Thursday, June 2, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - PERFECTLY IMPERFECTLY A MESS by Katie Brady

 


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Perfectly Imperfectly a Mess

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Katie Brady's Perfectly Imperfectly a Mess!


SYNOPSIS:

The book is a memoir of a trauma ridden life based on sexual, physical and mental abuse. Through all the trauma, I found a relationship with God & healed and began to love myself.

 


What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?


It was decided before I began because I knew I couldn’t tell my story without it being a memoir. It wouldn’t have the impact if it was a fictional world. 

 


Are you more character or plot driven?


In the current book I’m writing it’s character driven and I suppose in Perfectly Imperfectly I was as well. 

 


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?


This was easy for me since it was my life. When it became difficult was when I changed peoples names, that was when it was hard to remember who was who, so I had a cheat sheet next to my laptop. 

 


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?


Nope, they were definitely their own people. 

 


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?


The men are people I know

 


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?


Yes, they are women I know personally 

 


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?


The chapter about my brother was difficult to write and consistently relive. Writing my domestic violence experience was incredibly difficult but extremely helpful at the same time. Both sent me to my therapist’s couch. 

 


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

 

My favorite person in the book besides my own children would be my best friend, Traci. 



What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?


My father telling me “I was unlovable”. Because that phrase has stuck with me since he said it and rung in my ears like a daily wake up call. 

 


How long did it take you to write this book/series?

 

This book took me 4 years to write. I wrote and threw out so many different pages and restarted because I wanted it perfect. 



How did you come up with the title for your book?


That was the easiest and hardest part. In my house, perfection was not only expected but it was vital to get noticed growing up. So naturally, I grew weary of trying and became an outcast and the family mess. It didn’t matter that I was the only college graduate, what mattered was that I didn’t conform to my parents perfect expectations. There is a song from Simple Plan called “Perfect” and it starts out with ‘hey dad look at me think back and talk to me did I grow up according to plan?’ I played that song when I wrote because it always made me think of my dad. I was not the daughter he wanted, but the one he got.  


So, Perfectly Imperfectly A Mess was born. 

 


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?


Oh we do not

 


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?


I actually may do a follow up book on this one, so maybe it will be a series. I’ve been pondering that. 

 


If your book was made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

 

Oh I dream of this often! 

Me-Gina Rodriguez

Traci-Ashley Williams-Paisley

My Dad-Michael Keaton

My mom-Morgan Fairchild

My stepmother-Wendy Malick

My brother- Bryshere Gray

My older daughters father-Donald Glover 

My exhusband-John Favreau

My friend Brandon-Michael B Jordan

Jason-Jesse Williams

Brian-Miles Teller

Kayla-Zendaya

Riley-Hailey Pullos


There are other people, but those are the ones I’ve thought about. I know who I’d want to direct it too. 



Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?


I have finished a children’s book, and that’s being illustrated now. That is geared towards children with two homes and mixed race families. I’m working on a couple poetry books, that has always been my first love and writing my first romance. 

 

Check out all my interviews & reviews for Katie Brady!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/05/author-at-glance-katie-brady.html#more



BIO:

K.M. Brady is the author of Perfectly Imperfectly A Mess, and Elephant Journal article, Strength Through Heartbreak

A medical professional by day, writer by night, she received her Associates of Science in Business Administration and Management from Columbia College.

A Miami native, she is a lover of poetry, sports, and beaches, and currently residing in North Carolina. She believes that "There is a light at the end of your trauma." 

Her favorite writer is Pierre Alex Jeanty, writer of poetry books like Her and Him. She believes that through faith, love, honesty and strength, you can overcome anything.


Connect with Katie:

 

Email:
authorkmbrady@gmail.com


Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

Facebook: 

Instagram:

Twitter:

Tiktok:

 


Get PERFECTLY IMPERFECTLY A MESS today!
Read for FREE with Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

This is a love letter to a tragic childhood draped in fear, sexual abuse, physical and mental abuse, and lies; and the growth that flowed through the unimaginable pain. 

This is a book for anyone that has lost their faith or confidence in themselves because of situations beyond your control. It is a story about loss, courage, struggle, and love. 

The story is an exploration of how we as traumatized adults have grown from our childhood and its many painful scenarios. This is about overcoming the negative ideals of others about you and turning them into positive experiences for change and growth. 

This is for those searching for their true selves all while embracing the pain that we sometimes don't talk about or want to remember. 

This is a story based on true events and occurrences, but most of all it is a story of survival and strength through adversity. It also takes a look at how EMDR therapy can help trauma and PTSD survivors feel whole again. While searching for the will, courage, and strength that she needed, she found not only all of that within herself but also found her relationship with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment