Thursday, August 11, 2022

INTERVIEW with JUDE McLEAN

 

I want to thank Jude McLean for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Jude McLean is an American of Irish descent who holds a deep-rooted affinity to Ireland. She can’t be there as much as she would like. With her writing, she can be there as often as she wishes and brings her readers along for the ride. 

When Jude isn’t writing, you can find her in the kitchen creating lavish desserts and meals, all the while happily singing as she waves a wooden spoon. 

She laughs too loud, swears too often, and has been known to eat an entire cake all by herself. But she promises her readers will never go without a laugh, a gasp, maybe a tear or two, and a smile.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

My story isn’t unique. I always wanted to write and had a natural knack for it.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Growing up I read just about anything. I cannot single out any authors or books as an influence. I took it all in. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No. There are snippets of real people but no character is based solely on a single person.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I came up with The O’Brians stories while I was in Ireland. It was almost too easy. There is so much inspiration there not only in the people but in the land.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m a messy writer. No outline, no plot. 

I keep notes whenever something pops into my head and somehow it all comes together in the end. I find outlines and such too regimented.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

My absolute favorite way is to plop my arse in the sand and my feet in the surf. It’s a good thing I don’t live near the sea or I wouldn’t get a damn thing done, ever.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Laila Amlani and Kelly Moran.  

Laila feeds my inner dark side and Kelly warms my cold heart. Their writing is very different from each other but I love both and cannot wait for them to write more.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

My favorites are:

Is it Just Me? by Miranda Hart. (She’s a hoot and a half!)

My Beautiful Dangerous by Laila Amlani

The Redwood Ridge Series by Kelly Moran

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller

The Vera Stanhope Series by Ann Cleeves

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Absolutely they do. The O’Brians is set in Ireland. 

I only use places that I have visited and I strive to pour the beauty of the land onto the page.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple. It’s what comes natural to me.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Being in a place. I went to Ireland as a tourist but I didn’t travel as a tourist. 

Because of that I was treated as a local. I never would have understood the island as I do if I had stuck myself on a bus.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary Romance. 

It leaves the story wide open. I can put just about as much of any element as I like into a Contemporary Romance. I like the flexibility.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Um, yeah, if I repeated this question to my friends they would say that my entire life is quirky! If there is trouble I promise it will find me. That is if I don’t find it first. 

Basic things: While I adore a smooth hot whiskey, my favorite drink is a frozen margarita. 

I have one husband, three cats, and eight chickens. My favorite one is Loud Mouth Kimmy. 

My favorite movie series is Rocky except for Rocky Five. That was a travesty. 

I can make gorgeous cakes like you see in the tv competitions. 

And if there is a voice louder in a room than everyone else’s you can bet it’s mine. I swear too much and laugh too loud and couldn’t care less who doesn’t like it.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Sit your ass down and write. Stop talking and thinking about it and just do it. You don’t need permission!

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I just shrug my shoulders and keep moving forward. 

A few weeks ago I got a review that said Escape was the worst book they had read all year. 

The following day another review said Escape was their favorite book of the year and that I’m their new favorite author. 

Rocky says “I ain’t about how hard you can hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” 

The bottom line is I can’t please everyone. If someone doesn’t like my books then they don’t have to read them. End of story.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Writing is the easy part. It’s the marketing that’s a killer. 

I get bogged down and stressed out and that is not conducive to writing. I have to constantly battle with keeping a balance.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Although she isn’t just an author, I would love to spend a day with Miranda Hart. I think she’s a natural laugh riot.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I find music therapeutic. Usually it will be Oldies, boy bands, Jimmy Buffet, or Pavarotti. The boy bands are a guilty pleasure I refuse to give up.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

My cat, Twister. He’s so cute and if he wants snuggles with momma well there’s no telling him no.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I haven’t celebrated yet. Ask me again when the trilogy is finished.

 

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Jude McLean!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/08/author-at-glance-jude-mclean.html


Make sure to give Jude McLean a shout out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect with Jude:

Email:
jude@judemclean.com

Website:
www.judemclean.com

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Jude-McLean/e/B094YTB3FW

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21458345.Jude_McLean

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jude-mclean

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/readjudemclean

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/readjudemclean/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/readjudemclean

Newsletter Sign-Up:
www.judemclean.com


No comments:

Post a Comment