Tuesday, July 5, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - SARA BROWNE Series by Tricia LaRochelle


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
SARA BROWNE Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Tricia LaRochelle's Sara Browne Series!


SYNOPSIS:

Eighteen-year-old Sara Browne is about to step off a cliff. She is taking a giant leap into the world of college—a normal transition for most—but not for Sara. A car accident that scarred her body and soul—and left her orphaned—has dictated six years of isolation, but that was all in her past. She is ready to leave those dark days behind. Her new goals: make a friend, behave irresponsibly (if she’ll allow herself), and go on an actual date.

The last thing Sara is looking for is a complication, but that is exactly what she finds in the hot, six-foot-three blond named Scott Williams, who she meets at the beginning of the school year. Sara is drawn to Scott in a way that she cannot explain, and he seems just as into her. She wants to trust her heart, but Scott’s promiscuous past keeps creeping into their lives. Jealous ex-girlfriends are one thing, but the stranger who defaces her car, sabotages her laptop, and who sends Sara threatening letters is far worse. Someone is determined to destroy her relationship with Scott and the life Sara is trying so hard to rebuild.

By the time Sara finds out who is behind all the trouble, her life is in shambles and she must fight with every ounce of strength and courage to save herself and the man she loves.

 

How are the books in the series related? 

My main protagonist, Sara Browne, has a lot to deal with at the end of Flickering Heart. 

In book 2 titled Revive, she faces the trauma from her past and present while she tries to uncover a mysterious kidnapping that allows her a place to channel her anxiety. The bravery she taps into in Flickering Heart returns with gusto in Revive. 

In this book, Sara really comes into her own. Her love interest, Scott Williams, is used to solving problems with his charm, but that no longer works when your girlfriend is trying to heal from a devastating traumatic event. 

As Scott stumbles to be the boyfriend and spouse that Sara needs, he also finds new strength and patience within himself.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? 

The trope is opposites attract as a naive girl falls for the college playboy. There is also a stalker element.


Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began? 

This story has changed over the years, but the overall premise has been in my head for a long time. I’m attracted to tragic romances. Life is tragic and I identify with perseverance through struggle.  

 

Are you more character or plot driven? 

I would say, character driven. I wrote Flickering Heart in the first person to allow the reader inside of Sara Browne’s head. I wanted the reader to feel her struggles and her triumphs.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? 

These characters (well, not the evil ones) have become a part of my invisible family. 

They are all distinct and bring so much life to the story. I’ve known them for years and they are embedded in my mind.

 

Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace? 

No. I don’t tend to work that way. I do organize my thoughts but I am more of a pantser writer.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own

They really do. Sometimes, you have to ask them what they are trying to say in the story. They feel very real at times, and they will speak to you if you listen hard enough.

 

Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

I had to let go of some characters who, over time, didn’t support the plot the way I had wanted them to. 

And others did find their own voice in my story, especially my character named Amy, who is the take-no-prisoners best friend of my main protagonist, Sara Browne.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know? 

Not really. Once again, I wanted to include characters with dimension. None of them are perfect and have flaws that contribute to the story. 

The love interest of Sara Browne is Scott Williams, who is definitely a flawed character, which you see more of in the sequel. There may be pieces of my friends and family mixed in them, but nothing overtly obvious.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know? 

Not really. There are pieces of people here and there, but for the most part, these characters are their own people. 

I also suffered from trauma as a child, which I tapped into when creating Sara’s character. I wanted her to feel real to the reader. She is not me, but I am familiar with some of her struggles.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

Most definitely. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but the traumatic event was difficult to write and for years made me cry whenever I read/edited it.

 

What is your favorite book in the series? 

I only have one book out but the sequel is right on its heels. I love both books but feel Sara emerges as a stronger character in Revive.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why? 

A lot of readers like Sara’s best friend, Amy, but I still consider Sara my favorite. Amy and Scott are close seconds. 

The reason I like Sara so much is because she’s not perfect like most people. She struggles and she questions herself often, and I find that realistic. She is a good person who wants to help others. I like that about her.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics? 

I love the passion and the tension between Scott and Sara. They stumble often and it’s great. I also like the way Amy and her boyfriend get along in an opposites attract sort of way. 

I guess I’m attracted to that dynamic. Probably because my husband and I are very different, but complement each other in so many ways.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

It was easy. I had thought about them for years before I wrote about them. I knew I wanted them to struggle, but I also knew I wanted an HEA. 

