Sunday, May 22, 2022

INTERVIEW with STEPHANIA THOMPSON

 

I want to thank Stephania Thompson for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

Stephania Thompson is the author of Woven (Orange Blossom Publishing 2022). As a poet and multi-genre author, her work has appeared in a variety of online publications as well as several print anthologies. 

Formerly a CPA in the corporate world, Stephania now writes from the comfort of a modern day crumbling castle alongside her very own knight in shining armor. Together they have four valiant offspring, a brave aussiedoodle, and one not-so-fire-breathing dragon.

When not writing, working, or waiting in a carpool line, she can be found running local trails and escaping in a book at her favorite cafĂ©, iced latte in hand. She is a sucker for quirky romance, is addicted to audiobooks, and finds herself hopelessly drawn to flawed characters, raw honesty, and life’s cringiest moments. Learn more at www.stephaniathompson.com and find her on Twitter @stephthmpsn and Instagram @stephtwrites


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I grew up as an only child, books were often my only companions. I remember crafting stories in my head, imagining my own adventures. I wanted to recreate the way books made me feel. This eventually grew into a desire to make others feel the same way. To provide an escape, if only for time. 

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Not writers, specifically, but readers. And musicians. My mother is an accomplished pianist and an avid reader. Growing up we read together all the time. She instilled in me an appreciation for the arts and a deep love of the written word. We read everything from poetry and classics to suspense and romance. I never returned from a store empty handed–she always let me pick out a book. From that early love of reading grew the desire to write. To create worlds and people who entertained and inspired like the stories and characters I’d grown to love.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

There are pieces of the people in my life woven into each character, but no character is based on one specific person. Writing in first person, I found it difficult sometimes not to infuse myself into the character I was writing…so there’s probably a little more of me in my characters than I intended.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I’m not sure if this will make sense, but I bring the characters along with me wherever I go. If I’m at the store, they are there too. As I experience things, I make note of their reactions, record what they might say, try to feel what they’re feeling. 

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

With Woven, I knew the beginning, and I knew the end, but I had no idea until I started writing how David, Josh, and Kate would make it from point A to point B. Their story slowly revealed itself as I wrote. I’m not sure I’d recommend this method, but for me, for this book, it worked.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes and no. With David and Kate, I pictured pieces of them. Features like hair, eyelashes, the curve of a leg, eye color, and so on. I saw them in glimpses. Josh was different. I knew exactly what he looked like from the start. Same with the supporting characters, some I knew completely, others, not as much. 

I definitely used pictures as inspiration, though. Pinterest is a writer’s best friend!

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading, definitely. But I’ve grown to love audiobooks. If I really want to relax, I curl up on the couch with a good audiobook, my airpods, and a cozy blanket. 

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I have an eclectic reading taste, so I’m all over the place. A few current authors I enjoy (in no particular order)... 

Helen Hunting, Sarina Bowen, Elle Kennedy, Jay Bell, Sally Thorne, Colleen Hoover, Sarah Dessen, Casey McQuiston, Becky Albertalli, Jandy Nelson, Jenny Han, Donna Tartt, John Green, Paula Hawkins, Kristin Hannah, and J.K. Rowling to name a few.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Almost every location in Woven has meaning to me. I’m a Maryland native and spent much of my professional career in Baltimore City. The towns along the Outer Banks in North Carolina also hold special meaning. 

With Woven being my first novel, I wanted the setting to be somewhere special and familiar.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV, first person is my preferred style. This is also my preferred reading style.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Observation, experience, and the Internet…in that order.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Just me for now. Although, most people know me as Steph, not Stephania.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary romance is my preference. I love relationships. The tension, the push and pull, the cringy awkwardness of it all. The fluttery headtrip that is first-love. I will read any genre, but if I’m writing, there’s some kind of romance happening.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

First and foremost, I’m a mom to four wonderful kids…three boys and a girl. I’m an accountant by trade, but writing has always been my passion. 

As far as accomplishments and quirks…Hmm, let’s see. I keep bearded dragons as pets. I once dressed as a Planters Peanut for a BJ’s Wholesale Club grand opening. I'm a third generation Cypriot, and our current home is a modern-day money pit. 

Things about me specifically? I hate eating off plates and avoid them whenever possible. I've trained for multiple marathons/half-marathons but never ran in one. And I attended three different colleges but still graduated in four years!

 

If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

I’m not, but would love to collaborate with another writer. Some of my recent favorite books are collaborations (The Unhoneymooners, Top Secret, etc.)

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write what you love, not what you think others will love. Write for yourself, because you have to, not because you want to sell a million copies or become a famous author. It’s a marathon, not a sprint…savor every mile.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Tears and wine, lol. No, seriously, though, I remind myself reading is very personal. Not all stories are for all people. If everyone feared negative feedback, imagine the beauty and creativity that would never be shared.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

For me, it’s finding the time to actually write. I have all these ideas, but I’m either too tired or they’ve escaped me by the time I finally sit down at the computer.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I wish I had a writing space! Woven was written at 4:30 am on a stationary bike, in car parking lots at soccer practice, on my phone in the grocery store, in the bathroom, and a million other places. 

With four kids, sticking to a writing schedule or writing space is almost impossible. I could write a book about all the places I wrote Woven! Throw a pandemic in the mess and a year and half of virtual learning? It’s a miracle I wrote a page.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Hmm…this is a tough one. I guess sometimes I imagine myself as one of the characters. Indulge in a little mind roll play. Or I’ll imagine their lives off page. Picture them doing something perhaps they wouldn’t want the reader to know…

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

This is probably a clichĂ© answer, but the Harry Potter series had such an impact on me as a reader and writer, I’d love to spend a day with J.K. Rowling. 

I want to know how she kept all the characters, settings, and plot points straight. I have a hard enough time doing this in a setting I can visit and Google, I can’t imagine keeping an entire world in order.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I wish I could stick to a schedule, but more often than not I’m writing in between other things. As for snacks? I could live on Cinnamon Chex cereal and Iced Mocha lattes.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I don’t generally listen to music when I write. I do, however, use Word’s audio feature to listen to what I’ve written. This is how I edit. 

As for taste in music? I listen to almost anything, but a few of my all-time favorite bands/artists are Twenty One Pilots, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band, and just about any song featuring Khalid. 

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Only in the best possible way. I wrote Woven with Bandito, our female bearded dragon, on the table beside me. She was the best writing companion (and sadly passed away last year). But she had/has a Tik Tok account, and I will admit to far too much time and effort spent on her videos. Check it out https://www.tiktok.com/@booksandbeardies.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

I’ve spent entire days on one sentence, trying to perfect the words. I have a hard time moving forward if I don’t love what I’ve just written. This method requires less editing in the end, but is painstakingly slow when trying to get a story nailed down. I envy those writers who fly through the first version of a novel before any self-editing. 

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet…

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Edit. Revise. Edit. Repeat. Is there ever really an end? 

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Stephania Thompson!

Make sure to give a shout out to Stephania and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect w/ Stephania:

Email:

Website:

Linktree:

Facebook:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:

Medium:

Tik Tok:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:

Woven Book trailer:

Woven Preorder (signed copy):


No comments:

Post a Comment