 book series, Masters of the Deep, with Felicity Brandon.  The first book will be out in November and came out of a chat Felicity and I were having about Shark Week.  We got to joking and then suddenly realized we had a great idea for a book.  We have had so much fun writing it, we decided to do a series.  Felicity writes the hero’s point of view and I write the heroine’s and we alternate chapters.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Anyone who knows me, knows the answer to this one… Sit Your Ass in the Chair and Write.  There is absolutely no substitution for it.  I’m not saying learn all your can, work on your craft, etc. etc., but without doing the actual writing, you will never be a published author.

 

The other piece of advice?  Treat your readers with respect and kindness.  They are not a bother.  I hate the term “fans” and never use it because it sets up a power differential I’m not comfortable with.  Readers and Authors have a symbiotic relationship.  Without authors, readers have nothing to read.  But without readers, authors can’t make a living doing something they love… at least that’s the way it is for me.  I read each email or private message that is sent to me and answer all of them personally.


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

I read ALL my reviews.  With the negative ones, I try to see if there is something I can take away from it that will improve my books


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Coming up with names for the characters.  Once I have those, things just seem to start to flow.  The few times I’ve “settled” in terms of a name, the writing process has been far more difficult.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

As long as I have my laptop and a place to use my mouse (yes, I’m old school), I can write anywhere.  When I’m in the zone, a bomb could go off and it wouldn’t bother me.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Not so much writing, but in the editing process – I tend to go for chips and dips.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Either Lexi Blake or Dan Brown


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I tend to write pretty much 8-10 hours a day.  Writing is my “happy place.”  I cannot function without Diet Coke.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes and then it’s a fairly eclectic mix.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Not really.  My life kind of revolves around the bassets.  First thing in the morning, Roz likes to get in my lap and I have to balance my laptop between her and the arm of the chair.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Not a whole lot.  I look at it as a job (that I love) and there are times that you simply have to suck it up and get the job done.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I didn’t kill him off, but I did mention that he had died—it was 125 years in the future, but readers went nuts.  Shhh… I found a way to bring him back.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Generally, take the dogs for ride in the car to get a Wendy’s burger.  Then set up the Word document for the next one!


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Delta James!


Make sure to give Delta James a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Delta:

Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/deltajamesauthor/


Website:

https://www.deltajames.com/


Goodreads:


Bookbub:

Amazon:

https://amzn.to/3Gw1wlV


Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DeltaJamesAuthor/


Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/348982795738444/


Signup for my newsletter:

https://www.subscribepage.com/l9m4h7


 

2 comments:

  1. I really injoyed this insight into delta she is a wonderful lovely lady .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....what a fantastic interview. I loved learning more about one of my fave writers.

    ReplyDelete