Thursday, June 23, 2022

INTERVIEW with GAIL MEATH

 

I would like to thank Gail Meath for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Award-winning author Gail Meath writes historical romance novels that will whisk you away to another time and place in history where you will meet fascinating characters, both fictional and real, who will capture your heart and soul. Meath loves writing about little or unknown people, places and events in history, rather than relying on the typical stories and settings.

The subgenres of her books vary from action-packed westerns, plot twisting murder mysteries and biographies of powerful women who defied the strict rules of society fighting for the freedom of their countries. Her romances may exclude steamy sexual scenes, yet the intensity between heroine and hero will satisfy your deepest fantasies.

Outside of writing, she spends loads of time with her husband, children and grandchildren. 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I discovered my ability to write well early in high school.  I wasn’t the best student, but boy, when there was an essay question on a test, I aced it every time whether I knew the correct answer or not.  

That’s when I started writing stories, although it took years for me to gather my courage to start publishing.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

My father was an artist, painter and sculptor.  I didn’t inherit his artistic ability, but it was his devotion to art and music and creativity that encouraged me to use my imagination and follow my own passion.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Agustina de Aragón and Countess Jacqueline are based on true stories of real-life heroines in history.  

Many of my characters are based upon different traits of people I know, and one villain in The Perfect Sister, was based upon my ex-husband😊

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I always start out by researching different eras and real people in history from all over the world.  Most of my books are about unknown or forgotten people, places or events.  

Jax Diamond Mysteries developed from my love of watching old movies with my mom.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I start with a basic idea and set up a spreadsheet to keep track, but I write the story as I go, allowing the characters to take the lead.  

And in my new mystery series I find that the villain(s) is never who I thought it would be!

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I am a very visual person, so I often develop the character’s personality, then fit it with a photo/image.  It helps me to take their characters to a different level.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love to write and research history, which is why I chose historical romance as my main genre…doing both relaxes me.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Ugh.  I’m so bad.  I’ve been so busy writing my new series, I haven’t had time to read all the ones on my list.  I also like a variety of book genres, so I honestly don’t have any new favorites.  (I love the classics, Rebecca, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Anything Agatha Christie).

 

What are your favorite books by others?

I cannot wait to read a new one, Lessons in Chemistry, by Bonnie Garmus.  It’s supposed to be great and such a hoot since it takes place in 1960s.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I love discovering new places.  I’m not a traveler, so it is super exciting for me to travel in my research.  

While writing Agustina de Aragón, I absolutely fell in love with Spain!  It is/looks so very beautiful there.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I always write in more than one POV, whether it is the protagonist(s) or the antagonist(s).  But I try very hard not to switch them up too often.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

The internet, the library, and my trusted thesaurus.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No, I always write under my own name.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write historical romance novels in the sub-genres of mysteries, westerns, medieval, and biographies.  

I love historical research and who doesn’t love romance?

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Speaking of my love for variety, I used to own a breakfast diner – a whole lot of work, but a lot of fun. 

I helped out a neighbor farmer and plowed 2-30 acre fields for him when a worker was sick (love John Deere tractors with radios and air conditioning!). 

I play classical piano like a pro, and outside of my love for all my canine companions, I adore bird-watching, and I love frogs.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write what you love to write about, and your passion will shine through.

Developing great characters is of utmost importance.

Learn how to utilize all aspects of social media!  (I’m still working on this:)

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It depends.  A negative review where the reader explains his/her reasons helps me to become a better writer, for sure.  

A negative rating without a review drives me a little nuts.  I want to know why!


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Sitting at the computer for too long and not getting enough exercise!!


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Honestly, I could write anywhere…in the quietest setting or the noisiest.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

The only thing I can think of is that I’ll wake up at 3-4 am with an idea or the image of a scene in my mind, and I get up to start writing no matter how tired I am.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Since I’m writing a mysteries series now, I would love to spend the day with Agatha Christie and pick her creative brain.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I don’t really snack and water is always on hand…until 4-5 pm when I may or may not pour myself a glass of wine😊


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I love listening to a variety of music while writing and having it in the background, but when I lose myself in writing or reading, I don’t even hear it.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Only when their puppies!  We have a little Boston Terrier now, and all she wants to do is play ball!  So, she’ll stare me down with the ball in her mouth until I can’t stand it anymore and play with her.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

The only thing that can stop me cold is a negative review.  I know every reader has their own preferences, etc., and negative reviews are to be expected.  But I always feel terrible letting a reader down and for a while, I might lose some writing confidence.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Only one, and it was heartbreaking, but understandable (he wasn’t murdered).


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

My hubby cracks open a bottle of cheap champagne.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Gail Meath!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-gail-meath.html#more


Make sure to give Gail Meath a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!


Connect with Gail:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Signup:


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I so enjoyed doing this interview! Thank you so much for taking the time :)

      Delete