Thursday, June 16, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - RAINER SERIES by Darlene Rodriguez

 

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
RAINER Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Darlene Rodriguez's Rainer Series!


SYNOPSIS:

Nathan James is trying to keep his business and personal life separate, but when he’s assigned to protect his client's daughter, he struggles to keep that line intact. 

Each book in the Rainer series focuses on a different brother and their struggles of letting someone in and opening themselves up to love.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

The sub-genre is Contemporary Romance. Bodyguard, slow burn, a dash of forced proximity, and a sprinkle of enemies and lovers. 

The characters led me to the tropes I want to say the genre was already decided.


Are you more character or plot driven?

I am more character-driven, but Reckless Sin is a mix of both.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

They have distinct voices in my mind. 

I do have a story/vision board tucked away on Pinterest, but for the most part; they have different mannerisms so it’s easy for me to tell them apart.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Nathan. The main character. His personality skyrocketed. I let him do what he wanted, and he did. 

Then there was the side character, Bunny. She had some dialogue that I was not expecting.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

The male POVs are heavily based on the men in my life as well as myself. I took parts of everyone and created the characters.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

Most of the female POVs are not based on anyone. The only one I’d say had some influence was the grandmother. I based her on the women in my life, mainly my sisters and my mom.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

The sex scene in Reckless Sin. For whatever reason, this was the hardest for me to write. I don’t know if it was the characters or me overthinking it, but that one was the hardest.

 

What is your favorite book in the series?

I’ve only come out with one book in this series so far, and I might change my answer every time. But the one I’m currently writing is a favorite. 

I said that when I was writing Reckless Sin too, so yeah. It could change.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

This is super hard. They are all my favorite for different reasons. 

I guess I’d have to say, Nathan. He’s all carefree on the outside but on the inside, when you see things through his eyes, you can tell he really cares and makes sure that nothing happens to the people he loves.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamic?

Can’t answer this yet.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

I go through character development sheets. So I figure out their wants and needs. Then I think about who both the characters are. 

This entire series is all about new beginnings. So with Reckless Sin, the story ending with an ‘I want more of these, us together’ kind of conversation was perfect for the type of laid-back character Nathan is.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

Their meet-cute. The first time after the prologue where they are meeting each other for the second time. I find it funny. 

This guy is fuming because he went to pick her up from the airport, and got stuck in traffic just to find out she’s been home, so he’s stalking up the steps and barges into her room ready to cuss her out but can’t because she’s in nothing but a towel on so he forgets all about it.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

Yes. But I’ll get to that another time.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

It took me a month to write Reckless Sin because I did it for NANOWRIMO 2020.

The series, I’ve been working on for 5 years. I wrote the two last books first because originally they were going to be first, but then Reckless Sin happened and fucked all that up.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

Reckless – because Nathan can be careless. Sin– because he’s not supposed to want his boss’s daughter. It’s a careless, immoral act.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

Yes, to a certain degree.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

Character’s demanded their own story. 

I first wrote book 4 and book 3 around the same time. I decided oh, maybe I should merge them into the same universe. 

Then, book 3 was originally book 1, book 4 was book 2. 

Then Nathan who was in book 3 was like: I need my own story and it blends into both books so push book 2 to book 3. 

THEN, Nathan’s book had a twist which led to what is now book 2 and yeah… you get the idea.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

So when I first pick and choose face claims, I did actors and actresses/models.

Chris Wood as Nathan James 

Barbara Palvin as Karina Vasiliev 

Theo James as Adam Prince 

Daniel Gillies as Mr. Vasiliev 

Tom Hardy as Matthews 

Jessica Lange as Nana Lisa

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

The next book in the series is Cole’s story. He’s Nathan’s older brother. 

In his book, we see him trying to move on from his past relationship. The tropes for this book are slow-burn, love triangle, and opposites attract. 

After him will probably be Daniel, the youngest brother. His book has a fake-dating trope. 

The last book will be Sebastien, the adopted son of their grandmother, but they all consider him a brother. He’s… a troublemaker and it’ll be a love-hate trope. 

I have plans for a spin-off series after this, which will be about the children shown throughout the Rainer series.

 Small tease of Irresistible Desire Book 2 of the Rainer Series:

"My brother used to steal cars for a living. Among other illegal things."

And now she knew how to get into mine. "Oh, nice and you steal cars too?"

She shook her head. "No, just help cute strangers get into one."

Funny, she thought I was cute. Though I could say the same about her. Not only was she pretty, but charming.

Her eyes shifted over to my hand and it was only then that I noticed the position we were in. Her, trapped between me and the car.

Our eyes met back up after a second. I looked into hers, trying to read what was on her mind. I sure as hell wasn't going to do anything, and I didn't mean to put us in this predicament. Then again, she was the one who wiggled her way in.

 

Bio:

Darlene is from Chelsea, Massachusetts. You can find her writing, daydreaming, reading, procrastinating, or singing her heart out. When she’s not working, she’s editing or thinking about writing. If not, she’s learning more about the craft of writing or graphic design.

She first put pen to paper at thirteen to express her thoughts, feelings, and wild imagination. Since then, writing has become her passion.  Fear may have held her back from pursuing an author career at a young age, but that hasn't stopped her from achieving her goals.

 

 Check out all my interviews & reviews for Darline Rodriguez!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-darlene-rodriguez.html


CONNECT WITH DARLENE:

Email:
darlenerwrites@gmail.com

Website:
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Darlene-Rodriguez/e/B08M8X9GJD

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/darlenerwrites

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/darlenerwrites

Facebook Group:
Darlene's Lovelies

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/darlenerwrites

Twitter:
https://www.twitter.com/darlenerwrites

Newsletter Signup:
https://www.subscribepage.com/dar


 


Get your copy today!
Read for FREE with Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Karina Vasiliev had it all—until someone tried to abduct her, putting her father on high alert and forcing her to move back home to Boston. She knew her father had hired protection. What she hadn’t expected was the infuriatingly sexy Nathan James.

No one says no to the Vasiliev family—which is how Nathan gets stuck babysitting the wealthy hotelier’s daughter.

Being a bodyguard to the world’s elite requires unwavering focus and dedication. And that leaves no room for the temptation that comes with looking after the fiery Russian heiress.

But when boundaries are tested and emotions are on the line, Nathan must make a decision.

Can he keep Karina safe? Or will their forbidden attraction put her life in jeopardy?


No comments:

Post a Comment