Saturday, May 28, 2022

INTERVIEW with KM BRADY

 


I want to thank Katie Brady for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

K.M. Brady is the author of Perfectly Imperfectly A Mess, and Elephant Journal article, Strength Through Heartbreak

A medical professional by day, writer by night, she received her Associates of Science in Business Administration and Management from Columbia College.

A Miami native, she is a lover of poetry, sports, and beaches, and currently residing in North Carolina. She believes that "There is a light at the end of your trauma." 

Her favorite writer is Pierre Alex Jeanty, writer of poetry books like Her and Him. She believes that through faith, love, honesty and strength, you can overcome anything.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I knew I wanted to write when I was in 2nd grade. I entered a contest for Fathers Day and won 2nd place and that sparked my interest. 

 

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

 Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou & Elizabeth Barrett Browning 

 

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

 

My entire book is based on my life and true events 

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

 

My life and experiences 

 


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

 

For Perfectly Imperfectly A Mess, I let the story take me where it needed to go. 

 


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?


The book I’m writing now, I would say not really. I kind of have a personal preference of look for men that I describe. 

 

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?


I like to relax with a bath and a book.

 

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

 

Right now I’m reading Brittanee Nicole, but I love Amy Palatnik & Pierre Jeanty 

 


What are your favorite books by others?


Can I be Honest With You? Amy Palatnik 

Tales of a Crazy Cat Lady by Starr Md

Anything by Pierre Jeanty 

 

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?


They are all locations that I have lived or been to

 

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?


Single 

 

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

 

Real life experience

 


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?


Yes

 

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?


Memoir is my first release

Currently, I’m writing a romance and a poetry book 

 

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

 

I’m just a sarcastic single mom that’s worked hard, been on her own since she was 17 and I kickbox. 

 


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

 

Just start!

Everyone has a story to tell in them somewhere and there is someone that is dying to hear it. 

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

 

Like I handle negative opinions, I pay them no attention and take the criticism and move forward. If the criticism is helpful to me, I implement the suggestions, but if it’s just hateful, then I ignore it. 



What is the most difficult part of your writing process?


Staying consistent. It’s so easy to get distracted with life and being a mom that writing sometimes falls way down the list. 

 


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

 

Music, candles and cozy blankets. 



What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?


Salty snacks and it used to be wine, but now it’s rum and body armor drinks mixed together. 

 


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?


Willow Winters. She is so inspiring and so magnificent. She’s accomplished so much as a writer and made herself so available to us younger writers, I’d love to learn whatever her mind wants to share. 

 


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?


No schedule so to speak, I just start and stop when I start seeing the words sounding like they make no sense. 

 


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?


I love to listen to Christina Perri & Sara Bareilles when I write. Christina is my favorite singer, her music is so beautiful and I love it. 

 


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?


My dog loves to hop up and try to be a part of any story I’m writing.

 


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?


Insecurity. The fear that what I’ve written is not good enough, so I’ll write it again and again. 

 


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?


Not yet 

 


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

 

Re-read the entire book ðŸ˜† 


I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews with Katie Brady!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/05/author-at-glance-katie-brady.html 


Make sure to give Katie a shout out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

 

Connect with Katie:

 

Email: authorkmbrady@gmail.com


Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

Facebook: 

Instagram:

Twitter:

Tiktok:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment