Wednesday, June 15, 2022

INTERVIEW with DEYSI O'DONAL

 


I want to thank Deysi O'Donal for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Deysi is married to her high school sweetheart and the love of her life. Living her happily-ever-after with two amazing kids, three cats, and a neurotic border collie.

She has been penning stories since she could hold a pencil and spends most days working as a vampire and her nights playing with the imaginary friends that live in her head. On the off chance she’s not writing, or stabbing people with needles, she probably has her nose in a book. Something particularly vexing to her co-workers and family.

She enjoys loud music, sunny afternoons, and leisurely trips through social media.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always been a storyteller. 

I can remember my imagination getting me in trouble as far back as kindergarten, when I’d much rather make up fantastical worlds instead of focusing on school.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Mary Downing Hall was the first author that really impacted me and sparked my love for reading. 

RL Stein. Christopher Pike. Lois Duncan. To name a few.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Subconsciously, I’m sure. But I’ve never purposely based a character off anyone I know in real life.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

It depends. Sometimes I’ll get inspiration from art or music. Sometimes dreams. 

Sometimes characters just pop out of the ether and demand that their stories need to be told. And who am I to argue with them.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m very much a pantser. However, I’ve learned that starting with at least a vague outline makes the process go much quicker. 

That doesn’t mean that my characters always stick with it.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

More so with my alien characters. Usually, I let them come to me first then I find images that I think look like them.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading for sure. I’m not much of a TV watcher, since I can’t seem to sit still long enough to sit through a show or movie (unless I’m at a theater). 

But give me a good book and I’ll curl up for the whole day.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Some of my one click authors are VK Ludwig, Zoey Draven, Kresley Cole, Elizabeth Stephens, Grace Draven and my very good friend Anna Fury.

 

What are your favorite books by others?

It’s so hard to pick favorites! Radiance by Grace Draven is certainly one.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not always. My space locations are purely made up. 

However I’ve used real locations in other stories I’ve written, and funny thing is I’ve never been to any of these places. Or realized that I had any desire to visit until I wrote about them.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual first POV. 

I really enjoy being able to switch between my characters and really get into their heads.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google. It’s fast and handy and I don’t always have a lot of time to really dig in and research.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, just the one for now. There is a very short list of people I know in real life who know that I publish alien romance, and I’m fine with that.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Currently I’m writing sci-fi romance. 

I’ll also be branching out and adding some paranormal romance in the future, because both of those genres are what I enjoy reading.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’ve worked lots of jobs over the years but went back to school for nursing after having my kids, only to end up as a phlebotomist instead. 

So now I can say that I’m a professional vampire.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write what you love. Write often. 

Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and get critiques of your work, then learn from those critiques. 

Get comfortable accepting constructive critism. Don’t give up!

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It depends on how negative. Sometimes with a glass of whiskey. Other times, I’ll share them with my writer friends so I can learn to be better.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding the time. I work full time in health care, so my writing takes the backseat more often than I’d like.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Noise cancelling earbuds and loud music.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Losing all sense of time. When I’m really in the zone I can lose an entire day, which means my husband and son have to fend for themselves.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Kresley Cole! 

Her world building and character development are what I aspire to! 

Although if I ever actually got her attention, I’d more likely just stare at her with stars in my eyes, because I’m not as outgoing as I like to think I am.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

When I have time set aside for writing, my must-haves are a hot cup of coffee and the right music playing. The place doesn’t seem to matter. I can write in my bed or in my office or at the table or outside. I’m flexible like that.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Oh, yes! Usually it’s hard rock and metal, but it depends on the story. 

I also have an instrumental playlist and a movie soundtrack playlist. Sometimes I just need white noise. It depends.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have three cats and a border collie, who thinks it is her job in life to make sure the cats don’t bother me while I’m working. 

Which means that at any given time they are all in my space and driving me crazy.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

My cell phone! Social media especially. It just sucks me in.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes 😟

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Pampering my family with a home cooked meal, since I’ve probably been neglecting them for weeks at that point!

 

 I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Deysi O'Donal!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-deysi-odonal.html


Make sure to give a shout out to Deysi and FOLLOW her on social media!

CONNECT WITH DEYSI:

Email:
deysiodonal@gmail.com     

Website:
www.deysiodonal.net

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B097LX1GKQ

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21161611.Deysi_O_Donal

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/deysi-o-donal

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/deysi.odonal/

Facebook Group:
Deysi’s Delinquents

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/deysiwritergirl/

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://deysiodonal.eo.page/1zqgz

 

No comments:

Post a Comment