Tuesday, June 28, 2022

INTERVIEW with TENA STETLER

 

I want to thank Tena Stetler for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Tena Stetler is a best-selling author of award winning paranormal romance/mystery with an over-active imagination.  She wrote her first vampire romance as a tween, to the chagrin of her mother and the delight of her friends. Colorado is home; shared with her husband, a brilliant Chow Chow, a spoiled parrot and a forty-five-year-old box turtle. When she’s not writing, her time is spent kayaking, camping, hiking, biking or just relaxing in the great Colorado outdoors.

 Her books tell tales of magical kick-ass women and mystical alpha males that dare to love them. Travel, adventure, magic, and a bit of mystery flourish in her books along with a few companion animals to round out the tales.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

As soon as I could read and write. I have always been a voracious reader. As a youngster, if I didn’t like the ending or something about a story I was reading, I’d rewrite it to suit me.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

Nora Roberts, Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew Series) 

Edward Stratemeyer (Hardy Boys series) 

Kathryn Kenny/Julie Campbell Tatham (Trixie Belden books)

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not really.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?  

My overactive imagination, dreams and visions.

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?  

The characters lead the way. 

I start with a 5 page Character Interview Sheet. So I know my characters inside and out before I start the story.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

Sometimes, but mostly I picture the characters in my mind.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

Listen to an audiobook or sometimes read.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

Tony Hillerman, Anne Hillerman, Nora Roberts, Molly Harper, and Anne McCaffrey

 

What are your favorite books by others? 

Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, Awakening and Beginning by Nora Roberts, Rockhouse Grill and Jazz House by D.V. Stone, various time travels by Casi McLean

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

Yes. I think a great setting/location can be a great character itself.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

Usually 3rd person.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool? 

The internet. 

Some of the videos you find are like being where ever the video is shot. For example, when writing A Magic Redemption, I found this video posted by a family who documented their trip to Ireland.  After watching the video, I felt like I’d just been to Ireland. What fun.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name? 

Nope, I write under my real time.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference? 

I write paranormal, fantasy mystery.  

I have to live in reality, it’s overrated. I love spending time in the worlds and with the character’s I create.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

I was a radio DJ for a few years. 

I love animals and have supported and worked with animal rescue organizations. 

I skated and taught for a number of years (roller not ice). 

I was a paralegal for over 20 years, then switched to IT for an electrical contracting firm, before becoming a full time published author.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

Write what you love. 

Write from the heart. 

Don’t give up. 

Study your craft.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

I read them once. If there is constructive info, I use it. If not, I chalk it up to writing and reading is subjective.  

What one person loves, another may hate. You have to have a tough skin in this business.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

I turn off the internet and social media until I meet my word count for the day.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing? 

Peanut M&M’s and double dipped chocolate peanuts.                      


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

Molly Harper 

Her ability to make me laugh is fantastic.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing? 

I spend the first two hours on promo, then answer emails for 30 minutes. The rest of my 8 hour day is spent writing. 


Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 

Coke Zero with lots and lots of ice.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No. I like it quiet with I write. I find if I listen to music, pretty soon I’m singing along, then some of the words wind up in my story.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

No my pets are a great support to me. 

My parrot, Taco, sits on my shoulder as I write. Sometimes she makes suggestions which I usually ignore. 

My dog, Mystic, can be found at my feet or in the middle of my writing cave. 

Sammy turtle is an independent spirit and can be found anywhere in the house.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Not feeling well. When I first started writing, I wrote even if I felt bad, but soon discovered that I tended to kill off characters and other evil things, so decided to wait until a more sunny disposition over come me. That way I don’t have to do a bunch of rewrites. LOL


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 

No, at least I don’t think so.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 

Clean my writing cave and desk so I can start a new book in a fresh clean unclutter environment. 

Also, indulge in watching a little TV. Not a big TV fan. But I do love to watch the Denver Avalanche and Denver Broncos seasons.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Tena Stetler!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-tena-stetler.html#more


Make sure to give Tena Stetler as shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Tena:

Website:

Authors’ Secret’s Blog:

My Say What Blog:

http://www.tenastetler.com/category/my-say-what-blog/


Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook Page:

Instagram:

Twitter Page:

Pinterest:

Tribber:

Tumblr:

LinkedIn:

Newsletter signups:


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Deb, for the wonderful interview. You asked all the right questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for doing the interview! I loved featuring you :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete