Wednesday, June 29, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - CHARM CITY THREADS Series by Stephania Thompson


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Charm City Threads

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Stephania Thompson's Charm City Threads Series!


SYNOPSIS:

Bound by a devastating secret, childhood friends David, Josh, and Kate take on home renovation as a means of healing from a dark, shared past. Their only promise? Friendship first—no hookups.

Only several months after moving into their Baltimore fixer, the aptly nicknamed Canton Catastrophe, walls are crumbling, sparks are flying, and promises are getting ignored. Josh, a paramedic, is plagued with panic attacks, haunted by the past, and sharing a room with David, who he is definitely not attracted to. And then there's Kate. She's having a job crisis, popping pills, and pretending she doesn’t notice how distant the boys have grown. And David? The eternally calm, blue-eyed beauty’s health is deteriorating and he’s mysteriously blacking out.

But when they learn someone may have discovered their darkest secret and is now stalking them--and blackmailing Josh's father, a conservative media personality with secrets of his own, renovation and relationship woes take a back seat. Suddenly, their past is unraveling, and the shocking truths unearthed will have them questioning everything from family ties and friendships to love, loss, and the lengths they’re willing to go for each other.

The books following Woven in the Charm City Threads series will feature a continuation of David, Josh, and Kate’s story as well as explore several stories of friends they meet along the way.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Woven is a contemporary romantic suspense, and I’d describe the trope as soulmates in a non-traditional love triangle. While I did set out to write a romance, the characters definitely shaped the subgenre.

 

Are you more character or plot driven?

Character driven. I tend to be that way with reading, too. I’ll read any genre if I find the characters engaging.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your Workspace?

I thought a lot about David, Josh, and Kate before writing their story. Enough that they took on real personas in my mind. Writing for them felt like internal conversation. 

Writing for the secondary characters was more challenging because I didn’t know them as well, and I did, on occasion, have to remind myself of certain traits/attributes etc. 

As for story/vision boards, I use Pinterest. The majority of Woven was written in parking lots, ball fields, hospital rooms, coffee shops, grocery stores…you get the picture. I needed mobile vision boards :)

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Absolutely. Woven is not the story I set out to write. It is David, Josh, and Kate’s story, no question. Many times I’d be typing, writing out their dialogue while internally, I’m like, come on guys, are we really doing this? 

But as you get to know your characters, writing what YOU want them to say or do begins to feel inorganic. Eventually, you just learn to roll with it and trust the process.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

Not specifically. There are, however, certain traits/sayings/mannerisms I pulled from the men in my life.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

It’s hard, not infusing pieces of yourself into your characters. Kate’s steady stream of internal dialogue, her awkward bluntness, her indecisive nature…might be a little of me leaking through. But she is not based on me, or anyone else I know. All the characters are an amalgamation of people I’ve observed.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

David was the hardest to write because, as a character, he tends to be the most guarded. His thoughts are not an open book like Josh and Kate. Also, his chapters have more flashbacks than the other two. 

As for the toughest scenes? Probably the times they get physically intimate because, weirdly, I feel like I’m violating their privacy.

 

What is your favorite book in the series? 

I may change my position on this, but I think Woven will always be my favorite. 

David, Josh, Kate and I learned a lot together. I doubt I will ever know my future characters as well as I know them.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

It feels like a betrayal to admit this, but if I have to pick a favorite, it’s Josh. 

I love his protective nature, his tender gruffness, the way his emotions bubble just beneath the surface, his humor…so many things. He is also the only character I see (appearance wise) with complete clarity.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

That’s a tough one. I’m getting to know a number of characters in this series, and there are things about each of them and their relationships that I love. 

Come back to me in a few books and I’ll have better clarity on this answer :)

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

So, I’m going to make a not-so-popular admission here–I’m not a huge fan of happily ever after. I like a good happy ending, don’t get me wrong, but I want reality, too. 

One of my goals with Woven was to write characters so real people would want to meet them. Would think about them long after finishing the book. 

