Sunday, September 18, 2022

INTERVIEW with ANNIE CHARME


I want to thank Annie Charme for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

Im a graphic artist by day and author by night, writing real, raw, racy romance. My book boyfriends are inked heroes who like fat, fun, and feisty women (sounds familiar).

After dieting since the age of ten, I swapped my slimming club for a writing group and never looked back. My goal is to spread body positivity through my fat and fabulous curvy heroines with a good serving of British humour on the side (not forgetting an extra helping of alpha goodness).

On the very rare occasion Im not working in my day job...or night job as a writer, I'll be living my best life in the heart of England with my other half, two wildlings (otherwise known as Veruca Salt and Mike Teavee), and a randy cavalier pup.

My serious book fetish travels with me in our tin cruiser as we roam the English countryside. Youll usually find me in a field somewhere or curled up on the sofa with a coffee (wine), blanket and dog to keep me cozy, and a good steamy book to make me w—warm.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve dreamt up stories for as long as I can remember, although I never had the confidence to share them with anyone. 

I took art in school and pursued a career as a graphic designer, which I still do now as my day job. It was only a few years ago that I took up writing again after being inspired by Anna Todd’s success on Wattpad.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

Not really growing up, but writers who influence me now are the indie authors. 

It’s refreshing to see Indie authors thriving and able to write what they like without the constraints of trad publishing.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

No, although I think we pick up traits from various people we know and mix them in to our characters subconsciously.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 

It can be a song, a movie or another book that sparks an idea, but mostly it’s real life where my ideas come from and my own experiences.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

I have a basic outline in my head as to where the story goes and ends. But I let the characters fill in the in-between. 

However, my book, Forever Yours, had three different endings before I published.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

Usually an idea in my head.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

In bed. I love to go to bed early and either write or read, leaving my husband to watch sports. 

Trouble is, the kids usually follow me up so my down time doesn’t actually start until they’re in bed.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

So many so I will say my most recent reads. 

JT Geissinger is my go to if I’m in the mood for a plot twist and mind fcuk. 

Sara Cate is my go to for the filth. 

Jenni Barra is my small town/sports romance. 

Harley Larous for something a little darker. 

Some others on my Kindle are Penelope Douglas, J Preston, Lia Preston, Danielle Marx, Heather Lauren, N Dune, JL Vanders, Caitriona Drexler, L. Hope and Rebecca Rayne.

 

What are your favorite books by others? 

The After series will always have a special place in my heart as it rekindled my love of writing again. 

Others that I gave five stars are Priest by Sierra Simone, Give Me More by Sara Cate and Credence by Penelope Douglas.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

In my stories, where possible I always try to write what I know. Growing up in Nottinghamshire on the border of Yorkshire, I like to write places I’ve been.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

It depends on the story. Sometimes I feel the story is best told from a single POV.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool? 

People. It’s also strange how people cross your path just when you need them. 

I’m currently writing a character for a romantic suspense. He is ex-army and I was talking to another writer who’s grown up surrounded by the army. She is now my go to for all army questions.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name? 

Yes, just the one. It’s hard enough to market yourself with one name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference? 

I write Romance. 

Plus size romance to be specific because I wanted to give bigger girls like myself some body positivity.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

I’m a graphic designer by day. This has given me an advantage to design all my own covers and promo graphics. 

When I’m not writing, I like to be creative in other ways. It’s therapeutic for me. 

As a family we tour the British countryside in our caravan most weekends through the summer. My husband’s hobby, but it’s very relaxing to sit in the middle of nowhere with a book in hand.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

Keep writing. 

Read more. 

Learn the craft (I don’t think we ever stop learning). 

Join writing groups and critique groups and have a solid group of people around you who will support you. I have made friends all over the world through writing and they are always there to offer emotional support as well as advice on publishing and writing. 

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

I cry haha. I actually try not to read reviews anymore. 

You can have 100 people say how amazing your book is, but you will always focus on that 1 bad review. 

Recently I came across a bad review on a social media platform, it stopped me writing for a whole week. I just wasn’t in the right headspace and started questioning everything. 

I spend a lot of time away from my family, with a full time job, a husband and two children, I work really hard to fit writing in and sometimes that takes precedence over spending time with my kids. 

So when you get a negative review you kind of think to yourself, I’ve missed time with my family for this. Why do I bother, then you get a message from a reader saying your words spoke to her and she resonated with the character and then you realise why you started writing. 

There is so much negativity in the world and I always strive to be a positive person but sometimes the negativity can bring you down.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process? 

For me it’s the rewrites and the edits. 

I’m one of those people that will read it over and over and continuously tweak. 

But there comes a time when you have to let go (usually about a week before the publication deadline).

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

Silence.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

My writing girls, The Yorkshire Lasses or my critique partners across the pond.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 

Coffee and biscuits.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

Silence

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

Yes, I have a King Charles Cavalier and every time I sit down to write on the sofa, he nuzzles his head under my hand, pressing the keys in the process.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game? 

Bad reviews and negativity.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 

Noooooo. I don’t think I could do it.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 

There is no better feeling than typing the end, but I don’t celebrate. I’m just anxious of sending out for feedback. 

However I do have celebrations lined up after a publication. Last time I booked a holiday the day after.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Annie Charme!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/09/author-in-glance-annie-charme.html


Make sure to give Annie Charme a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Annie:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group: The Yorkshire Lasses Book Hub
https://www.facebook.com/groups/209489034359879

Instagram:

Tik Tok:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


No comments:

Post a Comment