Thursday, June 16, 2022

INTERVIEW with DL HOWE

 

I want to thank DL Howe for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Born and raised in Kansas City, Kansas. The proud mother of an amazing son and two crazy cats.

When Im not reading and writing Im working with kids with mental health.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I had this amazing English teacher in high school named Ms. Marcy. She pushed me to write what I loved, back then it was poetry/song lyrics. 

Throughout the years that evolved into screenplays, short stories and eventually full fledged novels. My mom was a big influencer as well, she would read every awful thing I wrote and praise me for it, even when I begged for criticism. 

Be careful what you wish for, lol. Even though she never could, others were more than willing. At first that’s difficult to take but eventually you learn from it, get better and appreciate it.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

The first author to really suck me in was VC Andrew’s at 12. She proved that there were no limitations. That if you wanted to write about it, nobody was stopping you but yourself.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Absolutely. I slip in myself, friends and family. 

The most blatant was writing a book about my first crush who is also my brother’s best friend. The entire book is loosely based on his life and the fantasy that he ended up with me.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Both everywhere and no where. 

I’m pretty good at coming up with ideas, I have a ton on my Pinterest board, most I’m sure will never see the light of day. 

The most interesting was based on a dream I had that I was being whipped by a drag queen. I actually wrote that book, which was so crazy but a hoot to write.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I learned through trial and error that in order to complete a story I need a chapter by chapter outline. I may veer off course at times but I always find my way back to the original plan.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Is it cheating? Hmm I’m not sure, but since I make my own edits for promotions, I do find models to represent each character. It’s nice when they can match, plus it’s a bit easier to describe that character when you have a real person to base them on. I suppose that might be cheating.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

It’s all books, all the time. If given the option I would only read and write. 

I enjoy every step; taking notes as I read, writing honest reviews and making edits for my review page on Instagram.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I’m mostly influenced by K Webster & Jade West. 

My fave new authors this year have been Cora Rose, Onley James, Emmy Sanders, Lily White, Sara Cate & CP Harris.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

So far this year my top reads are; Built to Fall by Julia Wolf, Milo by Lily Morton, The Heir Apparent’s Rejected Mate by Cate C Wells, Bad Wrong Things by CP Harris and You & Me by Tal Bauer.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

All of my stories take place in Kansas City. 

Which stems from both home town pride and that old saying; write what you know.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple. One time I wrote in single POV because I felt that the hero wore his heart on his sleeve and honestly didn’t need his inner monologue. 

Although he had an epilogue. All the other characters are too loud and pushy, at times there’s several POV’s.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

God bless the internet. I know you can’t believe everything you read in the internet but I try to use multiple sources to make sure I get it right.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under my initials. I’m not even sure why I started using my initials, it started over a decade ago when I was a song writer. I suppose it just stuck.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance, all types of tropes from contemporary to suspense to MM to erotica. 

It’s been a point of contention for several members of my family because apparently it’s not respectable. Fortunately I have a mind of my own and it’s what I love. 

The world can be an ugly place so why not lose yourself in something beautiful.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have a trans son who is 9. Back when he was two he started saying that he wanted to be a boy. It’s been both crazy and a joy to watch and help him evolve into the person he’s supposed to be. It hasn’t always been easy, not something I initially understood but I adore that kid and there’s no possible way that I couldn’t support him.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Simple. Just write. Don’t worry about anyone but yourself. Be your own worst and best critic. 

No matter what don’t give up. Also, take all the advice you can get.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Take what you can learn from and forget the rest. 

You can’t please everyone all the time but you can improve. You never stop learning. Anyone can be a teacher.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Ugh, promoting. I’m introverted at heart so I have to push myself to ask people to read my books. I hate being pushy or begging, it’s certainly something I need to improve. One of many things but that most of all.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I’m pretty flexible, I can write anywhere as long as it’s quiet. I always write on my phone and edit on my laptop.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Haha, the writing is the naughty indulgence. I have no shame, at least while I’m hiding behind a book.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

K Webster. 

The obvious because I want to pick her brain but also because she seems fun. Plus she’s so good at self promotion, I’m sure I’d learn a thing or two.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I’m pretty lax, I try to stay at least a book or two ahead of schedule so I don’t have to rush. Coffee is typically the only thing on the menu.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

It depends on the book. I’m a punk rock girl but I love all kinds from old school hip hop, the occasional country tune to certain pop songs. 

My faves are Rise Against, Bright Eyes, Bruno Mars and Leon Bridges.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Mmm not really but if I’m reading in bed, my cat Angus will almost always lay on my tablet. Pay attention to me, bedtime is for snuggling.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

I’m not sure. I enjoy dark romance/horror, because of this some of my writing has become darker. And sometimes I fall down that rabbit hole and it’s a real downer when you become too absorbed. 

Last month I finished writing about a serial killer and knew I had to step back. To write nothing but fluff and smut for a while.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Muahaha!!! Oh yes, several times. In my mind these characters were born to die, unfortunately some readers don’t see it that way. 

I’ve had comments where my readers thought those characters would get their own story. Whoops!

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Begin editing! Joy!!! 🤣

 

 I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for DL Howe!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-dl-howe.html


Make sure to give DL Howe a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

CONNECT WITH DL HOWE:

Email:
dhowe01@yahoo.com

Website:

Facebook:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

Instagram:

Tiktok:

Pinterest:


No comments:

Post a Comment