Thursday, May 19, 2022

INTERVIEW with LAINEY DAVIS


I want to thank Lainey Davis for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

Lainey Davis lives in Pittsburgh in the USA with her 3 feral sons, 2 rescued rabbits, and 1 tired husband. She loves brooding heroes, fiery heroines, and happily ever afters.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always been a writer! My mom saved little “books” I wrote in second grade…

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I inhaled everything by LM Montgomery and Madeline L’Engle.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Years ago, I was hired to write a corporate history about a small, family-based engineering company. I thought the family was so kooky, so interesting. I never forgot them. 

Once I started writing romance … I started to wonder if I could fictionalize those folks. The Brady Family series was born!

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

In Pittsburgh, we’ve got a word—nebby. It means nosy. I’m super nebby. 

I’m always listening and watching and filing away little things I see and hear to weave them into books.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I try to link my series together, so I always at least think of families and friend-groups and some basic details about each person so I can introduce them and later write their book. 

But apart from each character’s basic problem and meetcute, I let them tell me their story.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes!

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Steamy audiobooks for sure. I love listening to them in the bath.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

So many! I’m on a Tessa Bailey bender right now and am also re-reading all the Bergman books by Chloe Liese.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

This winter, when my kids were home for an entire month because COVID closed their schools…I listened to the entire ACOTAR series. Twice.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I love when the setting is a character in the story. I work really hard to make Pittsburgh pop as a location in my books. It’s such a vibrant place to live, so I hope I convey that my characters feel that way, too.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Apart from my first two novellas, all my books have been alternating POV.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Friends! I have no shame—I call my friends all the time to ask questions, visit them at work, follow them around. I interviewed so many mail carriers when I was writing Current, for instance.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Lainey Davis is a pen name, but it’s my only one! When I started writing romance, I was working in university communications and had to keep some separation. By the time I was able to leave my day job and write full time…Lainey was already established and I didn’t want to change anything!

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Steamy contemporary. That’s what I most like to read. Life is too short to read fade-to-black books. Ha!

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I sing all the time. While I’m driving, walking, typing…I must seem like a weirdo if people don’t know me.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Read voraciously and then just sit down and write. Even if it’s terrible! That’s what revision is for.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Not well! Haha. Sometimes they do contain useful kernels of info. Sometimes they’re great for my marketing. 

I have a file of all the one-stars I get for my books having too much sex!

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Around 70% through each book, I convince myself it’s terrible, I’m a big fake, and nobody will ever want to read the book. Then I have a small tantrum and get back to it and I can usually finish a draft pretty soon after.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet. And it’s hard to come by, especially since pandemic.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I eat too much chocolate.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I am so lucky to have met some really cool authors this past year. I get to zoom chat with them every Friday! There’s a whole group of us writing rom-coms and they are the sunshine in my week.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I usually start my day with marketing/paperwork stuff (emails, ads, proofreading, etc.) and then I eat lunch, and then I have a thinking nap, and then I wake up and write my word count.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No, I need silence or I just can’t write.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have rescued rabbits free roaming around my house, like cats. They sometimes get really loud when they’re shredding their cardboard scratch pads.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Nah

 

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interview/reviews for LAINEY DAVIS at one glance!

Make sure to to give Lainey a shout out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Connect w/ Lainey:

laineydaviswrites@gmail.com 

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/authorlaineydavis

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/authorlaineydavis

TikTok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@authorlaineydavis

Bookbub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/lainey-davis

Newsletter:
https://www.subscribepage.com/v8c1u0

Website:
https://www.laineydavis.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment