Saturday, August 20, 2022

INTERVIEW with CC LIZABETH


I want to than CC Lizabeth for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

CC Lizabeth spent a lot of her childhood daydreaming. Those daydreams later turned into fanfiction fantasies, then worked up to writing short stories and unfinished drafts. 

Later on experimenting with song lyrics, stand-up comedy jokes and song parodies. Eventually trying out writing fan-fiction then transitioned to her own original stories. 

She lives in Western Canada with her husband under the supervision of their majestic rescue dog.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was about 8. I pretty much lived in my head instead of paying attention in class and used ‘journal time’ to write it out.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

The Babysitters Club by Ann M Martin was a big starting influence. I didn’t have a lot of friends so I tried to write this alternate life where I had a club of friends and would write all the fun conversations we’d have. 

Later on, it was R.L. Stein. Then I wrote a few horror short stories that teachers and classmates liked, which gave me some confidence.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not really. I do use names from people I know though. But the character is never based on that person, I just liked their name.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

A couple WIPs were inspired by different random dreams that stuck with me after waking up. 

One WIP was inspired by both a previous job of mine AND John Wick. 

Usually when I meet the main characters, they are in some kind of argument and then I need to figure out why, and why they respond in the way they do.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m a plotter. A lot of previous attempts at writing in my early 20’s failed because I was pantsing and had no sense of direction and would lose interest fast. 

Although even with plotting now, characters have occasionally gotten away from me and gave me grief

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Not really. I’ve had a lot of celebrity muses that were used for inspiration, but they already live rent free in my head so a photo isn’t necessary ha-ha

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

The basics. Warm PJ’s, tea, my dog snoring beside me

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I’ve been reading The Dark Series by Christine Feehan for about 15 years so I’m usually reading her newest in that series when it’s out. 

Lately I’ve been trying out different authors and genres and haven’t found a current favourite. 

 

What are your favorite books by others?

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab became a favourite right off the bat last year! 

Bared To You by Sylvia Day is also a go-to.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not really. Majority of the time I just create my own city.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Both. Depending on the story

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Twitter and Google so far

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes. CC Lizabeth is my pen name. No other one’s… yet

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance. Not sure of the real deep reason for the preference, but after a few years of trying to be cool and reading Dan Brown and Stephen King, it was the first genre I really connected with as a young adult. 

After 10 years I figured I try my hand at writing it too.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’ve worked in the HealthCare industry for about 13 years. 

I first met my husband while belting out Why Don’t You Get a Job by The Offspring at karaoke night at a dive bar and years later, we had a Comic-Con themed wedding at a theatre!

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Honestly, I’m still the aspiring writer who needs all the advice. Actually, now that I think about it, I recently gave my husband (who doesn’t write) some advice when he was telling me about his big idea, but wasn’t sure on big details: 

Write fan-fiction. You don’t need to publish them, just write a few of your favourite fandoms and learn your own style and see what your strengths are, and what you want to work on. 

Then repeat until you feel ready to move onto your own thing.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Haven’t gotten there on my writing journey yet.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing so far. I struggle with making cuts, even when necessary. Or making huge changes because of a plot hole.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet. Clean desk. Breaks.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

My husband


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Sylvia Day. 

Her Crossfire Series is 50% what lit a fire for me to really start my writing journey and I would love to learn from her.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Basically, whenever I’m not working. Although I’ve been slacking on writing/editing the past few months. 

No favourite drinks or snacks, just whatever I happen to be craving.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Nope, I need silence when I write. Otherwise Rock is usually my go to.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

My dog is literally licking my hand as I’m typing this right now.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Hitting a plot hole. Certain amounts of research and realizing I have to make major changes to coincide with the research.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No beta reader complaints in that area yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Either watching a show that I was putting off or reading a book from my TBR pile.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for CC Lizabeth!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/08/author-at-glance-cc-lizabeth.html#more


Connect with CC:

Email:
cc.lizabeth2020@gmail.com

Twitter:

No comments:

Post a Comment