Sunday, December 12, 2021

INTERVIEW with BRYNN FORD

 

I want to thank Brynn Ford for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Brynn Ford writes dark romance for daring readers. She is a lover of the dark, twisted, and playful and strives to bring the unmentionable aspects of passionate romance into her stories.

Brynn lives in the Midwestern United States with her husband and sons, whom she expects will someday be embarrassed by their mom's books. When she isn't obsessively writing, you may find her binge watching favorite shows while eating far too much junk food or fanatically reading, always seeking to lose herself in the emotional roller coaster of a damn good story.

She is quite the idealist despite her fascination with the wicked and warped aspects of humanity. She’s a firm believer that her characters continue to live on outside the pages in the minds of her readers. Stories don’t just end because there aren’t any more pages to turn.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Though I'd been writing for a long time, it never occurred to me that writing and publishing was something I actually wanted to do seriously until just a few years ago. I lost someone incredibly close to me five years ago—it was completely unexpected and it changed everything in my world. 

Writing was something I shared with this person, and after they were gone, I used writing as a way to connect with memories of them. It developed into a sort of therapy for me, and it brought me back to writing fictional stories. Sometime after that, I realized that this was something I wanted to do with my life. 

I wanted to write a book and dedicate it to the person that I lost. I did just that. And then I just kept writing.

  

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I was a major horror/thriller fan, and my first favorite author was Dean Koontz. Truthfully, I didn't read a whole lot until later in life when I found out dark romance was an actual genre. Pepper Winters and Pam Godwin quickly became influential writers for me.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

It's done unintentionally, but all of my female protagonists have represented some unique part of my personality. I'm not like any one of them individually, but each of them is represent an exaggerated version of a single aspect of myself. But all my other characters? No real-life basis.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere. My story ideas hit me randomly and start out as something really small. Anything could spark it… a movie I'm watching, something someone says to me, or my mind randomly connecting something I know to something I just learned.

 

Do you use a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I do a little bit of both. I start with a chapter by chapter outline, but I allow the characters to tell me their story as I'm writing it. My outlines usually change a few times before the first draft is done; sometimes it's just hard to know where things are going until I start writing and getting to know the characters better.

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

ALWAYS. And this is one of the most fun parts of writing for me. I usually have a blurry image of a character in my mind when they first come to me; like someone has handed me a photo of them, but made me take off my glasses to look at it. When I'm in the process of outlining and trying to figure out the vibe of the book, I'll spend a chunk of time looking through photos online, and I always manage to find a model or celebrity that just strikes me, and I know that's the character. The image of them becomes clearer, then, and somehow it unlocks their personality for me. I visualize stories like movies in my mind, so it's almost like I have to cast the actor who plays them before I write. It's actually a pretty big part of my creative process.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

If I'm not writing or reading, then I'm probably just hanging out on the couch watching Netflix or scrolling mindlessly through TikTok.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

There are so many amazing authors, and I feel like whoever I'm reading at the moment is my current favorite!

 

What are your favorite books by others?

One series that has always stuck out for me is the Indebted series by Pepper Winters. I was discovering that series around the time I was realizing that I wanted to write, and it was one of my first dark romance reads. I fell in love with the incredible writing and amazing story, and it's just one of those reads that will always stick with me.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not usually. Sometimes I'm inspired by places I've visited. Jagged Line Paradise is a story that was born out of a trip my husband and I took to the Grand Canyon. But otherwise, the locations in the books are set by the characters and where they tell me their stories take place.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write multiple POV. Romance is so character driven—I think it's important to be able to show what's happening internally for all the main characters involved.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google is my best friend!

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write dark romance because I love it. I'm a big fan of horror, thrillers, and romance, and I think the best stories are the ones that blend all of those elements together.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I used to be a sixth grade math and science teacher, and I have a Master's degree in education. 

I love coloring books for grown-ups. 

I change my hair color a lot. 

I've struggled with OCD for much of my life, and if you look closely, you might just see what that looks like for me coming out through my characters.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write fearlessly—as if no one will ever read your book—and have faith in yourself. 

Putting your stories out into the world isn't easy at any stage, but you have to remember why you're doing it. Someone in the world needs to read your story, and if you don't write it and put it out there, they'll never find it.

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Negative reviews are a funny thing. They never feel good to read because we pour so much of ourselves into creating the best book we possibly can only to find out that someone in the world hates it. This was really hard for me to cope with after publishing my first couple of books. But it has gotten easier over time. The reason for this is because I spend more time engaging with my readers and fans than I do reading reviews of my books.

As artists, we have to come to terms with the fact that art is subjective—it won't be received the same by any two people. That's what makes art amazing. And to be able to share that art with the masses means that it's going to find people who don't like it… inevitably, it will find people who outright hate it. But here's the thing about hate—it's a damn strong emotion. It requires passion. And if my books can inspire a passionate reaction so strong that it compels a reader to write a scathing review, then I feel as though I've done what I set out to do. I've created something impactful.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Writing the first draft! This is the hardest and least liked part for me. I know a lot of authors love this part… finally writing the story and getting words down on paper. 

But for me, editing is my favorite part because that's when I actually get to read the story that's been in my head for so long. First drafts are tedious and exhausting. Editing lets me make my words beautiful, add depth to my characters, and finally see what's been in my head for so long on paper.

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Nothing. If I really want to focus, I have to eliminate distractions, just sit down with my laptop, and write. How often do I do that? Not as often as I should! I usually end up on the couch with the TV on in the background for the kids and all the distractions in the world surrounding me…but I always find a way to make it work somehow!

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Writing happens in odd little bits and pieces for me. I have a full-time day job, a long commute, and 2 kiddos that keep me pretty busy, but I try to sit down and write a little bit every day to stay on top of deadlines. No two writing sessions look the same for me!

I don't think I have a favorite snack, but I do write faster if I've got a Starbucks Iced White Chocolate Mocha within reach.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I'll often listen to a specific song or playlist when doing first draft writing. I'll usually listen to songs that remind me of the characters, the setting, or the vibe of the scene I'm currently writing. 

Music has a strong impact on my emotional state, so it really impacts the emotions of the characters while I'm writing, too. I have a playlist for every book!

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

TikTok. True crime shows. Trashy reality TV. If I get pulled into any of those, I'm gonna be lost for a few hours, which probably means I'm not going to meet my word count that day.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I don't know if "loved" is the right word so, sort of? I promise that it hurt me as much as it hurt my readers, though!

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

This is something I'm really bad at. I don't really do anything to celebrate. I maybe take a day to recoup, and then I'm right back at it! I definitely would encourage other authors NOT to do this, though. It's a huge accomplishment to finish a book and it deserves to be celebrated… I'm just a bit of a workaholic and I'm really bad at celebrating!

 

I hope you enjoyed my interview with Brynn Ford!


Make sure to give Brynn a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect with Brynn:

EMAIL   WEBSITE  FACEBOOK

FACEBOOK GROUP  AMAZON  GOODREADS

BOOKBUB  INSTAGRAM  TIKTOK

NEWSLETTER

 

Check out my review of Brynn's books!

THE FOUR FAMILIES Series
This series is meant to be read in order!

Counts of Eight (Book One)
Dance with Death (Book Two)
Pas de Trois (Book Three)
King of Masters (Book Four)
THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - The Four Families Series



Start THE FOUR FAMILIES Series now on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment