Sunday, June 19, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - EARTH'S BOUNTY Series by Deysi O'Donal

 


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Earth's Bounty Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Deysi O'Donal's Earth's Bounty Series!


SYNOPSIS:

This series follows a group of women who have been abducted by nefarious aliens and the alien bounty hunters who’s mission it is to save them. Each book focuses on a couple that comes together and finds love.

In Igid’s case, she is one of the bounty hunters who finds her mate in a human hybrid while trying to find the abducted humans.

 


What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Some of the tropes for Igid’s Bounty are reverse age gap. Alien female/human male. Heat cycle.

Igid was a strong side character from the start, so it didn’t take me long to realize that she needed her own book and HEA.

 

Are you more character or plot driven?

I think I write more character driven books.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I am the most unorganized person alive. So I literally have a reference list that I use and add to with each new book.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Igid had a very strong voice from the start! She’s funny and doesn’t hold back and I loved her immediately! 

What I didn’t see coming was her back story, and just how tragic it was and what she had to endure in order to find her happiness.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

I met my husband in high school and we’ve been married for 22 years, so we very much grew up together and have a really solid relationship. I think there is a least a little bit of him in all my male characters. Good and bad.

Mostly, the characters come to me on their own.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

Not on purpose.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

Bela’s Bounty, the second book in my series was a struggle. Bela especially didn’t really want to talk to me or follow the outline. It was like herding cats some days, trying to figure her out. 

Luckily, the chemistry she had with her hero saved the day and together those two are HOT!

 

What is your favorite book in the series?

Anna’s Bounty is probably my favorite, because it’s first and the story just flowed so well.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I really do love them all, but Igid is my favorite.  

She’s funny and takes no one’s crap. Speaks her mind and tells you exactly what she thinks without worrying about hurt feelings. I wish I could be more like her in real life.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Honestly I love all my couples and I don’t think I can choose a favorite.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

The characters find that all on their own. I’m just along for the ride.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

At the very beginning of Anna’s Bounty, I wrote a scene just after Anna is abducted that I literally pulled from my worst nightmares. 

That scene still gives me chills when I think of it.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

Anna’s Bounty wrote itself very quickly, so when it came to write the second one I was surprised when I really struggled. Bela’s book was definitely the hardest one to write.

However I ended up with some health issues in the middle of writing Igid’s Book. I developed very fast growing, early onset cataracts and had surgery to correct them which flared up my chronic migraines. So for about 2 months I was just a mess and couldn’t read or write anything.

Once I got that taken care of, everything slid back into place and I was able to finish writing not only Igid’s book but two novella’s for anthologies coming out later this year and early next.  

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

I have another series in the works that will be paranormal romance that is in third person limited and deals with several POVs.  But that’s still a year or so out.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

It takes me about six weeks to draft a book, depending on how much time I get to work on it. 

I work full time Monday-Friday so most of my writing happens on the weekends. I try to publish every 3-6 months, but it depends on my schedule and how things are flowing.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

The titles started out as kind of a joke with one of my friends. So I plugged it in as a placeholder, but then it grew on me. It’s certainly made naming all the books in this series easy. 

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

I think so. After all, there is a little bit of me in all of them.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

Not at all. I’ve been wanting to publish for years but I never thought I was ready to jump in and do it. At the time I was reading a lot of sci-fi romance books, and ARC reading for authors in this genre, so I thought I’d try my hand at it. I thought it would be an easy niche genre to get my feet wet in.

Anna’s Bounty did so much better than I ever expected. This helped give me the confidence I needed to write more and keep going.   

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Hmmm…. That’s a good question.

I’ve always thought Karl Urban would be a good Rovos. Tom Hiddleston for Treto. And Igid would have to be Zoe Saldana.

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

I have lots! I’ll have a stand-alone novella in a Christmas anthology coming out in November. I’m also working on book four which focuses on Volethos, who has been our villain up until now and his HEA.

What I’m really excited about is the Alien’s on Earth anthology that is coming out next May! All proceeds are going to St. Judes and my entry will be…. Sasha’s Bounties. Sasha is one of the women abducted and we’ll finally find out what happened to her after she was sold to a group of raiders, and then rescued by two bounty hunter clones. 

You can pre-order Alien’s on Earth now for just 99¢ books2read.com/aliensonearth

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Deysi O'Donal!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-deysi-odonal.html


BIO:

Deysi is married to her high school sweetheart and the love of her life. Living her happily-ever-after with two amazing kids, three cats, and a neurotic border collie.

She has been penning stories since she could hold a pencil and spends most days working as a vampire and her nights playing with the imaginary friends that live in her head. On the off chance she’s not writing, or stabbing people with needles, she probably has her nose in a book. Something particularly vexing to her co-workers and family.

She enjoys loud music, sunny afternoons, and leisurely trips through social media.

 

CONNECT WITH DEYSI:

Email:
deysiodonal@gmail.com     

Website:
www.deysiodonal.net

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B097LX1GKQ

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21161611.Deysi_O_Donal

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/deysi-o-donal

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/deysi.odonal/

Facebook Group:
Deysi’s Delinquents

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/deysiwritergirl/

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://deysiodonal.eo.page/1zqgz


 


Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Turns out human DNA is spread all across the universe, but actual humans are believed to be extinct. That is, until I’m randomly picked up by a passing slave ship.

As if being abducted by aliens isn’t terrifying enough, now I’m about to be sold to a space brothel. I figure things can’t get much worse, until the ship I’m on is attacked by alien bounty hunters.

Sparks start to fly when I meet Rovos, the gorgeous leader who promises to take me back to Earth. Only, I don’t know where Earth is and the aliens who kidnapped me aren’t talking.

Despite our growing attraction, Rovos is determined to keep me at arms length. He knows the danger of his trade. The heartache it brings. So he vows to find me somewhere safe.

Even if it guts him to let me go.

Even if I beg him to let me stay.





Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

The secret that humans still exist in the universe is out, and that makes the women of earth dangerously desirable.

Thanks to a botched translator implant, I’m near death when the aliens who abducted me sell me to the famed pleasure station, Lux. Where my first customer is a lizard-man with red scales, kind eyes, and a quiet nature.

It turns out, Treto isn’t here to use me, but to save me. He’s a bounty hunter who specializes in rescuing trafficked aliens, and he has been following me from Earth. He’s desperate to free me, but his back-up is delayed and the longer I’m trapped at the pleasure station, the more likely I am to be given to another alien. One that might not be as gentle as my savior.

I’m afraid it’s going to take more than one determined bounty hunter to extricate me from madame Athea’s clutches. Will she sell me for a dangerous night with a stranger or will backup come in time to get us out of the mess we’re in.





Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

A newly found cache of human females is being sought throughout the universe—and now it’s up to my crew to protect them.

Born in a slum of a brothel to an indentured mother, I’ve endured unspeakable things, but now, I am a badass bounty huntress. I’ve buried my past and with it, any desire for mates or kits. Those things were never meant for me anyway.

Tasked with locating the human women recently sold at an illegal auction, the last thing I need is for my heat suppressants to fail mid-mission. Thanks to my Niveron biology, I’m unexpectedly thrown into a heat unlike any I’ve ever experienced, and the only male who can help? Brox, the one person who can get under my skin, the one I’ve sworn not to get close to.

Now I have two choices; accept Brox’s help, or let my dark past send me fleeing from the one male who might be my future.



No comments:

Post a Comment