I don’t care for stories that leave you feeling empty, frustrated, or sad. Although, that is also life, isn’t it?

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? 

The scene between Sara and Amy when Amy realizes the trauma that Sara has endured is powerful to me.

Why? 

Friendship like theirs is special and rare. I have been (am) blessed with friends like that.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others? 

The second book was easier to write than the first, but I think that’s normal when you are trying to establish the characters. 

I knew what the sequel was about, so I didn’t labor over it as I did with the first book.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline? (if applicable) 

This question doesn’t really apply to me since my books are told from my MP first-person POV, but I’d like to tell you why I chose that POV. 

A few years ago, I wrote the book from both my MP POV (Sara) and her love interest’s (Scott) POV. I realized that part of the mystery of Flickering Heart is NOT knowing Scott’s motives. 

The reader needs to travel through the book to figure out whether Scott is a good person or not. I like the mystery.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series? 

It took me six years to write both books combined, but I didn’t write exclusively during that time. I am a developmental editor, so I have a list of clients who I’ve helped with their books. 

I also worked with an agent, who needed help with her slush piles and later, editing help for her clients. It’s been a busy six years to say the least. 

Flickering Heart started out as a coming-of-age story and transformed into a love story, ripe with passion, betrayal, redemption, and courage.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and series? 

I knew Flickering worked, but I couldn’t come up with the second word. I tried Flickering Star and then came up with Heart. 

I checked to make sure it wasn’t used anywhere else and went with it. The word “Flickering” to me means either a light going out or a light coming to life. That fits.

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along? 

Oh yes. I’d love to hang out with this band of misfits. I’d fit right in.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story? 

I knew I wanted a sequel. Sara’s story wasn’t finished. I have an idea for the third book and started the first couple of chapters. I’d like to see the adventure expand for Sara, with danger always lurking.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters? 

I’m not sure. I’d have to do some research on that. 

Who I used to think would play a good Sara (Gabriella Wilde) has aged out. 

For Scott, I found a man with his hair in the series The English Game on Netflix. But that is only when he’s playing soccer (Scott also plays soccer in the book) and his curls come out to play.

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease? 

I’m busy getting the sequel ready so that is my main focus right now. Here is a teaser.

Waking up screaming one morning in her boyfriend Scott’s fraternity-house bedroom is just one hurdle that Sara Browne must overcome in her struggle to patch her life back together. She wants to embrace Scott and is thankful for his return, but she’s too scared to be that close to him. As Sara struggles with her own recovery, she begins to obsess over Carrie Stevens, a student who went missing the year before. Several sinister characters emerge until Sara is face to face with the kidnapper, who turns out to be the last person she expects.

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Tricia LaRochelle!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-tricia-larochelle.html



Bio:

Since she was a little girl, Tricia T. LaRochelle has been obsessed with tragic love stories. No beach reads for her. Bring on the grit with a double side of turmoil. She likes to feel the character’s anguish as they fight to overcome obstacles to be together. 

Growing up in central Vermont, she has seen her share of tragedy but remains a hopeful romantic. She now lives in central Virginia where she continues to foster the possibilities of how love can conquer all.

Flickering Heart is the first book the Sara Browne Series. Stay tuned for updates and announcements on Instagram, Twitter, or sign up for her newsletter at TriciaLaRochelle.com.

 

Connect with Tricia:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

Booksprout:




FLICKERING HEART

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Eighteen-year-old Sara Brown is about to step off a cliff. She is taking a giant leap into the world of college—a normal transition for most—but not for Sara. A car accident that scarred her body and soul—and left her orphaned—has dictated six years of isolation, but that was all in her past. She is ready to leave those dark days behind. Her new goals: make a friend, behave irresponsibly (if she'll let herself), and go on an actual date.

The last thing Sara is looking for is a complication, but that is exactly what she finds in the hot, six-foot-three blond named Scott Williams, who she meets at the beginning of the school year. Sara is drawn to Scott in a way that she cannot explain, and he seems just as into her. She wants to trust her heart, but Scott's promiscuous past keeps creeping into their lives. Jealous ex-girlfriends are one thing, but the stranger who defaces her car, sabotages her laptop, and who sends Sara threatening letters is far worse. Someone is determined to destroy her relationship with Scott and the life she is trying so hard to rebuild.

By the time Sara finds out who is behind all the trouble, her life is in shambles and she must fight with every ounce of strength and courage to save herself and the man she loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment