Wednesday, July 6, 2022

INTERVIEW with TRICIA LaROCHELLE


I want to thank Tricia LaRochelle for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Since she was a little girl, Tricia T. LaRochelle has been obsessed with tragic love stories. No beach reads for her. Bring on the grit with a double side of turmoil. She likes to feel the character’s anguish as they fight to overcome obstacles to be together. 

Growing up in central Vermont, she has seen her share of tragedy but remains a hopeful romantic. She now lives in central Virginia where she continues to foster the possibilities of how love can conquer all.

Flickering Heart is the first book the Sara Browne Series. Stay tuned for updates and announcements on Instagram, Twitter, or sign up for her newsletter at TriciaLaRochelle.com.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

The writing bug bit me when I was in college and wrote a play for my Theater class titled, “Coffee, Tea, or Murder.” I felt such joy creating these quirky characters and constructing this humorous plot. Unlike most of my other college classes, this wasn’t work for me. It was oxygen for my soul.

The professor loved the play so much she later had the theater students perform it. With a major in Marketing, I was able to work in creative environments most of my life.

When I finally decided to put this story that had been rolling around in my head on paper, my professional path became clear. I wanted to write stories, and I wanted to move people with my stories.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

The Bronze Horseman (an older book) was one of the first love stories that tapped into the kind of romance I wanted to write. Of course, Horseman was a historical fiction about WWII, which is nothing like my romance, Flickering Heart. 

It wasn’t the specifics that resonated with me but more the sacrifice that these two lovers endured to be together.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not really. My characters may have some similarities to people in my life, but they really took on a life of their own.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

When I was young, I suffered many tragedies, some that took me years to recover from. 

When I wrote Flickering Heart and its sequel, Revive, I tapped into those struggles as well as the triumphs. 

These stories are not parallels to my life, but the emotions are real.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have dabbled with a rough outline in the past. My stories tell me how they want to be told, and I listen and write accordingly. I’m more of a pantser writer.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I have found pics of certain side characters in the past to draw from, but mostly, I make them up in my mind.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Many. I have a diverse palate. There isn’t any one author who rises to the top, there are many.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

I enjoyed the Outlander series, New Adult authors Jamie McGuire and Rebecca Yarros. For YA, I enjoy Lucy Strange. I also like non-fiction such as The Storyteller by David Grohl.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes. My stories (so far) are about places that I’ve either lived or know a lot about. 

For instance, my main protagonist is from Vermont, where I grew up. I chose a different town but wanted to keep Vermont in the story.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I used to write with multiple povs, but for these particular stories, they presented better with one pov.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I am always listening and researching about pretty much everything in my book. 

I love words. I love to hear them and every now and then, I’ll hear someone use a phrase or a word that strikes me and makes me say, “Oooh. I’d like to use that in my book.” My mind is always absorbing.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No. I decided not to write under a pen name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

So far, I write in New Adult. That may change over time.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have a wild imagination. I always have. Whenever life got me down, I’d imagine a new life that was better. My mind is always running a hundred miles an hour. It never stops.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Find a good support system that will help you foster your talents and don’t let anyone tell you that your work isn’t good enough. 

Every manuscript has the potential to be something great.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

If the reviews have a commonality to them, I listen. If they are just mean, I try not to get too spun up over them.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

I find all of it immensely rewarding and equally agonizing.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t really have one. I just try to keep myself focused. Sometimes, that is a challenge.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I’d love to spend a day with Elizabeth Gilbert who wrote the non-fiction Big Magic. 

I have felt that “Big Magic” in this process and I truly believe in it. The universe isn’t going to do the job for you, but it will help you help yourself. 

Her philosophy is refreshing and I could use that any day of the week.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I love my big cup of tea in the morning. I listen to tranquil music as I write.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

See above.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Too many distractions will throw my day off.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Well, after I type “The End,” I usually go right back to the beginning and start editing. I do celebrate my triumphs, though.



 I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Tricia LaRochelle!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-tricia-larochelle.html#more


Make sure to give Tricia LaRochelle a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Tricia:



Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

Booksprout:



No comments:

Post a Comment