Saturday, May 21, 2022

INTERVIEW with KRISTINA M


I want to thank Kristina M for taking the time for this interview!

Bio:

Serbian roots, Hungarian citizenship, Spanish schooling, English family - friends and living in Austrias capital.

My heart belongs to Hospitality, mostly revenue management. However sometimes it’s good to relax, where I find my peace in writing.

As you see, there are a lot of cultures and interesting things that brought me from one place to the other.

Great inspirations to current and future novels to come. 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

I didn’t know it. I always liked to express my thoughts and emotions on paper and one day the idea hit me to publish. That is how I started.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

Danielle Steele, Hotel Vendome was the book that made me fall in love in hospitality. 

Besides her, I liked J.K. Rowling and her books, but who didn’t?!

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

Yes, some are my close friends and family members. They are more inspired by them as actually the same person.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 

Usually I get inspiration by looking at people's behavior during flights and airports. It’s the time I am usually bored and like to see and listen what others do. 

Might sound creepy, but several characters actions were built based on that.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

I have a basic idea, but the characters change a lot during the writing. In a lot of cases there is another storyline which changes the story and the characters as well, which comes usually out of the blue or when I start proofreading.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

My cheater photo is movies. I get very attached to movie characters and their descriptions.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

In the livingroom on the sofa, I have a huge white teddy bear who I like to lay next to and read. It’s the most relaxing and comfortable position to have a break from everything.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

I don’t have anyone. I try to check out different authors all the time and get inspiration from them.

 

What are your favorite books by others? 

Hotel Vendome, as mention above.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

Not really, I am more attached to characters then the location. They are just a very small part of the whole story.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

Single POV

 

What do you find to be your best research tool? 

Reading similar books and making notes while reading.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name? 

I use only Kristina M.  M is actually the first letter of my maiden name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Young Adult books. The reason is that I love the “airport romance novels’ which you grab at the airport and you read during a holiday. This is the type of book I would like to write. Something which is a relaxing holiday romance to enjoy while travelling.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

I speak 5 languages, which I can thank to my grandparents and parents who gave me the opportunity to study in an international school and work abroad. I worked in several hotels for over ten years. 

Due to covid, I had to change and joined a start-up company which is providing a unique tax software, which doesn’t exist anywhere else in the market. I am working there over 2 years and never thought I would enjoy something else other than hospitality, but seeing the company growing and expanding is something truly amazing. It is a great inspiration to see the three founders motivate the employees and its something great to look up to.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

Never give up. You will receive bad reviews and haters who won’t like your work, but they are a few from many others. Do what you love and grow with it. Nobody was famous after their first book.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

I try to learn from them. Take it a learning experience and nothing personal.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process? 

Accepting to finish and knowing when to stop and hand it in.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

Music in my ears. It brings me to another universe where I can concentrate and focus.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

I don’t like stepping into some else’s shoes, as I am happy with who I am and what I am.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 

I usually forget to drink or eat, as I write most often in very early morning or late evenings. Time doesn’t exist then and I forget completely about food and drinking, which is of course not the best thing to do.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

Always. My favorite is Celine Dion and her old songs. For some reason it is very relaxing and inspiring.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game? 

My husband J. When he is around, he makes noices or talks to me all the time, which puts me off very quickly. At the same time he is my supporter, but a distraction as well.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 

No, I tried to focus on happy ending.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 

With a nice cocoa and a good movie with my husband.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Kristina M!


No comments:

Post a Comment