Monday, August 15, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - HOME TO STAY by Becke Turner

 

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Home to Stay

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Becke Turner's Home to Stay, book one of the A Clocktower Romance Series!


***Synopis***

The Clocktower Romance series books are connected by the setting Sunberry, North Carolina. However, it includes the Murphy Family and their friends.

Home to Stay starts the series when widow Ava Robey moves her three sons and daughter to her hometown after her husband is killed in Afghanistan.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? 

Southern small town, single mom, military, competition romance


Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

I started writing when my first son was born. I had no clue about genres. I wrote the story rambling around inside my head. 

I learned after five complete manuscripts that I wrote romance with the common theme of returning or building a home.

 

Are you more character or plot driven?

Character driven.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? 

I created a story bible to list characters, key events, and story details like houses and Sunberry businesses.


Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I have a monthly calendar to remind me of deadlines and projected progress. 

I limit my creating to the computer. If I let myself go, I would spend my time creating huge collages with nothing on the page.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

I like strong, independent women and often have to tone them down during revision.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

Physical characteristics or movie/TV characters. Afterall, a gal likes to dream!


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

Again, I try to envision a movie/TV character and go from there.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

Getting the dialogue and emotion right for the black moment can be challenging. I often rewrite it several times. 

In Home to Stay I rewrote the ending to make it more unpredictable.


What is your favorite book in the series?

It’s always the last one I wrote because it’s fresh in my mind. 

I strive to make each book better than the last, the characters more memorable. However, reading is subjective. Books touch readers because of what the reader brings to the experience.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Whit Murphy holds a special place in my heart because he was never bitter or resentful and overcame his issues with kindness.


Series question – Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

I try to develop two people who will rub one another the wrong way, make them think, and question themselves. 

To me, H/H friction ensures story conflict and dialogue opportunities.


How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

I use a character profile template and a craft book on character archetypes to prime the writing pump. Once I start writing, the characters take off with quirks of their own.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

I loved writing the kids at the table for memory night (Home to Stay).

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

Every book is hard. Authors have an old saying that a writer sits at the keyboard and opens a vein!

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

It isn’t finished yet. However, I launched the first book Home to Stay 11/5/20.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

My husband and I attended a concert at the Opera House in Newberry, SC.

I fell in love with the picturesque little town and feel like it offers the best of life. However, my story required a Marine base, so I created a fictitious town based on Newberry near Camp Lejeune in NC. 

Check out Newberry at their website. https://discoversouthcarolina.com/products/10151


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

Just like people, some I would like. Others would squeeze my very last nerve!


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

Yes. I planned this series based on aging the Murphy children.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Could I have a young Sam Elliot? LOL. I can’t get by his sexy voice.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

I’m working on a short story for a charity next. As soon as it’s finished, I’ll start Hope’s romance. She’s the last of the Murphy siblings. 

I just had a contest for my subscribers, and they chose Hope for an enemies to lovers, second chance romance.

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Becke Turner!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/07/author-at-glance-becke-turner.html

Bio:

Becke Turner retired her healthcare data analyst hat to write contemporary romance full time. Her stories reflect her varied interests of anything medicine, animals, adventure, and family. To lend authenticity to her military characters/settings, Becke quizzes her son, a U.S. Navy pilot, and her son-in-law, a retired Marine Major. 

Although she spent a lifetime training, showing, and breeding horses, her four-year sabbatical to operate the family cattle ranch in Southern Missouri evolved into her cowboy stories. And yes, every state has its share of guys in boots and hats.

She writes contemporary romance revolving around her love of medicine, animals, adventure, and family. Her stories have finaled and won multiple contests including the national Golden Heart, and regional Maggie. She is a member of Forever Golden and Georgia Romance Writers.

She loves to hear from readers. Click HERE to be included in Turner Town News, learn more about Becke and her books, sign up for her Book Mates, or contact her by email.


Connect with Becke:

 


HOME TO STAY

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

The last thing Ava Robey needs is a man, especially Ryan Murphy, the officer responsible for her husband’s death. To open Robey’s Rewards to support her family and honor her husband, she must win the only available lease in historic Sunberry. Wouldn’t you know, Ryan is her competitor? And she for sure won’t be falling for him in the middle of a fierce competition.

She’s not falling for his kindness, his help with her boys, or his help repairing the farm. Besides, he’s trying to ease his guilt by helping out the poor widow and her kids. Too bad for him because she and her boys are going to kick him to the curb and win that lease.

Five years haven’t eased Marine officer Ryan Murphy’s guilt about losing the best man in his unit. Now, he’s losing his heart to the man’s widow. But how does he choose between a comrade and a widow, especially when the family he never believed he could have is right in front of him?

If you like a second chance romance with a courageous woman willing to risk everything for family, you’ll enjoy Becke Turner’s award-winning romance HOME TO STAY. Escape to the Sunberry, North Carolina world of romance. Pick up your copy of HOME TO STAY, today.

As with all Clocktower Romances, HOME TO STAY is a complete story with a happily-ever-after.

No comments:

Post a Comment