Sunday, September 11, 2022

INTERVIEW with JC HANNIGAN


I want to thank JC Hannigan for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

J.C. Hannigan lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband, their two sons and their dog.

She writes contemporary romance stories with compelling characters and vibrant plots that focus on relationships, mental health, social issues, and other life challenges.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?


I’ve wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. I’ve always loved escaping in a good book, and daydreamed about writing my own stories. 


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I read pretty much everything and anything I could get my hands on.

At 11, I was bouncing back and forth between my mother’s collection of Nora Roberts and Danielle Steel books and my father’s Bryce Courtenay and Stephen King books. 


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

A LOT of characters were based on or inspired by people in real life.

Bill Armstrong of my Rebel series is a lot like my dad. Frank Murphy of the Forgotten Flounders series was based off my papa. 


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I draw a lot of inspiration for my writing from my life and the people in it. I also draw from situations I’ve experienced, or witnessed someone I care about experience. 


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a basic outline and idea of what I’m writing, but the characters really lead the way.

It’s all character driven. Sometimes, they change the entire outline to suit their discovered needs 😉 


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes! I try to Google or search Pinterest for people that best resemble the characters in my head.

For example, Bella Throne is exactly how I [physically] pictured Connor Jacobs. Christopher Mason Brown (the model), is closest to how I envisioned Dare.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love reading! Especially outside. 


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Amy Daws, Sara Ney, Kat Singleton, Breanna Lynn, Monty Jay, Ginger Scott, Claire Kingsley (to name a few).


What are your favorite books by others?

CANDY COLORED SKY by Ginger Scott

COURAGE FOR FOOLS by Monty Jay

FOUNDED ON GOODBYE by Kat Singleton 

PUCKED by Helena Hunting


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

YES! All the locations in my stories have special meaning to me. My Collide series kicks off in North Bay, where my husband and I lived for several years, and the heroine even works at a similar diner to the one I worked at while living there.  

My Damaged series is set in the same towns I grew up in (Newcastle, Ontario). 

My Rebel series was inspired by my husband’s family’s heritage land in Parry Sound, Ontario. 

THE KEY TO 19B Novella takes place in Bowmanville, actually in the very first apartment my husband and I rented. 

COALESCENCE is based in Port Hope, Ontario, another town I lived in for years. 

When I was a little girl reading, I’d seek out books based in areas I knew, like Kit Pearson’s THE SKY IS FALLING, about two children come to Canada during WW2 to escape the London bombings. I decided when I became a writer, I’d write about the places I’ve been to (or want to go to). 


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I’ve written a series in single POV before (the Collide series), but most of my books are in multiple POV. 


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Living life! Embracing ALL it has to offer, the good and the not so good. 


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I do write under a pen name, my initials and my maiden last name. I just have the one for now! 


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write romance, and I’ll probably always write books with romantic themes.

I just love writing about love…not just romantic love, but love between friends and family and communities. I also love the lessons found in romance books. 


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m married to a handsome welder and we have two beautiful boys together.

My sons and I all have a rare autosomal chronic pain bone disorder called Multiple Hereditary Exostoses. I was diagnosed at 18 months and I’ve had upwards of 30 surgeries to remove the painful exostoses. 


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Just write the story!

Don’t overthink it too much. You can always edit a crappy first draft, but you can’t do much with a blank page! 


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I know I won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s okay!

I tend to avoid reading reviews unless I absolutely have to, because obviously writers are sensitive creatures (or at least, I am).

I’ve learned a lot from the not-so-great reviews, and I pull any constructive criticism and apply it to future works. 


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing!

I dread editing. I love letting the story spill out but deciding what isn’t relevant and what is, is a complete nightmare.

It’s all relevant in my head! 😉


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

A tidy(ish) area, a cup of coffee (or iced coffee!), and music. 


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I generally like to snack on something extremely unhealthy, usually candy. 


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

The twisted sisters (Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti, authors of the Zodiac Academy series).

I just wanna know what goes on in their heads…and I wanna see the sister bond creating mayhem in action LOL 


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I mainly write in the mornings and do admin work/marketing in the afternoon.

My favourite drink while writing would be coffee, tea, or iced coffee (or hot chocolate and french vanillas during the winter months). 


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes! I have so many different Spotify playlists, it really depends on what I’m writing and what the “vibe” is.

I love so many different genres, I don’t even think I have a favourite! 


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Oh yes, sometimes they demand more attention than the kids! 


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Stressful life situations are my kryptonite, as I’m not as good at handling stress as I like to pretend.

Definitely hits me in my creative bones and makes it a little hard to keep focused! 


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet 😉


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually 


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for JC Hannigan!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/09/author-at-glance-jc-hannigan.html#more

Make sure to give JC Hannigan a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with JC Hannigan:

Email:

Website:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:

Twitter:


Newsletter Sign-Up:


No comments:

Post a Comment