Friday, June 24, 2022

INTERVIEW with AMBER CROSS

 


I would like to thank Amber Cross for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Amber Cross was raised on a family farm in New England, one of a dozen siblings, each one inspiring her writing in some way. She still lives in that same small town with her husband and the youngest of their five children. 

She loves spending time in the woods, in the water, and watching people because every one of them has a unique and fascinating story to tell.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was ten years old and learned to put my thoughts down on paper as whole paragraphs.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

E. B. White, Laura Ingalls Wilder

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No, though they sometimes have characteristics of people I know.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere. Inspiration can be from something as simple as observing an interaction between a waitress and a table of diners to hearing about someone’s experiences in a place, relationship, or time.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a clue, but it may only be who the main character is and what they want from life.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No. I have a picture in my mind, and later (maybe 1/3 or ½ way through the book) I’ll look for someone who matches that picture.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading or binge-watching television.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Linda Howard, Sophie Lark, Jane Porter, Sandra Brown, Nevada Barr, Dana Stabenow

 

What are your favorite books by others?

How much space do I have to answer? My all-time favorite is A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. 

Others are Mackenzie’s Pleasure by Linda Howard, The Simple Wild series by K.A. Tucker, Honor Bound by Sandra Brown, The Bride by Julie Garwood, the Crash trilogy by Drew Jordan, Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, A Superior Death by Nevada Barr, Blood Will Tell by Dana Stabenow, Heavy Crown by Sophie Lark.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I like wild, remote, and rural places, so those are usually my settings.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual POV.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

I use a combination of online research and visiting sites.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under Amber Cross. I have used another but in a different genre.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary romance, probably because I like to read it.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I am one of a dozen siblings, and in terms of birth order, I can claim all three spots-oldest, middle, and youngest. That’s probably why I’m eclectic!

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t quit. Just keep going, keep learning, accept feedback.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

There’s not much I can do about them. Some are stupid-you know, they obviously picked up your book even though it’s not “their genre” or you can tell they didn’t really read it. With others, it just wasn’t their thing. I don’t know why people bother leaving a review in these situations, because I’d have to really hate someone’s work to waste my team leaving a negative review, but I can’t control others.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

About 2/3 of the way through work, I usually start writing pieces-you know, scenes that are ahead of where I am, descriptions or dialogue I don’t want to forget. Piecing those things together is incredibly messy.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t really have one.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Probably Linda Howard because her characters are so realistic, her females are always strong without being unbelievable, her men are macho without being jerks.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I don’t have a schedule. I have to grab time when I can get it around my full-time job. No favorite snack or drink.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes, if it sets a mood for the work. For instance, I’m finishing edits on an upmarket crossover novel and I’ve listened to the same Bob Seger song for about twelve months now, almost daily, to keep me in that same head space.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yes, I have dogs who howl at every car that pulls in, stops at the bottom of the drive, or makes a delivery. I often have to kick them out of the room and shut the door on them.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Losing time. If it has been two or three weeks since I was able to last write, it throws me off and I get in a funk.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I read a book by someone else!

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Amber Cross!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-amber-cross.html#more


Make sure to give Amber Cross a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Amber:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:


No comments:

Post a Comment