Tuesday, August 30, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - THE DETECTIVES FORBIDDEN TEMPTATION by Melony Ann (Love and Unity Anthology)

 


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
The Detective's Forbidden Temptation

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Melony Ann's The Detective's Forbidden Temptation!


SYNOPSIS:

BLURB:

When I was promoted to detective, I expected my schedule would become more chaotic. I live for adrenaline, so it was a perk that I was all for.

What I did not expect was a small caseload. I guess it makes sense. Relatively small-town. Not a lot going on. When a huge case ends up on my desk, I throw all my time at it.

And it really is big.

The huge break I’ve been waiting for finally happens, but with it comes a challenge of epic proportions that I’m not prepared for in the slightest.

He’s a six foot something, pure muscle, and all attitude, eighteen-year-old, All-Star Quarterback who happens to still be a senior in high school. Oh yeah. And I happen to work with his dad. I’m sure there’s some law against being attracted to the son of one of my partners. Several, actually.

Against my better judgment, I take Xavier under my wing. I can’t seem to leave him alone. So when his life implodes, I won’t let him fight the battle alone. Being friend’s can’t be that hard, right?

Wrong. Very, very wrong. My attraction to him only grows, despite my best efforts to keep things platonic and friendly. Xavier belongs to me.

The consequences of an unexpected betrayal that blindsides me could not only cost me Xavier… but also my life.



What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

For me, my story is an MM Romance. 

There are a few tropes. It is an age-gap, sports, cop/quarterback romance. 

I knew I wanted to do an age-gap and sports romance. But the cop part of it was all the characters. I had nothing to do with it!

 

Are you more character or plot driven?

I want to say both. I do. But my stories are all character driven. I come up with a plot. I usually even map it out. Not like an outline, but I do write down the idea and map it out a little bit so I have direction. 

From there? The characters completely lead it. Sometimes, they are nice to me and stick close to what I want to do. 

Most of the time? They look at my idea, think how nice it is, then throw every single curveball they can at me and laugh the entire time.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I have girlfriend who quite literally keeps track of my entire life. Including my stories. 

If a character speaks to me and demands its own story, it usually speaks to her just as loudly. 

When I have an idea or when she does, she has a document and writes things down. That way, when I get to that book, we don’t forget what we planned for it.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Oh my Gosh. Yes. 

The story for this anthology was originally going to be a M/F Romance. Still age-gap, but it was a reverse age-gap. 

It was going to be a step-son/step-mom relationship that turns romantic after he goes off to college and comes home for a break to find her beaten up on the floor. He never considers her a mother figure. His mom died, but he was close to her and won’t allow anyone to replace her. 

Turns out another character had a louder voice and my original idea took a back seat to his story.  

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

All of my characters are based on males I know. They take on qualities of friends or family or those who mean everything to me and are my entire world. 

Bad guys are based on those I don’t like.  

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

The female characters all are based on me or my girlfriend. 

As is the male characters, the bad girls are based on those I don’t like.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

I haven’t started the book as of yet (note from READING BY DEB - at time of this interview), but I always struggle to write abuse or bullying or assaults. I’m not sure, yet, if this book will have any of that, but there will be drama. 

Since I feel my character’s emotions very deeply, when they struggle, so do I. If they are angry, I am, too. I think that is a quality of a good writer.

 

What is your favorite book in the series?

We are going to have amazing books in this anthology, and I am excited for them all! 

So many different tropes! We’ll have paranormal, mafia, sports, age-gap, a couple MM’s. So exciting!

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Oh crap. Good question. 

Um… Honestly, it’s a toss up for me. I love Josh Lucinio. I can’t wait for his book in my Lucinio Family Series. 

But I am also in love with Kade Deimos. He’ll be coming June 28, 2022. Between the two? I think I’ll just take a Josh/Kade sandwich.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Ooooofff… You are on fire with these questions! 

My favorite couple. I am a sucker for age-gap. I honestly love it so much. 

My favorite couple has always been Ryan and Arianna Crane from my Crane Family Series. Arianna is a smart and very strong woman, despite her age. Ryan is a badass mafia boss. There is a 20 year age-gap. 

The reason I love them so much is because Arianna is the one who can talk Ryan down and keep him centered. And Ryan is the dominant Alpha-male. I felt when I wrote him, the perfect guy, in my opinion, I needed to write a woman who could stand up to him and put him in his place if he needed it.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

I think because I feel them so much, maybe it’s the empath in me, I have never truly had a problem getting into their heads. It’s a matter of listening to them and writing their story. 

Meaning, the story that they want. Not what I do.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

I actually have a scene in my head right now about how they first met. 

