Wednesday, July 6, 2022

INTERVIEW with BECKE TURNER


I want to thank Becke Turner for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

BeckeTurner retired her healthcare data analyst hat to write contemporary romance full time. Her stories reflect her varied interests of anything medicine, animals, adventure, and family. To lend authenticity to her military characters/settings, Becke quizzes her son, a U.S. Navy pilot, and her son-in-law, a retired Marine Major. 

Although she spent a lifetime training, showing, and breeding horses, her four-year sabbatical to operate the family cattle ranch in Southern Missouri evolved into her cowboy stories. And yes, every state has its share of guys in boots and hats.

She writes contemporary romance revolving around her love of medicine, animals, adventure, and family. Her stories have finaled and won multiple contests including the national Golden Heart, and regional Maggie. She is a member of Forever Golden and Georgia Romance Writers.

She loves to hear from readers. Click HERE to be included in Turner Town News, learn more about Becke and her books, sign up for her Book Mates, or contact her by email.

 

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I started writing professionally to pay for the cab fare to the stables at college. $5/paper guaranteed to pass. 😊 

I wrote my first book in 1980 on a borrowed manual typewriter? Worse, we had to submit the manuscript on paper—error free.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

My favorite series was Zane Gray. I had his entire hardback collection.

As an adult, I fell in love with Julie Garwood’s historical romances. I still love her books.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

A phrase, an article, an image, song lyrics, and social issues have triggered an idea.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

The idea for my Clocktower Romance series came from my grandchildren. I was trying to work out how four individuals from the same parents and home could be so DIFFERENT! 

That said, the finished characters were not like my grandchildren.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I typically start with a character profile and character wound and go from there.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

My character profile includes a photograph.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

A hot cup of tea and an audio book.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

When I’m not studying romance, I read the following:

Kate Quinn

Kristan Hannah

Stephen King

Lee Child

Fredrick Bachman

Robert Crais

 

What are your favorite books by others?

Any Julie Garwood historical in romance

Any Kate Quinn or Stephen King

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

The Clocktower Series is modeled from Newberry, SC near my home.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

It’s a tough nut to crack. Only write if you can’t stop the impulse.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I tell myself the book and the reviewer were not a match. 

However, the mean-spirited ones? I wonder why the reader felt compelled to attack work they didn’t like. Why take the time? Why read the story? 

If I read a chapter and it isn’t compelling to me, I stop reading it! Still, the words are hurtful.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

When I complete a long, arduous task, my body releases endorphins. That high is addictive so I exercise major discipline to keep from careening to the end for my head rush.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Organization. My workspace has to be clean, my notes categorized. Yep, I’m compulsive.

H/H DPOV


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

The research rabbit hole. Man, that little sucker can kill a deadline.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Nora Roberts. 

I’ve spoken with her, but I’d love to watch her work. She has a well-honed handle on craft. Her story writing ability fascinates me. 

I feel the same way about Stephen King.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I go to work after my hour of exercise, breakfast, and clean-up. I work until lunch. After lunch, I write until 3pm and exercise for another thirty minutes. I often stop at that time. However, if I’m hot in the plot, I’ll write until dinner at 5.

Water and hot tea. I don’t usually eat in the office.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I prefer quiet. However, I like to listen to music when I brainstorm a book. 

Depending on my mood, I like everything but jazz. It makes me jittery.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Our Moyen Poodle is a little geezer so he sleeps in his bed in the office.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Family drama.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I’ve killed characters but haven’t published the scene. 

It’s like putting cookies in my grocery cart. I put them in, stroll through the aisles, and then take them out before checkout. 😊


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Happy dance. Doing something that uses a different creative outlet like gardening or painting.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Becke Turner!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-becke-turner.html#more


Make sure to give Becke Turner a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Becke:

Email:
Becke@becketurner.com

Website:
www.Becketurner.com

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B08N9RDR19 

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20867263.Becke_Turner

BookBub:
Becke Turner Books - BookBub

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.turner.5891

Facebook Group: Kiss & Tell: https://www.facebook.com/groups/kissandtellreaders

Facebook Group: Becke’s Book Mates:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/372260430643272

 Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://www.becketurner.com/1076-2


No comments:

Post a Comment