Monday, August 8, 2022

INTERVIEW with L.A. McGINNIS

 

I want to thank L.A. McGinnis for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Fueled by black coffee, ice cream and bad nineties music, L.A. McGinnis spends her days writing best-selling steamy fantasies filled with damaged heroes who long to be loved, and smart, authentic heroines. 

A life-long fascination with storytelling inspired her to weave these contemporary tales of legendary fated mates where the princess never needs rescuing, but sometimes the hero does.  

 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always been interested in storytelling, but didn’t find time to write until 2007.  I’ve been writing seriously since 2016.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

I always loved romance novels.  I think the first book that really caught my attention was Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

Not specifically, but they all have pieces of real-life people in them.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I usually mash up a trope I like with some movies I’ve seen, and a character that I’ve been wanting to write for a while.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I used to be a pantser, but the more complicated the plotlines become, the more I’ve been plotting the books out by chapter.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

I usually set up a Pinterest page, it helps me keep the characters straight in my head.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

I’ve been reading a lot of craft books lately, but I’d love to find some time to just read a good fantasy book this summer.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Sarah J Maas, Cate Corvin, Alex Lidell and JR Ward

 

What are your favorite books by others?

I just finished Crescent City and am reading House of Sky and Breath, both have great worldbuilding and wonderful characters.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I always try to take a trip to the city where my book is set, just to be sure I have the setting correct.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google 😊

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name? 

I do, L.A. McGinnis

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I’ve finally settled on reverse harem, after writing PNR and UF for the past 5 years. 

I like the tension you can build between multiple characters, and the stakes get higher when there is more to lose.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m a full-time artist - I make lampwork beads using a torch and a kiln.  

[Note from Reading by Deb - I find this very interesting as a fellow jewelry artist.  I have taken lampworking workshops and it takes not only a lot of talent but it puts tremendous strain on your wrists.  I highly respect lampwork artists.]

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

To keep writing. It sounds so trite, but I think all the time of all those books people gave up on that are probably great, but will never see the light of day. 

It’s hard to find success in writing, but if you give up, then you have a 100% chance of not making a career of this.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I just got one today! 

First, I look up the reviewer to see if they only post negative reviews (usually this is the case). 

If they have balanced reviews, then I look to see if they were “my reader”. If they read, for example, clean romance, then I don’t put too much stock into that one star- they picked up the wrong book. 

If they do read in my genre, then I take that review seriously and see if there is anything I can learn from it.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The first round of editing that takes so long it seems like you’re not making any progress.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I try to keep it pretty clean, but I do have a board that I move sticky notes around so I can at least pretend I’m getting something done!

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Food, especially sweets.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I’d love to see how Nora Roberts works, she’s been at this for a long time, and it would be interesting to see how she structures her writing time.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 

I try to write for at least 3-4 hours at a stretch, and all the coffee, all the time!

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I don’t, I need quiet.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No, but my dog used to sleep in my office while I was writing.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Interruptions.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet 😊

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I dive into first-round edits.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for L.A. McGinnis!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/08/author-at-glance-la-mcginnis.html#more


Make sure to give L.A. McGinnis a shout out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect with L.A. McGinnis:

Email:
contact@lamcginnis.com

Website: :
https://lamcginnis.com/

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/L-A-McGinnis/e/B075MJZVSJ/

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/17203830.L_A_McGinnis

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/l-a-mcginnis

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/LAMcGinnisRomance

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/lamcginnisauthor/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/LAMcGinnis1520

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://lamcginnis.com/l-a-mcginnis-vip-newsletter/

 

1 comment: