Thursday, September 8, 2022

INTERVIEW with IVY WILD


I want to thank Ivy Wild for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Writer of all things untamed, romantic and free, Ivy Wild never planned on becoming a romance novelist. In fact, she hated romance as a kid and was quite proud of that fact. Basically, life is weird.


Her current side hustle is being a lawyer.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I don’t think there was a specific moment where I decided I wanted to be a writer. I used to write a lot when I was younger, but mostly fantasy. 

During my last semester of law school, I think I just got so stressed out and needed a creative outlet, so I started writing short stories and posting them online. Everything just sort of grew from there!

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I used to read fantasy exclusively. Mercedes Lackey was my go-to author when I was younger.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes and no. 

I definitely draw inspiration from events and people, but I wouldn’t say I’ve ever based a character exclusively on someone in my life.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I’m a lawyer by day, so I am really comfortable writing “business world” plots. That helps a lot. 

Otherwise, I generally just have ideas pop into my head and I will write them down to try and turn them into books later!

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’ve tried both. 

I have written books where I plot absolutely nothing and just dive in and I have written books where I plot out chapter by chapter what is going to happen. I really enjoy the former; it allows the characters to lead me where they want to go.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Nope! I usually just envision a character in my head and then let them shape their appearance and personality as I go along.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Writing is definitely one of my escapes. I do so much logical, regimented work every day. 

Being able to sit and write in a totally new world can be very relaxing for me. Otherwise, I’m big into music and nature.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Honestly, my schedule is so crazy these days that I have very little, if any time to read.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

Sirens of Titan is probably one of my favorite books ever.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I always try and write what I know. My last Kings of Capital series took place throughout D.C. and surrounding areas because I’ve lived and worked in the city, so it was easy to place everyone there.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google for sure!

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I do write under a pen name, but Ivy Wild is my only pen name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary romance. I think it’s just easy for me to write in this world because I am able to pull from my own experiences and make the books (hopefully) feel more relatable.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Oh gosh, where to even start haha. 

I am the last of three kids. 

My mother is a professional musician, so I think I gained some of the creative side from her.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Just take a deep breath and don’t stress. 

Don’t compare yourself to others. 

Go at your own pace and write what you want to write.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Well, I did make a TikTok about some negative reviews on my books as a satirical commentary. 

When I first started out, negative reviews really affected me. Like, a LOT. These days I don’t really get bothered by them. You just get to a point where you realize you can’t make everyone happy and that’s okay.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

For me it’s just finding the time to write these days. I work a lot, so finding time to sit down and write is a challenge.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music. I usually listen to chilled cow lofi on YouTube while I write so I’m not distracted.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I always write in bed.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Already have! Got to spend an amazing weekend with L.J. Shen last year. 

She is an amazing and genuinely kind human being and has helped me so much in my author career.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I just try and write whenever I have a spare moment!


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Lofi for sure!


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Oh, I’m sure they have. I have a German Shepherd dog and a cat and while generally calm, I’m sure they’ve interfered once or twice.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

If I’m not in the mood to write or it doesn’t come easily, that can really mess with my head and give me writer’s block.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Nope!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually if I have time, I’ll start writing the next book!



I hope you enjoyed this interview!




Make sure to give Ivy Wild a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Ivy:






Facebook:


Instagram:




No comments:

Post a Comment