Monday, June 20, 2022

INTERVIEW with ANNEKE BOSHOFF

 

I want to thank Anneke Boshoff for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

A mom of 3 Rascals. I am the typical Rugby and Netball mom that makes sure her kids hears her next to field.

It’s that same passion that I put into my books. I want to share my imagination with all the readers. Seeing my characters come to life is a dream come true. The excitement that the readers show me when they read my books fuel me to do more.

 

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have always had this wild imagination and just picturing stories in my head. It was all just in my head until a few years back when friends of mine encouraged me to start writing. Once I started I couldn’t stop. 

Seeing my story come to life was mesmerizing. I kept going and creating.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

No, unfortunately not.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes. Some of them are. 

In my mafia series there is one character that is based on myself.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Music, News and Movies. 

Sometimes while driving a song will come up and as it goes on a story would just pop into my head. Fill Them Boots is one of those stories. That song has been my favorite for a while, and the story just happened.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

*This made me laugh* 

I have the idea and whole story mapped out and as soon as I start to write the story, my characters will just decide, ‘Nope, I don’t want this’ and they will change whatever I have planned to fit them. My books never goes as planned.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes. When I picture my characters I normally look for someone that would represent them.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

My favorite would be to just put on music and dance for a bit. It’s relaxing and gives me the feel good feeling. 

If the music and dancing is not possible, a good book or a hallmark movie will do the thing. I love hallmark Christmas movies.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Melony Ann, Darley Collins, Kindra White, Sandy Author, Elizabeth Aton, Ayana Lisbet

 

What are your favorite books by others?

I have so many.

Dangerously Forbidden Love by Melony Ann. (Actually anything by her)

Mason The Remington Ranch by SJ McCoy

The Dark King by R.G Angel

Crushed the World by Ayana Lisbet

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

None that has been released so far no. 

In my Mafia series they do go to Cape Town South Africa, and I love Cape Town. It’s such a beautiful place.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write Multiple. Sometimes I need to show what the others do to make the story better. I try to stick with the two main characters, but it is not always possible.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google is one of them. My search history might make me look like a serial killer or something worse.

I have also found that reading a variety of books, sometimes helps me find something I didn’t even know I was looking for.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No, I write under my real name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance Suspense. 

I love the suspense and action but I also love a happily ever after and a great love story. I have tried to write just romance, but it always ends up with suspense.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have 3 little rascals that I have created and would do anything for. 

I am a Lifestyle, Model, Wedding and wildlife photographer. It’s another passion of mine being there to help families and couples capture memories.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Follow your heart and just do it. Write as much as you want. 

One thing I always say is write what you want. Don’t change your story to please others. Keep it the way you want it.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I try to learn from them. I do feel unsure if I am doing the right thing when I get some negative review, then I talk to my friends. They are my lifeline and I know they will be honest with me. They reassure me and if there is something that I should change they will help me make it better.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Writing steamy scenes. That’s my most difficult part. 

The plot and story is easy. The characters and even them interfering is doable. 

But the steamy scene. It takes me hours, sometimes days to write it.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

My blanket, coffee and my music.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Coffee, Wine and gummy bears. I can’t write without coffee and gummy bears.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I think it would have to be Melony Ann or Ayana. I have talked to them so much but would love to just have a coffee with them.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I make sure to write during the day. When the kids are in school. It’s normally from 8am to about 2pm. If I am on a deadline and have more to do then I will write after they go to bed.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes, I listen to all kinds of music. Country and pop would have to be my favorite.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yes. My dog once actually deleted a whole chapter trying to get to my hand just so I would pet him.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

The lack of support. I would be excited about something and then not get the same excitement when I talk about it.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes. In my last book, Assassin’s Girl, I killed off a character and people felt that it wasn’t necessary. 

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I watch a movie with the kids and sleep in the next day.

 

 I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Anneke Boshoff!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-in-glance-anneke-boshoff.html#more


Make sure to give Anneke a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Anneke:

Email:
annekeboshoff90@gmail.com

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/47G7peN

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21001359.Anneke_Boshoff

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/anneke.boshoff

Instagram:
https://instagram.com/boshoff.anneke

TikTok:
https://tiktok.com/@annekeboshoff665


1 comment: