Sunday, August 14, 2022

INTERVIEW with ANDREA HAGAN


I want to thank Andrea Hagan for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Andrea Hagan has been a writer her whole life...she just didn't know it. As a child, she would watch soaps with her mom, and then lie awake at night and come up with dialogue in her head for the characters. She'd get "the look" in church when she was writing angst-filled poetry and song lyrics in the blank corners of the Sunday bulletin. So she did what any good writer does, and that's ignore her calling and get an accounting degree, followed by a law degree. She would like to state for the record that she is a reformed lawyer, emphasis on reformed.

Andrea writes sweet and spicy romance with a side of magic. Fantasy, witchcraft, demonology and angelology, mysticism and the occult, if it goes bump in the night, add a little romance with a HEA, and she's your girl!


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

Always, and so I ignored my calling and got an accounting degree, and then a law degree. 

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 


I've always loved to read. As a kid, my favorite books were the choose your own way books. I've always been a control freak ðŸ˜‚

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 


No.



Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 


I love contemporary romance, pnr, fantasy, mystery. All of those elements are in the Memphis Magic Series. 



Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 


I just fly by the seat of my pants. 



When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 


No. They're in my head, but it's hard to find someone who fits exactly. 



Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 


I love to read by the pool or the beach. 



Who are your favorite current authors to read? 


I'm really on a mafia romance kick at the moment, and I've loved Our Thing by Nicci Harris and Virtuous Lies by Haley Jenner.



What are your favorite books by others? 


Again, on a huge Mafia romance bender at the moment. But some of my all-time favs are ACOTAR, and the Dark Fever Series



Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 


I used to live in Memphis, so yes!



Do you write in single or multiple POV? 


Both



What do you find to be your best research tool? 


You don't want to look at my search history. That is all. 



Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name? 


Nope, I use my real name. 



What genre do you write and why is this your preference?  Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 


I'm a reformed lawyer, emphasis on the reformed.

I love to bake, especially birthday cakes. 

I have webbed toes - two on my right foot. 

I'm a shapeshifting duck. (Not really, but that would be cool). 

I live with my husband and three kids in Tennessee. 

I'm an extroverted introvert, an enneagram 5 with 4 wing. 

I'm big into self-help, including EFT (aka tapping). 



If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process? 


N/A. (But I'm a control freak, and I can't imagine writing with another person)



What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 


Just go for it.

I waited months after finishing books 1-3 before I even thought about publishing. I had some fears to overcome. Published over perfect is my mantra. 



How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 


My book isn't a chocolate chip cookie - not everyone is going to love it, and that's A-Ok. 



What is the most difficult part of your writing process? 


This is what I'm meant to do, and I love it all, even if I hate it in the moment (looking at you, edits)



What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 


Just quiet. I'm pretty laser-focused when I'm in the zone.



What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing? 


I do have sex position websites open on my phone to help visualize the scene I'm writing, lol. 



If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why? 


Colleen Hoover, because from her stuff on social media, she has a wicked sense of humor. 



What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 


Schedule: whenever I can sneak away from the fam and write.

I don't have drinks near my computer. The thought makes me nervous!



Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 


I don't listen to music, I've gotta have silence! But Possession does have a playlist on spotify. 



Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 


Do kids count?



What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game? 


If I've hit a writing wall, I walk away for a few days.

Although many authors advise against it, I read all the reviews. I've quickly learned my book isn't going to be loved by everyone, and that's okay.  



Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 


I can't answer that, as I don't want to reveal any potential spoilers. (I know, I'm no fun)



How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 


Stressing about the next book, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment