Saturday, August 20, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - WHEN YOU FORGET ME by Lorelei Johnson


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY

When You Forget Me

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Lorelei Johnson's When You Forget Me!


SYNOPSIS:

Elspeth has been cursed by a warlock who wants her for his own. But she refuses to submit to him, instead she goes on the run and tries to find someone who can help her break the curse.

Roman is a vampire and when he meets Elspeth he knows she’s his mate. But witches don’t have mates, so he needs to convince her that he’s worth taking a chance on. Not an easy feat when she’s so close to running from him at every turn.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Paranormal romance … the genre was decided before the story began.

 

Are you more character or plot driven?

I tend to be more character driven.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I use Living Writer, and it has some really helpful tools. At any point, I can bring up a certain character’s information as a side bar, say, if I forget what colour their eyes were or something like that.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

This does tend to happen, but it didn’t happen in When You Forget Me. 

I think that’s because I didn’t plan it so heavily. I was sort of relying on Elspeth and Roman to help me figure out where the story was going.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

No. I don’t like to base my character’s on people. Though I may ask my fiancĂ© questions like ‘Is this something a guy would do?’ or ‘Why do men do this?’ to help me get in the right headspace.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

No. Although sometimes they have traits I wished I had.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

All of the smut scenes. I still find those so hard to write. I’ll write like fifty words and reward myself with a twenty-minute break, it’s so bad. 

I keep hoping that one day this will get easier and I’ll just be able to fly through them.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I don’t think I can pick from this book. I love Elspeth and I love Roman. Maybe when this becomes a series I’ll be able to answer that question better.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

Sometimes it’s a real struggle to get couples together. This one was harder for me in the sense that it started with them getting into bed and I was like “Okay, now I have to keep you apart somehow”. 

But to find a HEA, you really just need to know what it is the characters need to be happy. That’s either something the other person brings to the table or something they bring out in the character. 

For example, in When You Forget Me, Roman helps Elspeth realise her full magical potential and free herself from a dire situation.

 

What scene in this book sticks out the most for you?  Why?

There’s a scene towards the end of the book (and I don’t want to give too many spoilers) but there is a scene towards the end where Elspeth’s power finally awakens to save Roman, but instead of controlling it, her power is controlling her. And then when it’s over he has to talk her down. That’s one of my favourites.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

It took me 5 weeks to write the book, and then the editing began. 

But I had a really tight deadline so I had to haul ass or I would have missed the boat.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book?

I had the idea for this story a while back, probably almost a year ago. I saw this image when I was looking for marketing stuff and from that image I knew roughly what the story would be about and the title just came to me then.

If only it was always that easy!

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

Absolutely! We’d have a grand old time.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

I’m going to answer this one because this will actually be a series at some point. I knew it was going to be a series after about chapter 3. But that’s all I’m going to tell you for now.

 

If your book was made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

I never know how to answer these questions, I’m not very good with celeb names. 

However, if Tom Hiddleston wanted to play any of my characters, all I can say is, yes please.

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

The series attached to this novella is not going to begin for a while yet (unfortunately), I’ve got a lot to get through before I start. But it is going to be big (as in, a lot of work for me). Witch wars, vampire kings, sirens, and a whole lot more. An impending end of the world as we know it.

There is one character who I am dying to write, but I know his book will need to be later in the series. I have to make all my readers demand his book before delivering it. 

If I can hold out that long…

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Lorelei Johnson!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-lorelei-johnson.html



BIO:

Lorelei Johnson is an Australian romance author, primarily writing Paranormal Romance and Fantasy Romance. She graduated from Flinders University, where she studied English Literature and Creative Writing before she discovered her degree was useless and she hated studying in an institution. She went into administrative work where she learnt just enough business sense to start publishing her own books.

Lorelei is fuelled by caffeine and sarcasm, priding herself as a true 90's kid. She labels her self-publishing as antiestablishment, but really she's just a chicken who decided to avoid the gatekeepers all together and enjoy the freedom to write whatever the heck she likes. Through her writing, she likes to explore the many facets of love and revel in a little magic and a little smut, of course.

 

Connect with Lorelei:

Website:
www.loreleijohnson.com

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B08PQJ31WF

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20839912.Lorelei_Johnson

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/profile/lorelei-johnson

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/LoreleiJohnsonAuthor/

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/loreleijohnsonauthor/

TikTok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@loreleijohnsonauthor

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://www.loreleijohnson.com/subscribe

  


Love and Unity: A Romance Charity Anthology to Benefit Ukraine

Promoted by:  Carxander Publishing
Cover Design:  Carter Cover Designs

Release Date: September 13th

Get your copy today!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1BKYLQW


ANTHOLOGY BLURB:

Love and Unity is a collection of steamy and sweet reads with sexy, Alpha males, and the other half of their hearts who brought them to their knees.

Included are exclusive, never-seen-before stories from popular indie authors. Inside you will find a plethora of second chance, contemporary, sports, paranormal, enemies-to-lovers, dark mafia, royal, fantasy, forbidden, age gap, and rockstar romances.

100% of the royalties will be donated to the Ukrainian Defense Fund to help those fighting for freedom in Ukraine.

Stories included in this Anthology

Love Always Wins by Anneke Boshoff
Love Me 'Til The End by Ayana Lisbet
Dragged Out Kicking and Screaming by D.L. Howe
There All Along by Darley Collins
Life After The Storm by Havana Wilder
Jimena by Kindra White
When You Forget Me by Lorelei Johnson
The Storyteller by Louise Murchie
The Detective's Forbidden Temptation by Melony Ann
Ten Days In Heaven by Samantha Michaels

 

Check out THE INSIDE SCOOP for the Love and Unity Anthology!
Meet the authors & get the story behind their stories!

https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-inside-scoop-love-and-unity-romance.html

No comments:

Post a Comment