Tuesday, May 17, 2022

INTERVIEW with STEVIE D PARKER

I want to thank Stevie Parker for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

Born and raised in New York City as a “nineties teenager”, Stevie D. Parker grew up studying journalism. When life took her in a different direction, she spent the past two decades as a Public Relations Executive. A position that involved traveling throughout the US and dealing with many different types of people.

A self-proclaimed “realist” with an astute sense of people and situations. She is fun loving, open minded and spontaneous but believes that everything happens for a reason. Passionate about everything she does, Stevie now spends her time writing fictional stories based on real life experiences.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was a writer as a teenager. I have had poetry published and was on the school newspaper. I had initially started out as a journalism major, but life had a way of taking me in a different direction and I ended up in my career accidentally, having nothing at all to do with writing.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I loved all the V.C Andrews series growing up, however my all-time favorite book since my teens was The Catcher in the Rye.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Most are based on a mixture of people I know in real life, including pieces of myself.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

They just come to me, sporadically. My first novel actually came to me in a dream, where I was writing the last page of the book and when I woke up, I had remembered it word for word and wrote it down.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

There is nothing basic about my outline. My outline is crazy detailed and researched, down to the actual weather every Christmas that took place in my debut novel, Wounds of Time.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

With the men, it’s a typically a celebrity I like at the time.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Meditation, although I haven’t had much relaxation time as of late.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

T S Simons, Sara Louisa, K C Poitras, Paula Dombrowiak and Felicity Rose, to name a few.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

The Liv Series by Sara Louisa, The Antipodes Series by T S Simons, Chasing Fireflies by K C Poitras, (which I beta read, it hasn’t released yet) and The Real Thing by Felicity Rose. All different genres.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I try to stick with New York based stories, since I know it so well. When I venture out to another location, it is typically somewhere I have been.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Wounds of Time and My Significant Nobody are both multiple POVs. My WIP, 542 Days: Recollection is one POV.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Depends on the topic. I do a lot of polls within my group of friends; a lot of scenes are based on real life experiences. Of course, google is a HUGE help lol.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, it’s a pen name and I can barely manage that one, let alone more.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I don’t want to be boxed into one specific genre. Wounds of Time is romantic suspense, My Significant Nobody contemporary romance (which was completely out of my comfort zone, and my least favorite genre) and 542 Days: Recollection is paranormal/supernatural.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have a vivid imagination and a sarcastic sense of humor, sometimes it makes it to paper.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Take your time and don’t force it, let it come to you.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

The same as I do with the positive ones. I read them, take them into consideration and move on.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Getting it on the paper! I constantly joke I wish I can hire someone to type as I speak.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Complete silence.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I wake up an hour early every day to write a chapter before my day job begins.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No, I am very into music, and I need to hear every lyric, I would never be able to listen to music and write at the same time.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No, my dog has a bed in my office. He pulls it under my desk and relaxes as I write.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Reading! I cannot read another author’s work while I’m in my writing process. I do not want their writing to influence mine.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Guilty.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I go out for a nice dinner and drinks with my husband.

 

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interview/reviews for Stevie D Parker at one glance!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/05/author-at-glance-stevie-d-parker.html#more


Make sure to give Stevie a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!


Connect w/ Stevie: 

Email:
stevieparker1226@gmail.com

Website:
https://www.steviedparker.com/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/steviedparker1226/

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Stevie-D-Parker/e/B095J3FXT7

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/22107111.Stevie_D_Parker

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/profile/stevie-d-parker

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/stevie_d_parker/

Twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/steviedparker2


No comments:

Post a Comment