Monday, June 14, 2021

INTERVIEW with IMMORTALITY MY DARLIN


I want to thank Immortality My Darlin for taking the time for my interview!  


Immortality My Darlin is a new author and I have to admit that when she approached me to be on her Advance Reader Team that I was leery of the author's name, but after my interview and especially after reading THE GIFT THAT WAS PROMISED I slapped myself and remembered to not judge because I am totally blown away by what I read.  

Below you will find my interview and I hope you will give this new author a chance because she is an excellent writer!  I cannot wait to see what she writes in the future!


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was in fifth grade when it was discovered I had a gift for writing.  It started when we had to write poetry and I wrote a poem called Misunderstood.  I saw the emotion of those listening, and it inspired me...because if you can't make people feel something, then what's the point.

I was in high school reading a lot of novels (Ellen Hopkins) when I finally decided that I wanted to write my own book, that I wanted to be a part of greatness.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Hmm I think growing up my influencers was Lurlene McDaniel and Ellen Hopkins.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No, all my characters are fictional.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Hmm, honestly it can come from anywhere, a deep conversation, television, music.  But The Gift That Was Promised took root when I heard a song by Birdy years ago called The Same and at the time I was becoming obsessed with humanity.  Then that led to good vs. evil and what makes us good or bad and motives behind characteristics.  And from there wanted to create my own understanding of humanity so I wrote a creation story.  And then it kind of sprung from there LOL.

My favorite part of being an author or artist, in general, is that there are no rules when creating.  It's almost like playing god.

I enjoy making people feel something that's raw and real.  The darkness we don't necessarily like to embrace or even admit to.  Because the truth is, whether we like to admit it or not, we all feel.  I just prefer to touch on that in my music and writing, to remind us that it's okay to feel, to hurt, to be broken.  Because that's what makes us the same.

It's truly a bitter-sweet pleasure to grow with your characters.  I've found that while creating different ones, that it's made me more understanding.  Because you have to get inside the mind of the character.  Learning what motivates them, what makes them tick.  Fears, insecurities, how they react to different situations.  What makes a person good or evil, and the fine line between both.

I, like many of my favorite authors, have a special love and appreciation for all things dark, twisted, romantic, and emotional.  After all, what's better than a twisted love story, immortals, good vs. evil, humanity vs. immortality, or just the rawest form of art where there's no judgment, but rather perspective.

I prefer to move people, rather than to entertain; because if you can't feel it, then what's the point?


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Hmm, I try to do the outline thing, but I often end up being influenced by the characters.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I usually picture them in my head first and then after it's written I try to find pics that come close to what I envisioned.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.   What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Honestly, I'm an avid reader so I love reading.  I love losing myself in a good book.  I also love art, music, writing, creating, it doesn't matter.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Hmm, my favorite.  I'm liking Claire Kingsley, Sarah J. Moss, Stephanie Hudson, Lily Archer...oh the list goes on LOL.


What are your favorite books by others?

My fav books...I can't say that I can place a favorite, but I loved Ellen Hopkins books to this day.  Her storytelling is amazing and Crescent City is really high up on my list right now.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Nah, though honestly, I prefer a made-up world that way it's no bias or pretense, you get what you get.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I typically write in multiple POV.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Definitely Google.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, Immorality My Darlin.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance, sometimes dark fantasy romance or sometimes just dark romance or just romance LOL.  I love a good love story, but I also like things that challenge the story, as well as, the readers.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.   Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits....what led to you being you?

Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois

Favorite genre of books are:  dark fantasy/paranormal/fairy/folk/fiction/romance

Loves the emotion words can bring

Loves metaphors 💓

Reading, writing, and playing music are a few of my favorite things in the world.  Well, outside of my love for food, and my dog Jdog (aka beast!).

I also enjoy arts & crafts, going to roam around blick art stores for hours on end, cooking, listening to music, Grey's Anatomy (because Meredith Grey is my spirit animal), chilling and laughing.

My favorite color is black (typical, I know) like my dark soul LOL!

I guess I prefer dark things, because to me that's when the small slithers of light seem to make all the difference.

Hmm something about myself outside of writing?  I love to cook & laugh and sing, as well as, watch emotional romantic movies and musicals.  I love the theatre.  I recently retired from running my own spa for five years.  Quirky traits?  Hmm, I'd say a lot about me is quirky LOL.  I kind of just play by my own rhythm.  And as far as what leads to being me...I guess I stop trying to live by the world's standards and did my own thing, despite what people claimed were limits.  I'm a firm believer of if you want something bad enough you make it happen.  So yeah 😏

But, truly I'm honored and grateful to anyone who took the time to read this, and anything else I may have put out there.  And I hope that if nothing else, I remind you that we're not so different after all.  Because at the end of the day, that's what this is all for.  To reach those who are just simply looking for a way to escape.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

My advice would be, write the story you want to tell.  Don't worry about if they'll like it, or stress about the rules because there's none.  It's art.  There are no rules.


Connect w/ Immortality My Darlin:

Email:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Amazon:


Check out my review of books by Immortality My Darlin



Start the series now!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

No comments:

Post a Comment