Tying everything up with a neat little bow didn’t feel real to me or true to them. So, while David, Josh, and Kate find a (hopefully) satisfying ending in Woven, I would categorize it more as HFN…as in, Hopeful For Now :)

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? Why?

Gosh, there are so many…it’s hard to pick just one. I guess Kate’s April Fool’s prank on the boys. That scene was fun to write, and hopefully readers will find it fun to read. 

I actually tried her prank out on my family, and it was epic! 

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

I suspect I will come back and say Woven was the hardest to write because it was my first, but that might just be hopeful thinking :)

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline? 

I LOVE multiple POV books, especially those written in first person. When executed well, I find this style of writing draws me in like no other. So, yes, it is my intention for every book in the series to be multiple POV.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

I started off slow, honestly, writing short stories and little vignettes about their lives. Once I got serious, I think it took me about a year, but the entire process from conception to completion was closer to three years.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and (if applicable) series?

The series title, Charm City Threads, came to me when I first began writing Woven.  Baltimore can be a pretty small town, I liked the idea of exploring a thread of characters woven together by fate or chance or just plain luck. 

As for the title, Woven? That was not my original title and I owe all the credit to my publisher, Arielle, for suggesting it :)

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

I sure hope so! I can’t picture David, Josh, or Kate not getting along with anyone. When I’m in the city, I half expect to run into them, lol.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

In the beginning, I liked David, Josh, and Kate so much it saddened me to think of only spending one book with them. So, I knew from the start their story would span several books. 

Then a few other characters cropped up and I enjoyed their company, too. For me, I have to really like the characters to want to invest time in them. While I applaud authors who write books, or even series, with characters they find offensive, I’m not sure I’d execute that well.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Let’s just say I have the entire cast of Woven selected…but…I’d rather not say because I want people to see the characters in their own minds when they read. If I give away my vision, it takes away from the reader’s experience. 

Once I get the movie deal? Then we’ll talk :)

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease?

I currently have five books planned for the series. As for the second book? Let’s just say we haven’t heard the last of Nick, and someone’s ex comes back to Baltimore and stirs things up.

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Stephania Thompson!



BIO:

Stephania Thompson is the author of Woven (Orange Blossom Publishing 2022). As a poet and multi-genre author, her work has appeared in a variety of online publications as well as several print anthologies. 

Formerly a CPA in the corporate world, Stephania now writes from the comfort of a modern-day crumbling castle alongside her very own knight in shining armor. Together they have four valiant offspring, a brave aussiedoodle, and one not-so-fire-breathing dragon.

When not writing, working, or waiting in a carpool line, she can be found running local trails and escaping in a book at her favorite cafĂ©, iced latte in hand. She is a sucker for quirky romance, is addicted to audiobooks, and finds herself hopelessly drawn to flawed characters, raw honesty, and life’s cringiest moments. Learn more at www.stephaniathompson.com and find her on Twitter @stephthmpsn and Instagram @stephtwrites.

Connect w/ Stephania:

Email:

Website:

Linktree:

Facebook:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:

Medium:

Tik Tok:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:

Woven Book trailer:

Woven Preorder (signed copy):



Get WOVEN today!

BLURB:

Bound by a devastating secret, childhood friends David, Josh, and Kate take on home renovation as a means of healing from a dark, shared past.

Their only promise? Friendship first—no hookups.

Only several months after moving into their Baltimore fixer, the aptly nicknamed Canton Catastrophe, walls are crumbling, sparks are flying, and promises are getting ignored.

Josh, a paramedic, is plagued with panic attacks, haunted by the past, and sharing a room with David, who he is definitely not attracted to. And then there's Kate. She's having a job crisis, popping pills, and pretending she doesn’t notice how distant the boys have grown. And David? The eternally calm, blue-eyed beauty’s health is deteriorating and he’s mysteriously blacking out.

But when they learn someone may have discovered their darkest secret and is now stalking them--and blackmailing Josh's father, a conservative media personality with secrets of his own, renovation and relationship woes take a back seat. Suddenly, their past is unraveling, and the shocking truths unearthed will have them questioning everything from family ties and friendships to love, loss, and the lengths they’re willing to go for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment