Sunday, May 29, 2022

INTERVIEW with ASHLEY ZAKRZEWSKI


I want to thank Ashley Zakrzewski for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

USA Today and International Best Selling Author Ashley Zakrzewski is known for her captivating storytelling, sultry plots, and dynamic protagonists. 

Hailing from Arkansas, her affinity for the written word began early on, and she has been relentlessly chasing after her dreams ever since.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I began writing short stories when I was in seventh grade, and my English teacher told me I had a talent. She inspired me to follow my dream, and I wrote short stories for almost a decade. 

I worked on my first book, Someone Like Lorenzo, for almost four years and took the leap and published it.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I loved Roald Dahl, and Nicholas Sparks.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

 There are not.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Most of my books are inspired from dreams or nightmares I’ve had personally.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I usually outline - and then the characters take over and make it their own. It’s a annoying process, but it ends up being greater that way. Let the characters tell you what they want.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I don’t usually have photos to inspire me unless I have book covers made beforehand. Then, I use that for inspiration.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love to read Colleen Hoover to decompress.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Colleen Hoover and Kaye Kennedy

 

What are your favorite books by others?

Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover and Micah by Nikki Rome.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

They don’t.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in DUAL POV from the two love interests.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary Romance. This is what I love to read, so it’s what I love to write.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I work a full-time job, attend college to finish my business degree, and write as much as I can. 

I’m someone who doesn’t like to be still, and many people think I’m a robot. I promise, I’m not.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Get the words down on the page. 

Don’t worry if it isn’t where it needs to be. First drafts are usually not the best, but once you have the first draft done, you can focus on making it BETTER. 

Just get the words down on the page.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I typically don’t read book reviews.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Outlining takes me a long time. It’s actually what takes the longest in my process.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

It has to be decluttered and silence.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Starbucks coffee, all the way.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I would love to talk to Lauren Blakely or Colleen Hoover. Colleen has a way of capturing our hearts and pulling on our strings with every book she writes.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I am usually drinking coffee and eating Chex Mix.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I can listen to instrumental music very low, but not full music. I get distracted too easily.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

My dogs are pains, and always want to be in my lap, so I only write in my office usually for this reason.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Clutter and sickness. Otherwise, I’m writing.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I originally did, but then when my BETA read it, she told me that the readers are going to be MAD, so I brought him back to life, and he is one of my most loved characters.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually by taking a week off, and binge watching a favorite show.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interview/reviews for Ashley Zakrzewski!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/05/author-at-glance-ashley-zakrzewski.html#more


Connect with Ashley:

Email: authorashleyzakrzewski@gmail.com

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:


No comments:

Post a Comment