I am currently finishing another book, so I can’t dive into this one yet, but what is standing out to me is how they are instantly attracted to each other, but aren’t going to admit it right away. When they do, though, sparks will explode!

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

I do have four series out right now. They aren’t related to the book in this anthology, though this book will be turning into a series. 

The hardest book I have ever written is Kade’s Redemption. I have never written a paranormal romance series before, so it was new, and I was not prepared for the amount of research I’d have to do. 

Like, did you know that male Shifters can get pregnant? Yeah, me neither…

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

Writing multiple POV’s is difficult because they tend to take on a life of their own and want their own story. Often times you end up with their storyline as well as the original storyline. 

I’ve actually quit doing it, but not because I didn’t love it. I had several people slam me in reviews regarding the use of multiple POVs and how confusing it is. One person actually told me that writing in first person was a cheap way of doing things. 

In my opinion, writing in first person allows a writer to really get into the characters head. I may not use multiple POVs, other than the hero and heroine, but I will never quit using first person writing.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

I haven’t started it, but the length of this book, about 30k to 40k words, will take me around 3 to 4 weeks from start to through the editing and proofing process. 

My wrist will hate me for it!

 

How did you come up with the title for your book?

I can’t take credit. My girlfriend did it, but it’s because the book is a forbidden romance, age-gap, between a detective and 18-year-old male quarterback.

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

I think so because they are based on males who are already in my life.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

This was supposed to be a standalone. It wasn’t even supposed to be an MM romance. 

Like every single one of my book ideas, though, there was a character in the back of my mind demanding his own story. You don’t ignore them. You do what they want or they will not shut up.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

I see David Gandy as the detective. As the football player? I’m going with Jeremy Irvine.

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

I have lots of books on my plate, but here’s a teaser from Kade’s Redemption. That paranormal wolf/shifter one! 

The further she fades, the more my heart breaks. The feeling I felt at finally feeling that mate bond after so many years of believing I’d never feel it was very short-lived. Feeling like I’m losing her before I even met her, though, is one of the two worst pains I’ve ever felt.  

No. I’m not fucking losing her. She’s close. We’re close. Hang on, my mate. I’m almost there. I don’t know if she can hear me, but I hope she can. I hope my voice brings her some kind of comfort and gives her the strength she needs to fight.

 

 Check out all my interviews/reviews for Melony Ann!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-melony-ann.html#more



BIO:

Melony Ann began writing short stories and poetry as a child. She continued honing her craft over the years until she took the plunge and began publishing her work, despite having severe anxiety.

Melony writes contemporary romance stories that are full of suspense and a lot of steam.

When she isn’t writing, she is loving her family and working to make her life something she deserves.

Melony believes that if her writing can inspire just one person, then all of her hard work is worth it.

Her hope is that her writing allows each and every one of her readers to escape for a little while. To dive into a different world one book at a time.


 

CONNECT WITH MELONY:

Email:
melonyannauthor@gmail.com

Website:
www.melonyannauthor.com

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3XCCBqE

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/melonyannauthor

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/profile/melony-ann

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/melonyannromanceauthor

Instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/melonyannauthor

Newsletter Sign-Up:
http://eepurl.com/g95c0j


 


Love and Unity: A Romance Charity Anthology to Benefit Ukraine

Promoted by:  Carxander Publishing
Cover Design:  Carter Cover Designs

Release Date: September 13th

Get your copy today!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1BKYLQW 

 

Love and Unity is a collection of steamy and sweet reads with sexy, Alpha males, and the other half of their hearts who brought them to their knees.

Included are exclusive, never-seen-before stories from popular indie authors. Inside you will find a plethora of second chance, contemporary, sports, paranormal, enemies-to-lovers, dark mafia, royal, fantasy, forbidden, age gap, and rockstar romances.

100% of the royalties will be donated to the Ukrainian Defense Fund to help those fighting for freedom in Ukraine.

Stories included in this Anthology

Love Always Wins by Anneke Boshoff
Love Me 'Til The End by Ayana Lisbet
Dragged Out Kicking and Screaming by D.L. Howe
There All Along by Darley Collins
Life After The Storm by Havana Wilder
Jimena by Kindra White
When You Forget Me by Lorelei Johnson
The Storyteller by Louise Murchie
The Detective's Forbidden Temptation by Melony Ann
Ten Days In Heaven by Samantha Michaels

 

Check out THE INSIDE SCOOP for the Love and Unity Anthology!
Meet the authors & get the story behind their stories!

https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-inside-scoop-love-and-unity-romance.html

No comments:

Post a Comment